Zj Sunroof Wont Open - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Zj Sunroof Wont Open

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology

Unread 10-23-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
rednecktrucker

Zj Sunroof Wont Open

my sunroof on my 96 jeep grand cherokee wont open. i checked the switch and it has power and is working and i can hear the relay in the back of the glass working. it worked when i got the jeep a month ago but now has quit any ideas???

rednecktrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 11:37 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Rails could be bent, this is the problem with mine. It is about $1100 to fix at the dealer.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
befumo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Probably the control module. If you want it close before winter just take down the headliner use a battery and close it. Same problem here, damn thing is a pain in the ***.
befumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
booked101
1997 ZJ 

my sunroof stopped moving Saturday. I pulled the headliner to find out if I could see what was going on, but no. After messing with the switch a bit and punching the crap out of the sunroof assembly in front of the motor I got the glass to tilt up. Now when I lower the sunroof from the tilted position the passenger side back corner of the glass drops lower than the driver side. When I try to open the sunroof it moves back about a half inch then appears to bind and not move anymore. Any ideas?
Unread 04-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by booked101 View Post
my sunroof stopped moving Saturday. I pulled the headliner to find out if I could see what was going on, but no. After messing with the switch a bit and punching the crap out of the sunroof assembly in front of the motor I got the glass to tilt up. Now when I lower the sunroof from the tilted position the passenger side back corner of the glass drops lower than the driver side. When I try to open the sunroof it moves back about a half inch then appears to bind and not move anymore. Any ideas?
Check for broken plastic on the sides.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

If you have an afternoon to spare, you can lower the entire sunroof assembly onto the headrests of your seats. You have to remove the center overhead console and the four corner drain hoses.

I just left the overhead console hanging by the wires so that I could use the switch and plugged the sunroof back in to the power cable.

From there, you can actually watch what is happening. You could have crud in the tracks, broken plastic parts, or the gear on one side could have slid and knocked the sliding glass out of alignment. I am sure there are other possibilities, but my point is that from the top, you can see what is happening better.

Edit: this job is not difficult, but having a second person to help lower the assembly makes it much easier.
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i had .45 brass blocking my sunroof rails one time. that was interesting.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey
i had .45 brass blocking my sunroof rails one time. that was interesting.
Did it belong to you? Or a gift from the PO?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum
Unread 04-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
booked101
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingr98 View Post
If you have an afternoon to spare, you can lower the entire sunroof assembly onto the headrests of your seats. You have to remove the center overhead console and the four corner drain hoses.

I just left the overhead console hanging by the wires so that I could use the switch and plugged the sunroof back in to the power cable.

From there, you can actually watch what is happening. You could have crud in the tracks, broken plastic parts, or the gear on one side could have slid and knocked the sliding glass out of alignment. I am sure there are other possibilities, but my point is that from the top, you can see what is happening better.

Edit: this job is not difficult, but having a second person to help lower the assembly makes it much easier.
Do you have any pictures of this?
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
Did it belong to you? Or a gift from the PO?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum
oh, it was totally mine.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #11
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

I did not take pictures when I did it, I wish I had.

I believe these are the steps after your headliner are removed:
1. Remove overhead console and the bracket behind it.
2. Disconnect the center light.
3. Disconnect sunroof motor.
4. Disconnect all four drain tubes.
5. Remove two side support nuts.
6. Back front two nuts all the way to the end of the threads so that they will still support the front of the sunroof assembly, but allow it room to move.
7. Remove the four rear support nuts while someone is holding up the rear of the assembly.
8. Remove front two nuts and lower assembly.
9. Reconnect overhead console and sunroof motor.

I actually did this by myself, but it was very awkward. I also removed my two rear headrests to have a more stable platform to rest it on.

Once down, I found multiple problems. My gasket had gotten too stiff and would not allow the sunroof to move back freely. The bracket that holds the gears to the motor had come loose so the they didn't always engage. My control module needed resoldering. There was a piece of broken plastic in the track(I still haven't figured out where it broke off of).

Fixed all that and now works great. The only thing not working is the position sensor the makes the motor stop when the sunroof is in the fully closed position. It forces my to look up and find it manually.
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.