ZJ Skid Plate Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Skid Plate Install

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
96ZJVT
1996 ZJ 

ZJ Skid Plate Install

I scored factory skid plates from local junkyards. Steering, TC, and gas tank skid plates. No hardware.

Does anyone have a hardware list? Install instructions? Or photos? -Thanks.

-

96ZJVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

for the tcase one, you need to install nutserts in the crossmember and in the hole on the frame. mine didnt have them.
for the front end skid, you will remove that little plastic thingy thats bolted there and bolt the skid in its place. i think all the hardware is there for that one.
for the gas tank, if you have a hitch you need to remove it to install the skid. they bolt to the same holes. youll get the skid on first, then it gets sandwiched between the hitch and the frame. its kind of a juggling act, definately want 1 or 2 buddys to help you with this one.
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
BoostinChick
1998 ZJ 

I have a gas tank skid plate as well. I do not have a hitch, so all my bolt holes are empty. It also looks like you may need nut as well? Anyone have an idea on the proper thread pitch/sizing?
Unread 05-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
kachink
1998 ZJ 

For a '98.
tank.jpg   front-xfr.jpg  
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #5
iser
1997 ZJ 

for the transfercase skids, i just found some bolts that fit the holes and tapped it. hasn't given me any problems.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/isers-build-thread-1401938/"][B]MY BUILD THREAD LINK[/B] - [I]Updated on THU 23MAY2013[/I][/URL]

[B]Specs[/B]- 97 ZJ 5.2L - 4" Zone Lift - 285/75R16 Cooper STT
[B]Upcoming Projects[/B]- Front Axle Swap. On the look out for HP30.

[B][I]"lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way"[/I][/B]
- gen. george patton
iser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I had some nutserts for the transfer case skid plate that I gave away on here after I got mine. I bought a lot of them when I did mine. I'm pretty sure they were 10mm nutserts. I can't recall the outer diameter of them though. I actually ended up only using it in the frame rail and used flange bolts and flange nuts in the cross member. I also welded the lip of the nutsert to the frame rail to prevent it from spinning, like the factory ones do when you go to remove the skid plate. Fishing bolts into the frame rail for the gas tank skid will be fun. You'll have to pull the rear bumper cover to access the inside of the frame rails. The first one isn't that hard to get to, but after that, you'll need the help of a flexible magnet.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.