ZJ V8 stalls when put into gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ V8 stalls when put into gear

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #1
Drew M
1997 XJ Cherokee 

ZJ V8 stalls when put into gear

I have been assuming it was the transmission but I am second-guessing that now. The transmission has been flaky since I got it but I'm not convinced.

Basically it starts and idles fine. As soon as you put it into drive or reverse it stalls. If you hold the RPMS up and put it into gear sometimes it will buck and lurch a little before it stalls.

A night or 2 before it started doing this I pushed it into a parking space with the viscous coupling locked (The VC is bad as well). That night it was making odd noises but drove home with no issues. I didn't drive it the next day. The following day is when it started stalling when put into gear.

The tune-up is good on it and it ran fine up to this point.

It is a 1995 GC V8 all-wheel drive.

Is it most likely the trans or are there some other things I can look at? Prior to this the trans issues (That existed unchanged for about a year) were a little whine and some difficulty getting it to shift from 2nd to 3rd at times (Seemed to want to stay in 2nd - would shift to 3rd smoothly when it would finally go).

Unread 07-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Now I read a similar post. What appears to be happening is that it is trying to start off in a different gear. Like 3rd instead of 1st. I would try and take it in... if possible and get them to look at it. This is the only thing I can think of. Hope this helps. Oh and It would be the computer causing this.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
Breathe
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 View Post
Now I read a similar post. What appears to be happening is that it is trying to start off in a different gear. Like 3rd instead of 1st. I would try and take it in... if possible and get them to look at it. This is the only thing I can think of. Hope this helps. Oh and It would be the computer causing this.
by this logic would he be able to start it by putting the selector to 1st or 2nd instead of drive?
Breathe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Sounds like a locked torque converter actually. Starting in 3rd doesn't do what you're describing. It introduces a LOT more slip and wouldn't buck in d if you wanted it to at low speeds going straight.

Perform a stall test on the converter if you can.
Get the tranny warmed up by taking a short trip or letting the jeep idle in neutral for a while till afterhe engine is hot. Cycle all gears if possible.

Apply parking brake and stomp the regular brakes as hard as possible.
Keeping on the brakes place in drive and stomp the throttle all the way. The maximum rpm reached is your converter stall speed. Any more than +/-200rpm from 2000 and your converter is bad.

If it stalls immediately the lock up solenoid could be stuck open or the converter clutch has welded its self. The vc is likely to have contributed to this if you were often having to give it a lot of gas at low speeds in tight turns heating the tranny and converter with excessive slipping of the converter clutch.

Verify fuel pressure, throttle position sensor function, proper ignig function, and a clean throttle body amd idle control solenoid.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

I second torque converter.

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 12:01 AM   #6
Andyh
2002 WJ 

I had a simlar thing with my WJ, it would lerch forward and stall intermittenly, and the transmission upshift from 2-3rd was a rough as guts...

Turned out the computer in the auto trans just needed a re-program and a general service, works great now...

Hope this helps.

Regards
Andy
Jeep in Australia = $$$$$$$$ for spares
Andyh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 01:58 AM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

The 95 v8 is 95% mechanical/hydraulic operation. The wj v8 is fully electronic and much more susceptible to electronic faults.

Unread 07-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
Drew M
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I feel like it is mostly torque converter locked up but probably some tranny damage as well.

If I put it in neutral it idles fine but there are some odd noises coming from the area of the torque converter. Going into reverse kills it instantly. Putting it in drive after neutral bogs the hell out of it but it will idle. There aren't good sounds coming from it when in drive however.

There is no driving this thing anywhere BTW.

I'm looking for a junkyard trans now. I am trying to get rid of this thing so I'm not putting a lot of money into it - certainly not $800-$1500 for a rebuild/reman.
Unread 07-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
NickkciN
1995 ZJ 

If i haven't driven my ZJ for like over a week the first time i turn it on and go from reverse to drive, i stall. I think nothing of it and until it becomes a huge problem it doesn't really matter (knock on wood). I have no idea what the actual problem is.

1995 ZJ Limited
IRO 5.5" Critical Path Long Arms
Armored and Aussie locked
NickkciN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #10
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
The 95 v8 is 95% mechanical/hydraulic operation. The wj v8 is fully electronic and much more susceptible to electronic faults.
I don't agree with this... 95% is a huge, gross guess. The trans is controlled by a computer which tells it when to shift. It does not have a cvt on it which was described by the mechanical comment above. And Breathe, I couldn't tell you if it would run in 2nd or 1st. It might, there is only one way to find out. Also ratmokney starting in third would do exactly what he is talking about. If you put a manual in third and try to start... good luck. its gonna bog and stall, oh and also buck. I know this because I drive both. Sure some cars you can start off in third, Ive seen it I won't deny it, but most won't. Andyh That is what I would do. If it cannot be driven, then do it yourself. If it doesn't work after that (i will explain how to do it) then call a tow truck and take it in. Now to reset it just simply remove the battery (negative terminal) for approx 5 mins. I would leave it for an hour just to make sure.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #11
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 View Post
I don't agree with this... 95% is a huge, gross guess. The trans is controlled by a computer which tells it when to shift. It does not have a cvt on it which was described by the mechanical comment above. And Breathe, I couldn't tell you if it would run in 2nd or 1st. It might, there is only one way to find out. Also ratmokney starting in third would do exactly what he is talking about. If you put a manual in third and try to start... good luck. its gonna bog and stall, oh and also buck. I know this because I drive both. Sure some cars you can start off in third, Ive seen it I won't deny it, but most won't. Andyh That is what I would do. If it cannot be driven, then do it yourself. If it doesn't work after that (i will explain how to do it) then call a tow truck and take it in. Now to reset it just simply remove the battery (negative terminal) for approx 5 mins. I would leave it for an hour just to make sure.
dude, the 46rh has TWO solenoids on it. overdrive and tcc lock up. it is 100% mechanical from 1-3rd gear.
trying to start in 3rd in a manual is a WHOLE different animal and is not comparable in the least.
a chryco auto in any jeep will slip till you hit converter stall(not lock up like a clutch) in the 2000-2200rpm range and then will VERY SLOWLY start to move forward, generating a ton of heat from the slippage.
the correct analogy would be trying to start a manual in 4th with the tach at 2000-2500 while slipping the clutch till you get moving past the point where full engagement would have you at 2krpm.
if you know nothing of the platform do not speak.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.