ZJ - transmission cooler line, I think - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ - transmission cooler line, I think

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-28-2006, 12:06 AM   #1
jeep_on

ZJ - transmission cooler line, I think

All right people, I need some help tonight.

I think my ZJís transmission cooler line is leaking. Well I donít think, I know it is. Itís a small pin hole in the line and its spraying fluid out at a pretty good rate while running. Not sure when it started doing this. Must have been some where between my buddyís place and mine. I noticed it when I was at a stop light, it turned green and when I stepped on the gas nothing happened until it revíed to about 1,300 and the tranny grabbed first.

I zipped into the nearest gas station and popped the hood and saw what I thought was motor oil at first. When I looked closer I saw it wasnít motor oil, it was transmission fluid. Grabbed a flash night I saw where it was spraying out from and it seems to be the cooler line.

Iím kinda SOL on another vehicle at the moment. The WJs on a road trip in Oregon, and the wifeís YJ has its top end apart. So what are my options at this moment? Can I just JB weld the thing temporarily until the dealer opens on Tuesday? Or will the PSI of the line blow that off? I really donít think a stop leak will fix this. And need to get this fixed now b/c I need my Jeep tomorrow and have no choice.

Ideas are very welcome.
- Ross

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2006, 12:26 AM   #2
fasta76

They are low pressure Lines .. I had mine crack at the fitting so i just cut the line and used a fuel pressure hose clamp to clamp it down on the cooler end.. I herd that the lines are a problem with the little plastic clips. And its alot cheaper.. Hope this helps.
fasta76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2006, 12:29 AM   #3
jeep_on

Thats a good idea. I wonder if I can cut the line and use a small peace of fuel line and clamps to fix it?

Quote:
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
Unread 05-28-2006, 12:36 AM   #4
fasta76

i dont see why not! But you will need some way to splice them together.. Mine has been good now for over 10,000km
Unread 05-28-2006, 12:38 AM   #5
fasta76

But make sure to use High pressure hose clamps cause the normal ones dont stay to well. I think they are hose clamps for fuel injection
Unread 05-28-2006, 12:47 AM   #6
jeep_on

Well ****, I dont have any EFI clamps. Have some normal hose clamps around here.

Not sure if I can even cut the line either. Dont have any way of doing it, and getting to the line it self is a problem. So I think I'm gonna clean it real good and JB-Weld the hell out of it. Let it sit until moring and see what happens.

Quote:
Unread 05-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #7
jeep_on

Well, I got the line fixed / rigged with WB Weld. Hopefully it will hold until next week when I can go to the stealership and get a new line. Added 1 1/2qt of AFT+3 and it seems to drive fine and not slip any more.

I just love how stuff loves to break on a weekend, and not only a weekend but a holiday weekend at that.

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.