ZJs and KKs go up in flames? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJs and KKs go up in flames?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
raspen
1995 ZJ 

ZJs and KKs go up in flames?

Hello all, I just finished reading a report from a local news channel claiming over 50 deaths from rear collisions due to fuel tank rupture in KK Libertys and ZJ Grand Cherokees. Has anyone else been made aware of this possible issue? I am also curious about your modifications to prevent fuel container issues such as skid plates, relocation of tank or replacement of the factory tank by fuel cells for off road applications. I realize that accidents of all kinds happen and it is a rare occurrence, but I would like some input as I am slowly building my off road ZJ and want to put the steel in places where it counts most.

Last edited by raspen; 11-11-2013 at 03:58 PM..
raspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Been addressed many times in the last year.
Long story short, it's overblown fear mongering on a design shared by many other vehicles that are somehow not as dangerous as the ZJ and KJ. Also, the incidence of fatalities due to this VERY low.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Old news. They need to address the bad PCMs which cause stalling on the ZJs. Now THAT's a safety hazard. ( when a Peterbilt is on your tail )

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Considering that there were 1,428,095 made it is extremely low. If you hit any vehicle from the rear with a tractor trailer going 60mph they would probably catch fire. I saw a newer Mitsubishi pickup with the whole front end burned up the other day.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Like they've said, this is an issue affecting <100 out of >1,000,000 vehicles produced over a span of time between 20 and 15 years ago, and in every recorded instance, the collision was far and away beyond what any vehicle is designed for. Fear mongering is the right word here.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspen View Post
Has anyone else been made aware of this possible issue?
id be more surprised if someone hadn't heard about it.
Unread 11-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
raspen
1995 ZJ 

Thank you for the responses. The article brought my attention to the underside of the Jeep. I have been making plans for a roll cage as my boys and I tackle tougher trails and now I am thinking about skid plates to protect the belly and fuel tank. Any thoughts on fabricating or placement of plates?
Unread 11-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
raspen
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
Old news. They need to address the bad PCMs which cause stalling on the ZJs. Now THAT's a safety hazard. ( when a Peterbilt is on your tail )
I had to fix my PCM already, a couple of the resistors were bad and it took a bit of "brain surgery" to fix them. Thanks to this forum and great repair threads, problem solved.
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #9
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspen View Post
Thank you for the responses. The article brought my attention to the underside of the Jeep. I have been making plans for a roll cage as my boys and I tackle tougher trails and now I am thinking about skid plates to protect the belly and fuel tank. Any thoughts on fabricating or placement of plates?
OEM gas tank skid plate and tow hitch. If you really want to feel safe, buy an aftermarket rear bumper and/or OEM Mopar tire carrier.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.