ZJ Trailer Wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Trailer Wiring

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

ZJ Trailer Wiring

I am Picking up a hitch tomorrow, but i need help wiring it, my question is where are the wires at the back? as far as i can tell there are the proper wires under the dash for a brake controller. but how do i connect the 7 pin plug at the back? btw its only for very occasional towing, i ve got an f350 v10, and a cummins 2500 for the tow rigs, but still want this one to be ready. Thanks

ZJ5point2GCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

For a 1993 (to 1995), the wires to the back terminate in a plug inside the passenger side quarterpanel. You'll have to remove the interior panel and plug the optional tow harness into the vehicle harness just above the wheel well.

For a 96 and up, the optional tow harness plugs into the vehicle harness on the driver's side.
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Ok thanks, so it's a harness that I should probably get from the dealer/ wrecker? Or could I just tap into it and make my own harness / connector?
Unread 12-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

I like making things, but in this case, pop into a dealer, a parts store, or the wreckers. The clips and relays attached to the harness would make it a hassle to replicate. I picked up mine from the wrecker, and it came with the plug for where it goes through the body. You'll also get to see where it's supposed to run. Spend your time on something more interesting!!

On the other hand, while you're in there, I tapped into the constant 12V line in the harness to put in a 12V power outlet in the cargo area. It runs through a 20A fuse, so it's nice for running an inverter or a cooler or something. Watch out though, as it's always powered, so it will kill the battery if you're running something with the engine off!
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

ok thanks, thats a good idea, but i actually already put a 1500 watt inverter, using my wire going to the former amp (never replaced it when i sunk the jeep)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.