ZJ trailer wiring - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-11-2003, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
foundryrat

ZJ trailer wiring

Anyone have an easy explanation for a Dunderhead as to how you wire up a 97 Grand Cherokee for trailer wiring if, it isn't pre-wired for the trailer package and being an owner too cheap to buy a kit that will take care of the problem. I believe one has to cut or splice one wire or something......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-11-2003, 09:03 PM
Swamp Boy

1993 ZJ 

UHaul makes plug in kits for almost every vehicle.. Go to a local uhaul dealer and see if they have one..
Even a dunder head can plug things in.. HAHAAHA
Also I believe its White = ground
Brown = markerlights
Yellow= Left turn and stop
Green= R turn and stop

That should do you.. All you need is a test light or volt meter to find the turn and marker lights on your rig.. Easy enough..

PS use those squeeze on clamps that join one wire to the other without cutting .. They work great..
Good luck..

Just another soccer moms Grocery getter....
http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/fil.../5/hatt034.jpg
post #3 of 9 Old 05-12-2003, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
foundryrat

Hers what I'm getting at

The ZJ already has a wiring harness(pigtail) hooked up to it....but it is a pigtail made for ZJ's that were pre-wired for the trailer package... so when he has a trailer hooked up and hits the brake pedal all sorts of weird things happen...... It was bought that way....
There is a way by splicing and, or, running a wire to make this harness work. I used to have it printed out but when I actually needed it, its gone. He doesn't want to spend $60 for the correct pigtail if he can simply cut,splice and run another wire...
Thanks
post #4 of 9 Old 05-12-2003, 09:36 AM
Swamp Boy

1993 ZJ 

Oh I get it now.. Why dont you just cut off the factory harness.. and wire on a flat 4 pin.. make sure you cut the wires off flush and use crimp on wire caps... Those damn 7 pin plugs are a pain in the ***..
IF somone knows how to fix them .. Help the man out...

Just another soccer moms Grocery getter....
http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/fil.../5/hatt034.jpg
post #5 of 9 Old 05-12-2003, 06:03 PM
JEEPTECHNICIAN

there is a pigtail behind the spare tire behind the plastic. I think it is green. go get one from jeep if you want it done right. You dont want to splice and cut if you dont have to. I've seen these aftermarket hook ups cause all kinds of problems...
post #6 of 9 Old 06-18-2016, 08:52 AM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

Resurrecting an old thread:

I've been trying to find the right answer, and thought I had, so I ordered a trailer wiring harness (Curt brand). It is apparently not the right one, well, not the one I wanted. My 97 ZJ has the tow prep group. I'm pretty sure the plug shown in the attached pic is the one you're supposed to connect to. The harness I bought online has small square plugs, as if it connects inline with the tail lights. Does anyone know a part number for a trailer harness which connects to the plug shown in the pic? (and I mean KNOW, not suspect) If not a part number, a correct and detailed description. I thought about ordering a Mopar part, but couldn't decipher from their descriptions which one was the correct one. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
plug behind spare tire.jpg  
post #7 of 9 Old 06-19-2016, 03:27 PM
vlackattack
1997 ZJ 

It's generally better to start your own thread rather than resurrecting a 13 year dead thread that's only vaguely related to your question. But I think you may have the record for oldest thread revival, so there's that.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-19-2016, 06:40 PM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

If you have trailer tow its 82202423. Without it is 82203616, which is per the mopar accessories catalog for that year. So your "breaking the law" post paid off.

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...-faqs-2863665/

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
post #9 of 9 Old 06-20-2016, 11:17 PM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

Thanks a ton, coralman.

Breakin' the law! Breakin' the law!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.