ZJ Wont start after rain...AGAIN! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Wont start after rain...AGAIN!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

ZJ Wont start after rain...AGAIN!

Well, it rained, and this piece of crap wont start. This morning at the shopping center it took 15-20 turns of the ignition before something decided to work and turn the engine over. Now today, after getting back from the store, I go out to start it up and...dead! Not a light, gauge or ANYTHING! When the key is in the off position im getting a constant, quick clicking from right above the interior fuse panel. I dont know whats tucked up inside the dash right above that fuse panel, but its clicking whenever the ignition is in the off position. When turned to the on position, it stops...accompanied by NO instrumentation lights, gauges or interior lights. What the hell is going on?
I just looked under the hood, nothing is visibly wet. I noticed when I first got this thing, I checked the codes by turning the ignition 5 times. It's throwing code #12. This code has had no ill affect on the Jeep. But something gets wet or faulty when I drive around in wet weather.

Please, any input would be helpful!

Unread 02-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Haven't had it happen to me but I've heard that if your cowl drains clog it can drip down the inside on the passenger side. A lot of the dashboard wiring connectors are behind the passenger kick panel. At least they are on the 93-95. Might be a thing to check.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
Haven't had it happen to me but I've heard that if your cowl drains clog it can drip down the inside on the passenger side. A lot of the dashboard wiring connectors are behind the passenger kick panel. At least they are on the 93-95. Might be a thing to check.
It started to rain last night, it started up fine from work, drove home the whole 1.5 miles and continued to pour alllll night. It started up fine this morning, however the 3-4 mile drive to the shopping center is what did it. Because after I got out of the store is when it acted up. So I dont think it is the cowl drain. If so, i'd think the staying still all night in the driveway would make it act up. But it's after driving it around is when it does this.

Im sooooo effin lost at this point. I just dont get the clicking noise. The only way to get it to stop is turn the key to the on position, or disconnect the negative terminal, which is what I did.
Unread 02-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

bump
Unread 02-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
Alexandru999
1997 ZJ 

if you have random clicking sounds from the interior fuse box area, followed with random electrical glitches, like, rear fog would stay on, dash out, mileage beeping on off, ETC wtv else, could be that water got in , and rusted out your interior fuse box, thats what happened to me, i had a wire for the subs going uunder the hood then beside the door under the passenger side, and water dripped down on that subs ground wire, it was a bit wet too, fuse box rusted out, many terminals, that was my problem ... might wanna inspect it for rust or any damage, idk
Alexandru999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Don't know gen2 ZJs, but the clicking is likely a relay.

When you say totally dead, you mean the starter won't turn?

When it dries out, everything is good?
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #7
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Don't know gen2 ZJs, but the clicking is likely a relay.

When you say totally dead, you mean the starter won't turn?

When it dries out, everything is good?
Like there is zero electrical function. Like the battery isnt even under the hood.
But yeah, last time this happened, I pulled all the relays and fuses in both under hood relay box and the interior fuse box, gave it two days to dry out and it fired up just fine.
Unread 02-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #8
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

ok, if it acts like the battery is disconnected, then it probably is.

The starter is a separate circuit from all else and pretty simple. Good place to start. Sounds like a bad ground. When it is dead, connect a big wire from the battery ground to starter ground, motor, and body in that order and see what happens. Post back...

I need a diagram to look at, but that is later on.
Unread 02-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
ok, if it acts like the battery is disconnected, then it probably is.

The starter is a separate circuit from all else and pretty simple. Good place to start. Sounds like a bad ground. When it is dead, connect a big wire from the battery ground to starter ground, motor, and body in that order and see what happens. Post back...

I need a diagram to look at, but that is later on.
Im at work til midnight. So tomorrow morning I will give it a try.
Unread 02-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #10
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

And why would it JUST act up in the rain...while driving? Standing still all night in the pouring rain was fine.
Unread 02-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #11
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Water getting thrown somewhere.

There is a distribution wire to the PDC from battery. That is something to look at. But I think the starter has it's own power wire, so that's why I think it might be a ground.
Unread 02-27-2014, 04:02 PM   #12
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Water getting thrown somewhere.

There is a distribution wire to the PDC from battery. That is something to look at. But I think the starter has it's own power wire, so that's why I think it might be a ground.
Now what is a PDC?
Unread 02-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #13
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

PDC = power distribution center. The long black box right behind your battery. Holds fuses and relays for alarm, ECM, BCM, headlights, horn, etc. Pop the cover off it and you should see about 25 fuses/relays in there.
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #14
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead31 View Post
PDC = power distribution center. The long black box right behind your battery. Holds fuses and relays for alarm, ECM, BCM, headlights, horn, etc. Pop the cover off it and you should see about 25 fuses/relays in there.
I pulled every single one of those last time this happened. I thought maybe it got wet in there. This time I checked and it is bone dry. THAT relay center along with the mini fuse panel inside the cab were clicking like crazy when the battery is connected. The PDC had stopped, but the interior fuse panel area did not. It clicks repeatedly when the battery is hooked up and the key is in the OFF position. The only way to get it to stop is to disconnect the battery, or turn.the key in the ON position. Even when the key is ON, there is ZERO electrical function anywhere.
Unread 02-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #15
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

Anyone got anyother ideas/input?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.