Accordingly, there are two holes on the new light that you insert the wires into.
You can do away with the entire third brake light housing (I kept mine in case I wanted to save it and go back to the original assembly.)
Now that all of the old housing was gone, it was time to begin setting up the new light. I inspected the connecting pieces that were on the new light and thought hard about how I would keep the wires connected. My final solution was to pry a gap open on the light's rings that were surrounding the wire connection (See pic), insert the wires, then use pliers to crimp the rings together, ultimately holding the wires in place with the connection. (It does not matter which wire goes to which connection).
Before inserting the light into the spare, check to make sure the light illuminates when the breaks are pressed. You could easily do this by having someone watch for you, but because I was alone, and Sasha couldn't help me out here, I used the 10 second delay on my camera and pressed the brake pedal when the picture was taken.
Once the wires both fit snug and the light illuminates, it's time to put everything back together. I (alone
) lifted the spare tire up onto the rear bumper at an angle, supporting it with my stomach (finally a good reason for that beer belly), looking over onto the inner side of the spare tire. Then I inserted the light into the center cap's hole, tapped it a couple times with the screwdriver, and put the spare back on.
Once again, use whatever method you want to check to make sure it's working before you tighten everything down. Here are the pictures I used with the delay option on my camera to make sure the light was illuminating after everything was put together.
Tighten everything down, sit back, enjoy the mod, and have a cold one.
And thanks for reading my write-up.