zj total stereo replace - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > zj total stereo replace

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
willard9
2009 JK Wrangler 

zj total stereo replace

So im looking to replace my zj's infinity gold stereo for something a bit better. I have bought a sony deck and amp and two pairs of pioneer speakers. my question is can i reuse the factory speaker wire from the amp to the speakers or will I have to run my own? and what about the wires from the deck to the amp?

Sorry I know theres lots of threads like this but none seamed to answer my questions, the only created more

Unread 02-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Most people just run new wire, the factory stuff is kinda thin. You can use the factory wire if you put the new amp where the original one was. Might take a while to get the wiring figured out from the head to the amp though.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
AcidAnton
Czech OffRoader

2005 WK 

I agree with kg6mov, new set of wires is in need of replacement. I just installed a new Sony deck with 4 new door speakers, and for some reason it will not work. I replaced all the speakers when I had the old deck in and there was sound, but now with the new deck there is no sound...
I'll be purchasing new wires, amplifier and a sub this following week and I will redo everything , and do it properly

Upcoming Projects: Digital Camo Paint Job mod , 4" Superlift, 33" Tires, ARB Bumber, Tire Mount on Hitch

Silver WK Club Member #88
HEMI Club Member #80

R.I.P
1998 ZJ 5.9L Limited - Platinum
1997 ZJ 5.2L V8 - Mud Flooded the Engine - Donor Jeep now

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
I named mine Jezebel because she used to be the most powerful thing in the world, but now shes just an old, dirty ***** whose been around the block a few times.
AcidAnton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
wsigo
1996 ZJ 

Double post.

Last edited by wsigo; 02-25-2013 at 07:55 PM..
wsigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
wsigo
1996 ZJ 

I used stock wiring. New speakers, sub, and both amps are under rear seats. Wiring was easy as pie once I found a schematic. I used a line out converter for the 4 channel amp since my deck only has one line out.

What year is your ZJ, OP?
wsigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

You may be having problems feeding through the infinity amp if you have it, the bypass wiring is a pain and the harness is not easy to work with. It's easiest to just do the bypass wiring on the infinity amp.

I actually run polk audio speakers with the factory infinity amp and an alpine iDA-X100 non cd head. Added a boss 900 powered sub under the back seat. It sounds good for a car and is simple, I run professional live sound and do some recording at home so I don't bother trying to get my car system to sound like my studio monitors (cause it won't) or kick like my JBL 18 subs (cause it won't).

There are basically three options for the ZJ to upgrade the infinity sound system:

Use the infinity amp with a better head unit. Some say that the infinity amp has some weird eq on it for the stock speakers and doesn't sound as clear. I haven't dragged out my test gear to verify either way, but I'm not sure I believe it.

Do an amp bypass. Basically wire the input from head unit connector on the amp to the amp output and pull the power. A lot of people seem to go this route to keep the stock wiring, and there is plenty of power and space where the stock amp is.

Rip it all out and run from scratch. Go crazy, have fun.

When I do the sound system on my niner I'm gonna take some measurements and try to get some real data on what the stock head and amp do to the signal. We did some similar tests on our cooper and were amazed at what we found.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 02-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
greyhnd
1996 ZJ 

I replaced my entire Infinity Gold system last year. Swapping out the head unit was relatively painless and only took about an hour. I disconnected the rear door speakers and only replaced the fronts. That wasn't all that bad, but I will tell you one thing, if you run new speaker wire there's a molex connector in the door that needs to be dealt with. There's a thread here that I started and another member posted pics and detailed instructions for getting through the molex and fishing the wire into the passenger cabin. I tried to search for it, but didn't find the thread.

Another thing I did was instead of drilling or fishing my amp power cable through the dash I went under the Jeep. I covered the cable with split loom and snaked it down the firewall. Once I got that far I ran the cable through 1/4 or 1/2" pvc pipe until I got under the back passenger seat. Drilled a small hole in the floor, used a grommet and sealed it up. No problems with heat, water or other road hazards and still solid as the day I installed it. Most here prefer to go through the firewall, but I went underneath because I only have one leg and it was much easier. If you do any off-roading that might not work for you, but my Jeep is strictly a daily driver.

Good luck.
greyhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 04:23 AM   #8
willard9
2009 JK Wrangler 

Ok thanks a lot for all the help! I think I'm just gunna pull the factory stereo out and rerun everything myself.
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
willard9
2009 JK Wrangler 

One more question, if I do want to replace everything can I just unplug the factory amp and remove it or will I have to bypass anything?
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Unlike modern cars the stereo is its own system, totally independent of everything else.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
caseyliffick
1995 ZJ 

If you're going to keep the jeep for a long time, do it right, do it once. Run new speaker wire from a 4 channel amp from the back to each door. Drill a hole in each door, use a grommet and some sealer. Bypass the factory wiring entirely by running a set of rcas to your head unit for your speakers and a separate set of rcas to the back for a small sub.

I'll be doing this when I buy a Niner. Until then, I'm going with just a simple head unit upgrade and speaker upgrade. I'll eventually have a write up for it as well, but that's miles down the road. I did it with my integra and everything worked great.
caseyliffick is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.