ZJ won't start gets spark and fuel HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ won't start gets spark and fuel HELP!

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 03-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
JacoToTheB
1997 ZJ 

ZJ won't start gets spark and fuel HELP!

Hey guys. My dad and I have been stumped for a little while on this. About a week ago my ZJ's throttle got stuck, then wouldn't start for a while. This was diagnosed to what we thought was a fuel pump because it started with ether then ran for about a week with just the turn of the key. This morning as I pulled out of my driveway, the display "check battery" popped up. Not wanting to get stranded somewhere I pulled back up and shut it off to see if it would start again. It did not. I pulled the battery and had it tested. It was bad so I got a new one with a warranty. Put it in, and it still won't start. It primes fuel to the rail with pressure. I pulled every spark plug and grounded them and it's getting spark. There was fuel on each plug. The distributer is newish and working properly. And now it won't start with starting fluid in the intake. Turns over but won't start up.

'97 Inline 6 grand cherokee Laredo.

I definitely need some suggestions and I'll be checking back frequently for answers. I can post pictures/videos of anything that will help.

Thanks guys!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/my-jeep-build-infamous-f150-coils-1767489/
JacoToTheB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

My thoughts are a weak coil but its just a guess .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
JacoToTheB
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
My thoughts are a weak coil but its just a guess .
Possibly. It's getting hot spark off all the plugs. I pulled each, and grounded them while turning it over. A friend of mine suggested idle air control valve. It does have a check engine light on for that but it had been running fine so I didn't really think of that. I'll be replacing it tomorrow just to see. We got it to start with starting fluid but it's idling high and sounds like it's having a hard time getting air (rough idle) IAC valve makes sense.

I'll give updates tomorrow just in case anyone else has the same problem and does a search.
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Open the throttle a little, then try to start it. IAC won't matter then, only used for idle.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

Timing chain?
96zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
JacoToTheB
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ View Post
Open the throttle a little, then try to start it. IAC won't matter then, only used for idle.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that's how I've been starting it. With the throttle open a little. Do you know what will fix this so it will start normally and with a smooth 600 rpm idle? It'll sit at about 1000 now and be rough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96zedjay View Post
Timing chain?
That's what I had read on a few other threads but it drives fine when it will actually start. No misfires or knocks. No valves hitting. Runs like normal other than getting it to start and the high rough idle.

I'm sure the IAC valve will fix the idle. Just need some more input on getting it to start every time. I'm kinda new to jeeps, so if this still sounds like a timing issue please help me understand!
Unread 03-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
JacoToTheB
1997 ZJ 

Alright, whelp. I replaced the Idle Air Control Valve and it starts right up and has a smooth lower idle. It says the idle won't be as low as normal until it's been driven 40mph.

Anyways!

I was just putting this post here for people who do a search for things similar to my problem that is now fixed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.