C-Rok Inner Steering Support Brace - XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Technical Articles & Write-Ups > C-Rok Inner Steering Support Brace - XJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

C-Rok Inner Steering Support Brace - XJ

Total Time For Install - 1 hour 30 minutes approx.

Installed on - 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Tools Used - 16mm socket and ratchet, 22mm socket

Materials Needed - C-Rok support brace, 3 steering box bolts, 1 - 9/16" Grade 8 nylock nut and bolt, 3 - 5/8" dia. spacers

Notes: I did not take the tire off to do this project. With my tirmmed fenders and lift, it was no problem to get to the bolts.

Here is what the kit came with, (minus the bolts, so just the spacer and the metal cylindrical spacers, not pictured)

1) Here is what I started with:

Remove the three steering box bolts. CAREFULLY, otherwise they will snap and it will make this project much longer. Ask me how i know!

2) Once bolts are taken off, pop off the spacer that sits between the unibody and steering box

Here is the differnce, the C-Rok is just pure beef compared to stock

3)
Once all three bolts are in order to get the spacers in, you must drill out the three holes. I used about a 1/2" bit to ream out the bumper bracket and steering box bolts just enough to tap the spacers in with a mallet or hammer.

4) Slide the steering box bolts back through the sleeves and mount the spacer on the inside of the "frame". Put the 9/16" bolt through as well.

5) Tighten the steering box bolts first, going around a couple times to insure they are tight. APPLY lock-tight to all the steering box bolts

6) Finally tighten the 9/16" bolt completely.

7) You are done! GO back and tighten the bolts daily for the first week to make sure they are completly tight.

Overall the process isnt too bad at all. The steering feels much more complete and solid. Especially with AJs bumper mounts on the outside.

bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 01:38 AM   #2
Finallyajeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

bringing back a thread from the dead....I have a question, I am about to install the C-rok inner and outer brace. When you remove the steering box bolts do I need something to support the steering box because wont it fall out with the bolts removed, or is there something keeping it in place? Thanks!
Unread 06-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It will stay up there.

Getting everything lined back up is a bit of a pain due to the weight of the steering box, start with the bottom, rear, then top bolt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.