Thanks for the great info on troubleshooting this problem (I too had a rear window that refused to open), but on further inspection I found a somewhat different problem.
The switch tested faulty but I looked at switch and noticed that the switch could not fully return to the upright position when released.
Here is the problem - the lever arm for the switch is connected to the main body of the switch through a rivet (the lever arm pivots through this rivet), BUT the one side of the rivet is closely approximated to the metal attachment bracket.
This bracket had some corrosion and placed pressure on the rivet and prevented the switch from returning from the fully upright position.
Removing the metal from the bracket (using a dremel) that was overtop of the rivet fixed the problem for good!
Thanks again for the info - hopes this helps someone else with their rear window problem.
Cherry Electronics Part E72-40AT is an all in one modern replacement. All you need to do is change the lever to match the old one. Haven't done it yet but I'm going to clip it and bend it the best I can to mimic the original. Also need to get small screws and locking bolts in lieu of rivets that don't come with the part to attach it to the metal bracket.
I plugged it in and it worked like a charm. Now all I need to do is replace the old struts!
So I'm not where I found the picture if the switch with dimensions, but went to Radio Shack today with the dimensions and a dial caliper, they stock the micro switches...they have 2 styles, both same price, one has a roller switch, one is just a lever switch, but since top arm needs to be removed, it don't much matter. Anyways... Radio Shack part number is 275-0017, and was only $4
I know this is an old thread, but wanted to say that this fixed my issue. I used the radio shack part number 275-0017 mentioned a few posts up which was under $4 still at my local RS. While you have everything apart, I suggest spraying some good lube on the moving parts. I used white lithium grease (spray can) which made everything move smoother.
One additional issue I had was on the blue/white plug connector at the opposite end of the microswitch. It had a loose connection which I couldn't get fixed 100%. I ended up cutting out that plug and connecting the wires directly using butt connectors.