97+ XJ Interior LED Conversion - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 11-19-2007, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Higgs98XJ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

97+ XJ Interior LED Conversion

I decided to take care of the dim lit interior of my jeep, and after questions on my shopping list i decided to do a short write up.

I got everything from www.autolumination.com. these guys are great, easy returns and fast shipping.

FRONT DOME LIGHT:

The center of the dome is a 44m festoon bulb. I soldered and mounted a 25 LED panel. This thing is BRIGHT. looking back on it i actually would recommend the same thing i used for the back (you will see below).

Here is the solder and mount job. I mounted it with super glue and held lightly with a hand vice.

finshed product

The two side lights of the dome take wedge stop lights. I orginally had planned not to replace these seeing as how i rarely use them, but i had some extra of these high fluxes..

REAR DOME LIGHT

I simply took care of this with a 2 LED 44m festoon..

Great choice, basic swap, and cheaper than the 24 LED panel i got for the front. I recommend this for both domes.

KICKPANEL LIGHTS

Another basic swap, I replaced the size 89 incondesants with these BA15s matrix lights...

the lights go right here.. (this is the passenger's side, above the fuse box. ont he drivers side it is behind the ECU plug in)

Now you have all the cabin light done...

I have more on the gauges but need to make a second post in order to show it.

2006 LJ

Past: '01 WJ Laredo

Past: '98 XJ Sport

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-19-2007, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Higgs98XJ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Tranny/ T-Case lights

The same high flux wedge stops as before

You may have to dremel out the openings the slightest bit to make room. I then put a drop of super glue on the side of the light to make sure it stayed

DASH LIGHTS

For the HVAC controls you will need (2) Type-B Neo Wedge lights.

GAUGES

This seems to be the most popular

All you need is (5) of the same Neo-wedge (twist lock) LEDs but Type-C (bigger size). In order to get to the back of the gauges you will need to take apart the dash. This really isnt a big deal. With an electric screwdriver it comes apart in minutes

1. Pop off bezel around stereo
2. Put steering wheel at its highest tilt
3. Unscrew plastic underneath the steering wheel (at your knees), along with the metal behind it.
3. Put steering wheel back down and unscrew dash. It should pop out. The part that goes around the light control might be a little stubborn but mess around with and you can get through.
4. You should be able to gra hold of the gauge assembly and pull it out. Dont worry, its a plug in guage so you wont be pulling out any wires.
5. On the back of the guage assembly there will be (5) BROWN twist lock lights. Twist these out with some pliers and exchange for the LEDs.

Now the LEDs are polar sensitive unlike bulbs. Before you put your dash together plug the gauges in and turn the lights to make sure they are all working. If not, try turning the non-working lights 180 degrees.

While I had the gauge assembly out, i decided to re-paint the needles to bring back some original color. I used some extra "International Orange" model paint i dug out from years ago.

I put everything back together and here's the finished product

2006 LJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Higgs98XJ; 11-19-2007 at 02:53 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-19-2007, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Higgs98XJ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

The Shopping List

Get everything in Super/Cool white

(1) 24 SMT LED panel (44m festoon) $24.99
(4) 194 Supernova high fluxes W/ Heat sink $7.99 each
(1) Superstar Festoon (44m festoon) $9.99
(2) 15 LED Small Head Matrix Bayonet $9.99 each
(2) Type-B Neo Wedge LEDs $2.99 each
(5) Type-C Neo Wedge LEDs $2.99 each
$107.85 plus shipping

Keep in mind..
You could save some money by using a Superstar Festoon for both the front and back rather than paying 25 bucks for the panel.

You could choose not to replace the two extra lights in the front dome, eliminating two of the high fluxes.

a MUCH cheaper way of doing this is using Xenon bulbs for all of the cabin. Autolumination sells these too, on the same pages as the LEDs.

2006 LJ

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.