ZJ won't stay running - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ won't stay running

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 08-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

ZJ won't stay running

I was driving my jeep home one night about a month ago. Suddenly, it wouldn't shift and then it wouldn't hardly move. I pulled into my garage at less than 1 mph because i couldnt go any faster. My transmission leaked, but everything is ok with the transmission. My dad ran the jeep after he fixed the transmission leak and filled up on fluid. It ran fine. The next day he tried it, and he couldn't keep it running. We replaced the strainer on the in-tank fuel pump, because the pump looked alright. It won't even start on its own. I have to pump the accelerator to get it to "start" and i have to keep pumping the accelerator to keep it from dying. We checked the fuel pressure and its at 50psi. He also checked to make sure the fuel injectors were clicking and they were. Anyone have any ideas?

White Jeep Club Member #108

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

CAREFREE, WHEREVER WE MAY BE
WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
CUZ WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
kmk108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

I forgot to mention that my battery died after the month of sitting in the garage. i have checked all of the add-ons i have done, and none of them are on to drain the battery.

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 08-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

We used the battery from one of our other vehicles and it ran normal....could a completely empyty battery really not let the engine run even if its being jumped by another vehicle?

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 08-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
tirus89
1993 ZJ 

I would say if you have to hold on the pedal to keep it alive, that means its not getting air (remember, fuel injection, not carb). I would start looking at your Idle Air Control to see if its dirty, and if necessary, replace. If your getting fuel, then all you need is air and spark. I would go with air as my first check.

//93 ZJ//5.2L//NP249//K&N Fipk Gen II//2" BB w/BD AT Shocks//4.10's//31" Cooper Discovery STT's//Cstm Frnt Bmpr//Custom Rear Tube Bmpr//3" Magnaflow exhaust w/high flow cat//500RMS Pioneer Amp//600RMS 12" JL Audio Sub//
tirus89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

yeah, you need to keep the rpms above 1500 on most vehicles to have the alternator produce enough power to run everything and charge the battery too.
the battery could also be completely dead if it ran totally out of charge. unless marked for deep cycle use, draining a battery completely tends to kill it.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

We tried again with the charged battery, and i took it around the block and everything was normal....so i guess problem solved

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 08-02-2009, 11:41 PM   #7
fireemsjeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

A buddy of mine had the same problem. Turned out it was a clog in the fuel line. Which is a classic example of why you should run 89 to 91 fuel. I also have replaced a crankshaft position sensor with a similar issue and it worked again. Is your check engine light on? If not you might wanna buy a new sensor and go from there. Write back if you have more questions.
fireemsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2009, 11:35 PM   #8
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

Well, it's been running for a couple of days with the non-drained battery. So i guess...problem solved

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 08-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #9
Brian's 97 ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireemsjeep View Post
A buddy of mine had the same problem. Turned out it was a clog in the fuel line. Which is a classic example of why you should run 89 to 91 fuel. I also have replaced a crankshaft position sensor with a similar issue and it worked again. Is your check engine light on? If not you might wanna buy a new sensor and go from there. Write back if you have more questions.
Unless specified otherwise, 87 octane fuel is all you need. The octane rating of the fuel is not an indicator of its cleanliness or power, no matter what the signs say at the gas station. It doesn't burn cleaner. It doesn't burn hotter. Octane rating is the fuels measured resistance to detonation and nothing more.

Wikipedia: Octane Rating

Here's to saving you some cash!

- Brian

For some reason, being a member of the CharGold Jeep Club just isn't as cool... Member #1
Brian's 97 ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2009, 09:21 AM   #10
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmk108 View Post
We used the battery from one of our other vehicles and it ran normal....could a completely empyty battery really not let the engine run even if its being jumped by another vehicle?
I am not surprised. Jumping a battery from another vehicle can be tricky. This is because of the contact area of the jumper cable to the battery post or battery terminals. Those alligator clips (for a lack of better words) found at the ends of the jumper cables only touch a tiny area when connected. The battery post and terminal are rounded and the alligator clip is somewhat of a knife edge touching it. This contact area is minimal for that type of current flow! Sometimes you have to wiggle them about to obtain a better connection.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.