ZJ Starts then Dies - grounded alarm wire - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Starts then Dies - grounded alarm wire

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #16
orchimaxi
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Had already switched the relays (both fuel and ASD) with the A/C relay, I'll head out and check them (with jumpers and a multimeter) in a few minutes...

Just used the fuel pressure gauge, everything looks fine as far as that's concerned...with the gauge propped to see it from inside the vehicle it sat right at 40 through the entire process - switch to Run, crank, idle, stall.

What else do we have for ideas?

56th SBCT
1999 XJ SE 5 spd 4.0 -- Dead
2001 TJ Sahara 5 spd 4.0 -- born!
1995 ZJ 5.2L - purchased for $400 but needs some TLC before it gets inspected...

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i2.../Jeep%20stuff/
orchimaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #17
orchimaxi
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thoughts on this? I had to replace the CPS previously, but that was a crank-no-start situation...

From the FSM:
The PCM monitors the crankshaft position sensor.
If the PCM does not receive a crankshaft position
sensor signal within 3 seconds of cranking the engine,
it will shut down the fuel injection system.
56th SBCT
1995 ZJ 5.2L - purchased for $400 but needs some TLC before it gets inspected...

Unread 07-20-2011, 07:50 AM   #18
orchimaxi
2001 TJ Wrangler 

1st start: Key in Run position, turn to Start
2nd start: Key in Off position, turn straight to Start

You can hear it goes to idle, then dies...fuel pressure looks fine.
56th SBCT

Unread 07-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #19
rlcii77
1998 ZJ 

I have the same issue, occasionally. I've noticed my "Security" light on the dash will come on & stay on for a while while driving. I'm thinking I'll have to go through all the security switches & the wiring to find the problem.

When my ZJ does the run for a couple seconds then shut off thing, I'll set the alarm, wait for it to become armed, then trip the alarm so the horns, etc. go off. Then, I'll disarm the alarm with my keyless & the ZJ usually fires right up & stays running.

I've also tried to ground the purple/yellow wire with no luck. I've read that you can remove the alarm module behind the glove box all together , but you have to remove it while the engine is running..??.. This is information I've gathered from various forums. I know you can go to the dealer & they can re-program your ECM but from what I understand, it isn't free by no means.

I've been wondering if there's anything in the ignition, where the key goes or elsewhere, that could be causing this problem.

Hope you find a solution & post up what you did to fix your ZJ's issue.
rlcii77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #20
orchimaxi
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Turns out mine was due to some crap-tastic work done by the P.O. When I replaced the stereo head unit (when I bought it it didn't have the faceplate, so I had to replace the whole thing) I soldered together my harness and plugged it in without checking out (what I thought) was stock wiring behind the gray and black plugs...turns out there was some extra wiring (forget the exact colors - a ground wire and a power wire) that were mated in with the stock wiring...now I haven't traced these back or figured out WTF they were put in there for, but when I installed my head unit those wires became energized and caused the no-start situation. So, if anyone knows anything about what those two wires are, that'd be cool...but otherwise, I cut them and now my ZJ runs like a champ! Only thing I've noticed is that the little computer display no longer powers up, but whatever...

Might go back in and disable the alarm again (had put it back together in order to keep trouble shooting), but other than that things seem fine!

Still have work to do (A/C, power locks, windows, some interior lighting, keyless entry...) but oh well - at least it's driving, inspected, registered and insured now!
56th SBCT

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.