ZJ Transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Transmission

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 02-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
123fisherc
1996 ZJ 

ZJ Transmission

Bought a ZJ for dirt cheap with intention of turning it into an offroader, transmission won't shift outa first gear and slips outa gear when engaged. I knew it when I bought it and I figure I will just have to replace the tranni but curious if there's anything else I should check before I shell out the cash. Prolly being too optimistic but a cheap fix would mean more money for tires, lift, winch and all the goodies

123fisherc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
123fisherc
1996 ZJ 

also is anyone trying to get rid of a zj transmission and will any other tranni work?
123fisherc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 03:21 PM   #3
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Before you change the tranny, you can try the following things to get it to work (easiest to less easy):

- Check the transmission fluid level, park car on level surface, engine idling, tranny warm, in NEUTRAL (not park), only use ATF+4 to top-up.
- Drop the tranny pan, inspect pan bottom for shavings/chunks of metal etc. Anything more than grey powder is no good; replace the tranny filter, change the tranny oil (3-4 gallons required for full change, use ATF+4)
- Replace the governor solenoid and pressure sensor assembly, they're known to go bad and cause crappy shifting.

The best place to get a cheap ZJ tranny is a self-service junkyard, they go for about $150-200. You can also negotiate with them to organise a swap if the one you pull is no good.

No other trannies are an easy fit to a ZJ. AW-4 automatic from XJ and AX-15 manual from old ZJ are bolt-ins to 4.0 engine, but they all give grief with the electric side - permanent check engine light. Don't know about what bolts up to 5.2 engine.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

When you have the pan off I would also re-adjust the bands.

Tags
96 grand cherokee , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.