Zj Transfer Case Problem Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Zj Transfer Case Problem Help!

FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-05-2015, 08:53 AM   #1
CoreyZj
1993 ZJ 

Zj Transfer Case Problem Help!

So i just wanted to start by saying i'm new to this form and the jeep scene so please bare with me and hello all fellow Jeepers! So i have read a lot about transfer case problems and know there is a lot of post on this form and yes i've read a lot of them but still cant seem to fix my problem. I am starting to fear i may just end up needed to buy a new transfer case.

When i first got my jeep it was stuck in 4WD High yes it still runs and drives and doesn't crab walk to bad i would like to fix this before i break something else.

Things i've tried-
Looked over vacuum lines they all looked fine and no leaks that i can see i will do a more detailed look today.
Tried the whole dirt road 10mph Neutral then shift out of 4WD and it didn't help still wouldn't move.
I have tried putting it into other gears it will go into Neutral and 4WD low but sometimes it will grind and doesn't want to stay in gear.
I checked the linkage cable plastic bushing and changed it didn't really help.
It also doesn't seem like my leaver is being stopped by anything causing it not to move into 2WD.
I filled and check all my tires and tire pressure everything is set to same PSI and all tires are same size and width.
I still haven't checked the fluid of even tried to change it yet it is on my list of things to do tho.

I am starting to run out of ideas and things to do before i just go buy another transfer case. So any advice or ideas i would love some help.

93 zj 3' lift on 31s

CoreyZj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
reydelaplaya
1996 ZJ 

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to Jeeps - they can be fussy at times, but they're usually worth it.

Mine would pull this trick from time to time. There's an adjustment screw on the side coming down from the 2WD/4WD lever. Scribe where it currently is, then loosen the screw so that the selector lever moves freely. Pull the selector lever to 4-LO and tighten the screw. Now try putting it in 2WD.

If it works like mine did, you'll just need to then find the adjustment sweet spot where the lever and the 2WD/N/4Hi-Lo finally match up by repeatedly loosening the screw and moving it around.

If this doesn't work, let us know.
reydelaplaya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2015, 09:49 AM   #3
CoreyZj
1993 ZJ 

Ok thanks for the quick response i am going to go try it now i will keep you updated was also thinking about trying to blow out the lines one might have some crud in it if this doesn't work.
Unread 04-05-2015, 10:06 AM   #4
Taz360ZJ

what transfer case do you have?
Taz360ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
CoreyZj
1993 ZJ 

so i loosen the screw and it still wont move freely 4d40 was used on it even tried to genitally hit it with a hammer it still wont move
Unread 04-05-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
CoreyZj
1993 ZJ 

249 J transfer case
Unread 04-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #7
reydelaplaya
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyZj View Post
so i loosen the screw and it still wont move freely 4d40 was used on it even tried to genitally hit it with a hammer it still wont move
It's an exposed part on the bottom, sometimes they seize up a bit with road crud n stuff. Soak it with some wd40 and let it sit for a few.

BTW, does your linkage look like my pic, or it it different?
Unread 04-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
CoreyZj
1993 ZJ 

it looks the same and the bolt is currently out and i sprayed everything with wd40
Unread 04-05-2015, 10:35 AM   #9
reydelaplaya
1996 ZJ 

You mentioned blowing out the lines.

If yours is like the pic I posted, the selection is all mechanical/manual.
Unread 04-05-2015, 10:36 AM   #10
CoreyZj
1993 ZJ 

the bolt i circled is the one i removed and im soaking the bar that goes thru it
Unread 04-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #11
CoreyZj
1993 ZJ 

here
00d60b63-7210-4b7e-af28-61f2db5a7120_zpsvc7nyv8q.jpg  
Unread 04-05-2015, 10:38 AM   #12
CoreyZj
1993 ZJ 

ahh mechanical ay no wonder i couldn't find vacuum lines
Unread 04-05-2015, 10:42 AM   #13
reydelaplaya
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
it looks the same and the bolt is currently out and i sprayed everything with wd40
Before we go any further, do you see any evidence that the sliding screw adjust might have been welded to the shaft by a previous owner. (Don't know why they'd do such a thing, but figured I'd ask)

Can you take a pic and post it?

Post IMG here in forum:
EDIT: NVM, I see you know how to post a pic.
Unread 04-05-2015, 10:50 AM   #14
reydelaplaya
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
There might be the problem. Few things like getting sprayed with wd40 and hit in the genitals with a hammer.

Sorry, couldn't restist. LOL

Just let the wd40 sink in for a while, and just keep rewetting it. It'll loosen up if it's not welded. Try freeing it with the selector lever.
Unread 04-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #15
CoreyZj
1993 ZJ 

haha stupid auto correct didnt notice that but i got the bolt out that wasnt a problem the problem is the bar that the bolt was on wont move for adjustment here is a few pics.
3.jpg   2.jpg   1.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.