ZJ steering problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ steering problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
stevsand77
1994 ZJ 

ZJ steering problems

So my jeep has been giving me some problems lately. the steering has been creaking when i turn the wheel both left and right. Its also been wobbling a little bit when Im driving. It starts anywhere between 40 and 45 mph then seems to be less noticeable after 50 mph. its a really light wobble, nothing as bad as the death wobble but its really annoying. I put the jeep on jack stands and checked for any play in the tie rod ends and joints but found nothing. I noticed the dust boots are all cracked though. as for the creaking I thought it was the steering stabilizer because I know it needs to be replaced but I disconnected it and the creaking was still there. I also made sure everything is greased up but that still didn't help. Can anyone help me solve this? Thanks!

stevsand77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
oldsixinarow
1998 ZJ 

Check your steering knuckle u-joints. Pull the hub bearing off and yank an axle shaft. Betcha find that its all bound up.
Unread 09-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
ajmorell

You don't need to pull the hub off to check axle u-joints. Just reach under there and try to rotate them. If there's any play they're shot.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering , wobble , zj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.