Adding a second switch bezel to a TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Technical Articles & Write-Ups > Adding a second switch bezel to a TJ

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 08-26-2008, 08:37 AM   #1
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Adding a second switch bezel to a TJ

I have (or will have) 4 sets of aux lighting that I want to control and I'm tired of having stickon switches on the dash. I didn't want to mess with OEM switches as they are pricier and I didn't want to search junkyards for those.

Here is what I have got...

Parts

- Bezel from a TJ - 7.00 or so at a junkyard

- 4 ARB switches (Carling manufacturer PN V1D1J66B -7.30 each from www.offroadtoystore.com

- 4 ARB actuator (covers) with blue lenses PN VVAYC00-000 - 1.30 each from www.otrattw.com

Tools

- Phillips screwdriver

- Wire stripper

- Wire butt splices

- Wire spade connectors

- Wire cutters

- 18 or 16 ga wire
<<>>

Cigarette hole is filled with Cobra 75WxST mounting grommet so I can run the CB's connect to this and have it look clean (more in a bit).

Installed with all switches (except one)

Installed and working

The 4 and 5 switches are powered for dash illumination, but no lights are connected yet. Switch 1 and 2 are my lockers. Switch 3 is my front fogs and Switch 6 is my rear fogs (which are also wired to go on with my reverse gear).
<<>>

As for wiring, I used this image as my base.

For IPF wired lights, the black is ground (lead #8), the red is power from the fuse block (Lead #2) and white is for the relay/solenoid (whatever your powering) (Lead #3). Other switches are probably the same.

That leaves leads 6 and 7. Lead #7 is the ground for the dash illumination and Lead #6 is the lead for dash power. Finding a power source for this, I had a couple of choices. I could use one of the orange wires from the HVAC or the stereo dimmer function, but I didn't want to splice into the HVAC and I didn't want to run a longer wire from the stereo harness to the switches. I had a wiring harness by my ARB's that was factory, but never used. I'm suspecting either rear wiper or defrost (neither of which my soft top TJ has - and won't have). I snipped the orange wire coming to this useless harness (to me) and spliced it into a setup that had 4 wires, one for each switch to be wired. I used 18 gauge wire and used insulated spade connectors to wire the #6 lead on all switches.

Now to get these wires into where the ashtray was, I drilled a 3/4" hole in the dash cover directly below the HVAC (with HVAC removed of course) and ran the wires through that hole. No problems. I have another hole for the CB wire because I relocated the CB from under the Tuffy to behind the dash.

I added the CB wiring so I can plug in my 75WxST in to this location. However, there is NO space behind the dash in that area for me. I have XM and iPod interfaces, GPS hardwiring, and vents back there. Add to that the wire from the 75's little box is only about 5" and I was VERY limited in where I could put it and get the cable to the bezel.

Putting pressure on it to tighten the lock ring the bezel will pop in and look stupid, so I'm using some PVC connector (the 1 3/4" long ones that connect 2 PVC pipes) as a channel to run the CB wire behind the bezel. This will do 2 things. It will keep the CB wire straight instead of the angle you see below. AND it will provide a backing to the bezel to give it some rigidity. This will be installed tonight or tomorrow.

I'll add more pics at that point.

The pics above aren't the best and makes the install look messy. Cutting IS messy and I haven't cleaned up all the dust or finished off the edges. I wanted to make sure everything fit and worked before doing final work.

erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Bethlehem
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That's a great idea! Does the second bezel fit right into place or did you have to cut some? It looks like the left bezel is aftermarket or you changed out the switches.

Thanks for sharing!
Outlaw I wheels w/3.75" Backspacing
Bethlehem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
Ejunior2
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Interesting solution. I like it. My rig is a Rubi with a Hard top so the left stock bezel is fill with switches already. On the right is a big blank where an ashtray would go if it had one. Will have to pull the dash and see if it mounts like the bezel show above.
4.0L, Auto, 4" FT LA lift, Bilstein 5100's, Currie HD tie-rods, Napa steering stabalizer, Currie lower cntrl arm skids, FT engine/oil skid, FT exhaust, Kilby sterring skid, SkidRow radiator skid, Mastercraft grab handles, Cobra 75WX cb, Wilson 3' ant, trailguide, Mopar iPod adapter, Coverking seat covers, Warn diff guard
Ejunior2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2009, 06:25 AM   #4
gredden
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This looks like a nice idea for me. So the Orange wire is for rear defrost and as long as I am not planning on using it, I can cut it from the harness and use for power?
gredden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
OahuCrawler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

did the new switches that you got fit into the hole for the OEM switches in your TJ without any problem or did you have to trim any?

2010 AUBURN UNIVERSITY UNDEFEATED BCS NATIONAL CHAMPIONS 14-0
OahuCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #6
Cannonball
1996 CJ5 

I wanted to do this but the rubicon and 2003 and newer TJ bezel is different and I dont think it will work.

1998 to 2002 should be no problem though and its a great looking set up! I like the way you incorporated the CB into it! Sweet and creative!

CB

1996 YJ-5 400 SB Chevy, Proflow EFI, NV4500 Trans with 6.34 low, Dynatrac HP Dana 60 Rear / Dana 44 front and 4:88 gears Featured in Sport & Utility June 1997.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
ToothlessJoe
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Where is your CB mounted? I really like the way you set that up with the cigarette lighter hole.
ToothlessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
bms-3
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I di this mod on my '97 TJ. Both the right hand switch bezel and the large bezel that covers the HVAC and radio need to be modified with a Dremel.
bms-3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.