ZJ Sunroof Stuck Open - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Sunroof Stuck Open

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-19-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
Orvis97
2005 TJ Wrangler 

ZJ Sunroof Stuck Open

This afternoon I opened the sunroof, then closed it, then opened it into the vent mode, it is now stuck open in the vent mode. When I try and close it I can hear a click at the motor when the switch is pushed, however the sunroof will not close.

Through a search I found a couple of ideas, but none of these seem to make it any better. I have already tried cleaning the switch and tapping on the headliner as well as the roof at, or close to, the motor, both to no avail.

So I guess what I am getting at is, can you close the sunroof manually? and does it sound like the motor is bad, or do y'all have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

Orvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orvis97 View Post
This afternoon I opened the sunroof, then closed it, then opened it into the vent mode, it is now stuck open in the vent mode. When I try and close it I can hear a click at the motor when the switch is pushed, however the sunroof will not close.

Through a search I found a couple of ideas, but none of these seem to make it any better. I have already tried cleaning the switch and tapping on the headliner as well as the roof at, or close to, the motor, both to no avail.

So I guess what I am getting at is, can you close the sunroof manually? and does it sound like the motor is bad, or do y'all have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance
I remember seeing a thread years ago that pointed out how you can cross the wires and make it close...kind of like a jumper. Sounds like motor or gears to me.
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2009, 05:06 AM   #3
Orvis97
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I tried this too, and once again, just a click at the motor, nothing else.

Thanks though
2010 JK Unlimited - stock - Wife's Ride! - SOLD
1997 Grand Cherokee Orvis V8 ------ 2.25" BB - SOLD!
Unread 04-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
alivenkickin28
1995 ZJ 

sounds like the motor may have gone...or may have over heated...let it sit a day or so and try it again sometimes it may work one last time --
alivenkickin28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
-cAcHe-
1996 ZJ 

i had started a thread on this but cant find it...if you hear a click..most likely it will be this part..it is to the left of the motor...in a black box..ill look for my thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWK View Post
I like happy endings :2thumbsup:
RIP Troy Edwards (bigbluezj94)
-cAcHe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
-cAcHe-
1996 ZJ 

Found it here it is...this did fix my problem...the reason it would only go up and down was because i had a bunch of leaves in my sunroof rails...cleaned that out and works great ever since.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/ok-took-off-my-headliner-what-538222/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWK View Post
I like happy endings :2thumbsup:
RIP Troy Edwards (bigbluezj94)
-cAcHe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cAcHe96 View Post
Found it here it is...this did fix my problem...the reason it would only go up and down was because i had a bunch of leaves in my sunroof rails...cleaned that out and works great ever since.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538222
I knew there was a thread. Thanks for finding yours and re posting.
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
Orvis97
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well I just bit the bullet and took the headliner out this morning and determined exactly what cAcHe96 said it was, that module, or whatever it actually is seems to be the problem. I bypassed all the switched and hooked the motor directly to a battery and was able to close the sunroof, now all I have to do is replace the headliner, that module and then put it all back together, I guess Ill be driving without a headliner for a while.

Thanks everybody for all your help!!!!!
2010 JK Unlimited - stock - Wife's Ride! - SOLD
1997 Grand Cherokee Orvis V8 ------ 2.25" BB - SOLD!
Unread 06-19-2009, 02:12 AM   #9
ebirr
1996 ZJ 

Hows it going guys, my zj has the same problem right down to the clicking with nothing happening. My question is, is there a manual way of closing the sun roof as it is stuck in the tilted up position. Thanks for your time.
ebirr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 05:53 AM   #10
YJMCBoy
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebirr View Post
Hows it going guys, my zj has the same problem right down to the clicking with nothing happening. My question is, is there a manual way of closing the sun roof as it is stuck in the tilted up position. Thanks for your time.
did you read the post before yours?

"I bypassed all the switched and hooked the motor directly to a battery and was able to close the sunroof."

That is the manual way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.