zj on the side of the freeway with belt off - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > zj on the side of the freeway with belt off

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #31
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

thanks everyone!

webhostingdesig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #32
HandsOn

Just checked out the one on this I-6 and the pulley is split diagonally across the grooves. Looks like the actual drive section is separate from the steel hub, which does not seem to be effected.
I wonder if this is how they come (it's so clean a split it looks like a cut seam) or if it's shrapnel waiting for a place to fly?

The actual brackets on the 4.0 are multi-piece steel stamped plates, so I'm guessing cracked and broken brackets are not as common on the 4.0?

Paul
HandsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:43 AM   #33
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsOn View Post
Just checked out the one on this I-6 and the pulley is split diagonally across the grooves. Looks like the actual drive section is separate from the steel hub, which does not seem to be effected.
I wonder if this is how they come (it's so clean a split it looks like a cut seam) or if it's shrapnel waiting for a place to fly?

The actual brackets on the 4.0 are multi-piece steel stamped plates, so I'm guessing cracked and broken brackets are not as common on the 4.0?

Paul
mine's a v8 so i dont know
Unread 07-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #34
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

ok so i took off the power steering pump, i have a V8 5.2L 4x4 so it might be different for others, but my power steering pump bracket was cracked in 4 pieces and it should be easy to replace...

question:

1) can i just go to autozone or pepboys or do i need to go to the dealer or to an aftermarket for the best bracket?
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #35
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

I could only find a replacement at a junk yard or a dealer.

Moss Green 95 5.2l zj- 3in lift (2" BB + Upcountry coils), 255 75 R17 BFG M/T on JK Moabs, Durango Airhat, Mopar ECU, Mopar Tire Carrier
vonericsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #36
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonericsen View Post
I could only find a replacement at a junk yard or a dealer.
they have them at the jeep dealer, in stock in my location, for $56.75. My dealer "closed promptly" at 5:30pm and i was there at 5:29pm so they lost my business and i ordered the bracket and the pulley online via ebay and saved more than $10, but will have to wait a week to get the parts. i could go today and get the parts but will not work with people who are rude. it took me all of 10-15 min to take off the power steering pump and bracket to see it broken into pieces, easy/quick fix.
Unread 07-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #37
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Take the belt off the idler pulley, put it around the tensioner, then put the wrench on the tensioner and loop the belt around the idler.

This worked! Thanks everyone. The original problem was the power steering bracket cracked into many pieces.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.