JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Zj Sunroof Wont Open (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/zj-sunroof-wont-open-885535/)

rednecktrucker 10-23-2009 11:35 PM

Zj Sunroof Wont Open

my sunroof on my 96 jeep grand cherokee wont open. i checked the switch and it has power and is working and i can hear the relay in the back of the glass working. it worked when i got the jeep a month ago but now has quit any ideas???

WhiteOut 10-23-2009 11:37 PM

Rails could be bent, this is the problem with mine. It is about $1100 to fix at the dealer.

befumo 10-24-2009 01:35 AM

Probably the control module. If you want it close before winter just take down the headliner use a battery and close it. Same problem here, damn thing is a pain in the ***.

booked101 04-01-2013 11:44 AM

my sunroof stopped moving Saturday. I pulled the headliner to find out if I could see what was going on, but no. After messing with the switch a bit and punching the crap out of the sunroof assembly in front of the motor I got the glass to tilt up. Now when I lower the sunroof from the tilted position the passenger side back corner of the glass drops lower than the driver side. When I try to open the sunroof it moves back about a half inch then appears to bind and not move anymore. Any ideas?

HighLonesome 04-01-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booked101 (Post 15228662)
my sunroof stopped moving Saturday. I pulled the headliner to find out if I could see what was going on, but no. After messing with the switch a bit and punching the crap out of the sunroof assembly in front of the motor I got the glass to tilt up. Now when I lower the sunroof from the tilted position the passenger side back corner of the glass drops lower than the driver side. When I try to open the sunroof it moves back about a half inch then appears to bind and not move anymore. Any ideas?

Check for broken plastic on the sides.

Kingr98 04-01-2013 01:50 PM

If you have an afternoon to spare, you can lower the entire sunroof assembly onto the headrests of your seats. You have to remove the center overhead console and the four corner drain hoses.

I just left the overhead console hanging by the wires so that I could use the switch and plugged the sunroof back in to the power cable.

From there, you can actually watch what is happening. You could have crud in the tracks, broken plastic parts, or the gear on one side could have slid and knocked the sliding glass out of alignment. I am sure there are other possibilities, but my point is that from the top, you can see what is happening better.

Edit: this job is not difficult, but having a second person to help lower the assembly makes it much easier.

ratmonkey 04-01-2013 01:59 PM

i had .45 brass blocking my sunroof rails one time. that was interesting.

McCloudsZJ 04-01-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratmonkey
i had .45 brass blocking my sunroof rails one time. that was interesting.

Did it belong to you? Or a gift from the PO?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum

booked101 04-01-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingr98 (Post 15229371)
If you have an afternoon to spare, you can lower the entire sunroof assembly onto the headrests of your seats. You have to remove the center overhead console and the four corner drain hoses.

I just left the overhead console hanging by the wires so that I could use the switch and plugged the sunroof back in to the power cable.

From there, you can actually watch what is happening. You could have crud in the tracks, broken plastic parts, or the gear on one side could have slid and knocked the sliding glass out of alignment. I am sure there are other possibilities, but my point is that from the top, you can see what is happening better.

Edit: this job is not difficult, but having a second person to help lower the assembly makes it much easier.

Do you have any pictures of this?

ratmonkey 04-01-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ (Post 15229537)
Did it belong to you? Or a gift from the PO?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum

oh, it was totally mine.

Kingr98 04-02-2013 05:12 AM

I did not take pictures when I did it, I wish I had.

I believe these are the steps after your headliner are removed:
1. Remove overhead console and the bracket behind it.
2. Disconnect the center light.
3. Disconnect sunroof motor.
4. Disconnect all four drain tubes.
5. Remove two side support nuts.
6. Back front two nuts all the way to the end of the threads so that they will still support the front of the sunroof assembly, but allow it room to move.
7. Remove the four rear support nuts while someone is holding up the rear of the assembly.
8. Remove front two nuts and lower assembly.
9. Reconnect overhead console and sunroof motor.

I actually did this by myself, but it was very awkward. I also removed my two rear headrests to have a more stable platform to rest it on.

Once down, I found multiple problems. My gasket had gotten too stiff and would not allow the sunroof to move back freely. The bracket that holds the gears to the motor had come loose so the they didn't always engage. My control module needed resoldering. There was a piece of broken plastic in the track(I still haven't figured out where it broke off of).

Fixed all that and now works great. The only thing not working is the position sensor the makes the motor stop when the sunroof is in the fully closed position. It forces my to look up and find it manually.

The time now is 10:22 PM.