zj trailer wiring issue help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > zj trailer wiring issue help

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
tbirdsc
1996 ZJ 

zj trailer wiring issue help

I have a 96 zj that didn't come with a factory hitch or harness. I added the hitch and a 4 wire plug. No problems until today when i used a 7 prong adapter to haul a trailer. Everything worked for about 20 seconds and the trailer lights went dead and the left tail light on my jeep went out. Thought it was the bulb but its like it reset itself and the tail light worked again. Tried this 3 times, and each time trailer lights would work for 20 seconds and then go out. Any ideas would be much appreciated...

tbirdsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
tbirdsc
1996 ZJ 

btw found a pic of the harness i am using......did not hook up any other wire besides the white ground which i had temporarily stuck into the ground when connecting the 4 wire plugs together....would i have better luck with hooking the power and ground up?...i dont have a brake controller http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/30717.html
Unread 08-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Well, if it all works ok until you hook the trailer up, I would be looking at the wiring on the trailer. I dont know whats going on with the LH tail lamp though, are you sure it was only the LH tail lamp, since the LH and RH tail lamps are wired together?
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

I'd agree, sounds like something going on with the trailer wiring, a short or ground somewhere?
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
tbirdsc
1996 ZJ 

No problem with the trailer. Decided to order the wiring kit from etrailer. Just installed yesterday and works great. Worth the price for such little effort. Thanks for the replies.
Unread 08-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
Katesdad

Thats what I did painless!
Katesdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help please , lights , towing , trailer wiring

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.