ZJ spits and sputters in hot/wet weather - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ spits and sputters in hot/wet weather

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
BigEag205
2000 WJ 

ZJ spits and sputters in hot/wet weather

As the title says, after a certain distance of travel, the ZJ will start to spit and sputter in either hot or wet/damn weather conditions from what I've come to notice. It acts like it's getting moisture in the lines or cutting fuel. Seems to be worse under acceleration going up a hill. At first I thought maybe the fuel filter needed cleaned but then I thought that it would be doing that all the time if that were the case. I can make a 70Mile round trip, going up is fine but coming back it will do this. In cold weather I've made a 174 trip no problems...In the heat of the day though is a different story; I've had to pull over and take naps letting it cool back down for awhile. This makes a 3 hour trip into a 5.5 hour trip.
The Jeep doesn't over heat or anything, but once at operating temp for awhile in hot and/or wet/damp weather it does this. Any idea as of what to check? No EVAP system codes or any others are being thrown. I've had it throw a code once while doing it but by the time I got to an autozone/advanced the code was gone...Then I realized it doesn't even seem to have an OBD2

BigEag205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Distributor cap
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
BigEag205
2000 WJ 

would it not spit and sputter under acceleration all the time? It only does it after a certain distance is travelled and doesn't seem to do it in cooler weather
Unread 10-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Water/condensation can get in a cracked cap and it will run like dog doo until its dried up
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
BigEag205
2000 WJ 

If it were a distributor cap going bad, I'd think it would miss even while at idle and from start up to turn off. I'll check it tomorrow though and post my findings
Unread 10-16-2012, 04:57 AM   #6
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

I've had a crack in my old coil that would entirely kill the Jeep on rainy days, or after a nice water fording.
Unread 10-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
BigEag205
2000 WJ 

Checked the distributor cap. No problems with it. Im leaning towards it being fuel related personally. Any other ideas?
Unread 10-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Did you pull the coil off of it and look for cracks.....?
Unread 10-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
BigEag205
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtackerman28 View Post
Did you pull the coil off of it and look for cracks.....?
no, i just visually inspected it. I was going to check it today as Im juggling multiple project's right now but it rained. Ill repost when I'm able to tear it off.
Unread 10-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
errorcode3
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEag205 View Post
no, i just visually inspected it. I was going to check it today as Im juggling multiple project's right now but it rained. Ill repost when I'm able to tear it off.
its one of the cheaper repair parts, if you're yanking it off replace it anyways.
cap and rotor.

They can be super picky, i had one that ONLY when it snowed would it act up, rain it didn't throw a fit, but as soon as snow flew it went nuts.
Unread 10-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

instead of guessing.

how about.
last tune up?
compression?
fuel pressure?
fuel filter last change?
check the PCM for blown caps?
tested resistance of coil?

there's a lot of actual data you can get and compare to find out what's wrong insted of just throwing junk at a dart board.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
GoGetEmTurbo
1996 ZJ 

Did you ever get this problem figured out?It's kind of like an issue I'm having with my 96 5.2L.

www.dirtjunk.com
GoGetEmTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.