ZJ trailer wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ trailer wiring

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-11-2003, 08:30 PM   #1
foundryrat

ZJ trailer wiring

Anyone have an easy explanation for a Dunderhead as to how you wire up a 97 Grand Cherokee for trailer wiring if, it isn't pre-wired for the trailer package and being an owner too cheap to buy a kit that will take care of the problem. I believe one has to cut or splice one wire or something......

foundryrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2003, 09:03 PM   #2
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

UHaul makes plug in kits for almost every vehicle.. Go to a local uhaul dealer and see if they have one..
Even a dunder head can plug things in.. HAHAAHA
Also I believe its White = ground
Brown = markerlights
Yellow= Left turn and stop
Green= R turn and stop

That should do you.. All you need is a test light or volt meter to find the turn and marker lights on your rig.. Easy enough..

PS use those squeeze on clamps that join one wire to the other without cutting .. They work great..
Good luck..
Unread 05-12-2003, 06:29 AM   #3
foundryrat

Hers what I'm getting at

The ZJ already has a wiring harness(pigtail) hooked up to it....but it is a pigtail made for ZJ's that were pre-wired for the trailer package... so when he has a trailer hooked up and hits the brake pedal all sorts of weird things happen...... It was bought that way....
There is a way by splicing and, or, running a wire to make this harness work. I used to have it printed out but when I actually needed it, its gone. He doesn't want to spend $60 for the correct pigtail if he can simply cut,splice and run another wire...
Thanks
foundryrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2003, 09:36 AM   #4
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

Oh I get it now.. Why dont you just cut off the factory harness.. and wire on a flat 4 pin.. make sure you cut the wires off flush and use crimp on wire caps... Those damn 7 pin plugs are a pain in the ***..
IF somone knows how to fix them .. Help the man out...
Unread 05-12-2003, 06:03 PM   #5
JEEPTECHNICIAN

there is a pigtail behind the spare tire behind the plastic. I think it is green. go get one from jeep if you want it done right. You dont want to splice and cut if you dont have to. I've seen these aftermarket hook ups cause all kinds of problems...
JEEPTECHNICIAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.