ZJ - transmission cooler line, I think - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ - transmission cooler line, I think

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 05-28-2006, 01:06 AM   #1
jeep_on

ZJ - transmission cooler line, I think

All right people, I need some help tonight.

I think my ZJís transmission cooler line is leaking. Well I donít think, I know it is. Itís a small pin hole in the line and its spraying fluid out at a pretty good rate while running. Not sure when it started doing this. Must have been some where between my buddyís place and mine. I noticed it when I was at a stop light, it turned green and when I stepped on the gas nothing happened until it revíed to about 1,300 and the tranny grabbed first.

I zipped into the nearest gas station and popped the hood and saw what I thought was motor oil at first. When I looked closer I saw it wasnít motor oil, it was transmission fluid. Grabbed a flash night I saw where it was spraying out from and it seems to be the cooler line.

Iím kinda SOL on another vehicle at the moment. The WJs on a road trip in Oregon, and the wifeís YJ has its top end apart. So what are my options at this moment? Can I just JB weld the thing temporarily until the dealer opens on Tuesday? Or will the PSI of the line blow that off? I really donít think a stop leak will fix this. And need to get this fixed now b/c I need my Jeep tomorrow and have no choice.

Ideas are very welcome.
- Ross

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2006, 01:26 AM   #2
fasta76

They are low pressure Lines .. I had mine crack at the fitting so i just cut the line and used a fuel pressure hose clamp to clamp it down on the cooler end.. I herd that the lines are a problem with the little plastic clips. And its alot cheaper.. Hope this helps.
fasta76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2006, 01:29 AM   #3
jeep_on

Thats a good idea. I wonder if I can cut the line and use a small peace of fuel line and clamps to fix it?

Quote:
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
Unread 05-28-2006, 01:36 AM   #4
fasta76

i dont see why not! But you will need some way to splice them together.. Mine has been good now for over 10,000km
Unread 05-28-2006, 01:38 AM   #5
fasta76

But make sure to use High pressure hose clamps cause the normal ones dont stay to well. I think they are hose clamps for fuel injection
Unread 05-28-2006, 01:47 AM   #6
jeep_on

Well ****, I dont have any EFI clamps. Have some normal hose clamps around here.

Not sure if I can even cut the line either. Dont have any way of doing it, and getting to the line it self is a problem. So I think I'm gonna clean it real good and JB-Weld the hell out of it. Let it sit until moring and see what happens.

Quote:
Unread 05-28-2006, 01:37 PM   #7
jeep_on

Well, I got the line fixed / rigged with WB Weld. Hopefully it will hold until next week when I can go to the stealership and get a new line. Added 1 1/2qt of AFT+3 and it seems to drive fine and not slip any more.

I just love how stuff loves to break on a weekend, and not only a weekend but a holiday weekend at that.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.