zj on the side of the freeway with belt off - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > zj on the side of the freeway with belt off

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #16
98ZJOKC

One more thing I thought of to check - all of the pulleys must be lined up. If for instance, bolts have come out of one of the accessories, and it is no longer aligned correctly, that could cause your belt to slip off. It would also cause the damage you described to your belt. Grab the alternator, compressor, water pump (not really an accessory), and power steering pump and see if you can move them. They should be solidly bolted to the engine and you should not be able to move them at all. It's not likely that this has happened, but it's also not likely that a belt would slip off for no reason.

98ZJOKC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #17
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ZJOKC View Post
One more thing I thought of to check - all of the pulleys must be lined up. If for instance, bolts have come out of one of the accessories, and it is no longer aligned correctly, that could cause your belt to slip off. It would also cause the damage you described to your belt. Grab the alternator, compressor, water pump (not really an accessory), and power steering pump and see if you can move them. They should be solidly bolted to the engine and you should not be able to move them at all. It's not likely that this has happened, but it's also not likely that a belt would slip off for no reason.
thanks!
webhostingdesig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #18
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

so do i need the long tensioner lever-wrench as shown in the video?
Unread 06-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #19
98ZJOKC

Because you are two hours away from your car, I went out and tested to see if you can move it with an 8" long 3/8 inch drive racket and you can. It's easier if you have a longer one.
98ZJOKC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #20
HandsOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhostingdesig View Post
how should the AC pulley spin?
Those are interesting. They are generally one of the most robust bearing designs on an engine.
For most of it's life, it will glide like velvet around it's clutch. The clutch is why it's so much larger than most pulleys in fact. When you hit the A/C dash switch, the thermostatically and pressure controlled clutch engages and disengages constantly, which is the cycling or clicking you sometimes hear.
You can watch as the engine is idling and see the outer part with the belt rotate with the rest of the accessories, but the center section that actually drives the air-conditioning compressor will only spin when the clutch is engaged.

So back to the description, when it's in good shape, your A/C compressor pulley will be velvety smooth and spin freely with just an easy spin. It might make several revolutions at least with just a quick spin.

If it's rough and "coggy" or makes a rattling noise, it's unfortunately going to be time to replace it soon. You used to be able to buy just the clutch/pulley assembly, but these days most places just sell you the whole compressor.
Which is why everybody hates changing the A/C stuff. It gets expensive and time consuming real quick.
Hopefully yours is fine.

Quote:
In my Porsche when the belt breaks the engine breaks so I was a little worried. And the Porsche belt has to be scientifically tensioned with a special tool so I was worried about this one plus I didn't understand how this one worked last night when it broke.
Might be two different types of belts we're talking about here, but I'll mention both just in case.
Depending on your model, if it's air-cooled then your belt drives the cooling fan and the engine will quickly heat up. Same as with your Jeep belt not pumping water, but an air-cooled engine will often overheat quicker than a water-pumper engine will.
Neither one is happy driving for long, so you did the right thing by pulling over. But either one can be driven for short bursts to get you where you're going. I've done the "beltless two-step" with a few motors. Just watch the gauges and don't be impatient.

The other belts I'm thinking of are cam timing belts. Your Porsche probably uses a chain in this case, but if it's a belt, that would certainly "kill" an engine if it broke.
Some engines are "interference" type, while others aren't. In the case of a non-interference engine, if the timing belt or chain brakes, you're just dead in the water. Not dead completely. A new belt and your engine is happy again.
With an interference engine though, as the name implies, when things come out of time, they can hit each other as the engine rotates. Not a good thing, as you can imagine. New belt, along with a whole rebuild and then you're free to go.
After paying dearly for it.

Again though, I thought your engine would have had a chain (but it might depend on which model again) so you're probably talking about the accessory drive belt (like we're talking about for the Jeep) which would just kill the cooling. Not an immediate death-sentence, but that's entire up to the driver.

Paul
HandsOn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #21
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

ok so we are here with the jeep and the power steer pulley was about 5 degrees out of alignment, the new belt wouldnt stay on because of this... then i was pulling on the power steering pulley and broke the pulley clean off... its some kind of plastic composite material...

so now we have a jeep with a broken power steering pulley and a power steering pulley out of line with the rest of the pulleys...

1) how much for a shop to fix this in socal?

2) is it possible to replace just the power steering pulley here on he side of the road?

3) how do i adjust the angle of the power steering pump and its pulley?

4) any tow company tips near glendale and the 134 freeway?
Unread 06-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #22
HandsOn

Well hells-bells and boo on the Jeep for leaving you double-stranded web. And on a hot day too!
I'm guessing what passes for a hot day down your way at least. I know we're at our hottest this year so far today, so guessing your not feeling much of a cooling breeze off the ocean or snow-capped mountains right about now.

I'm only good for keeping you company at this point. Not sure how the steering setup is on your rig, so can't offer legitimate advice. I do know that with a shorter belt you can sometimes bypass a pulley to get you home. And it's drivable without power steering. Not fun mind you, but doable.
If yours has A/C then, you could probably do it based on those images OKC posted.

On older rigs it's possible to do a power steering pulley by the side of the road, but ONLY with the proper P/S pulley puller and installer tool. Virtually impossible without the tool though.
For yours with the plastic pulley, I have no idea.

For aligning, it depends on what was wrong. If it was just the pulley, you don't need to realign the pump. Just install the new pulley correctly and you're done. If it's the mounts that are bent or loose though, you'll have to determine that for yourself.
For a shop to fix, again depending on what the actual problem is, I would expect somewhere between $75 (for just a pulley install) to $350 (if something has to be fixed and/or replaced) or thereabouts.
Just a total SWAG though. Each shop can be different.

Good luck. Stay cool.
Can't help on the two. Niece is near Glendale, but is probably working in downtown L.A. today anyway.
Maybe a fellow Jeep-brother is in the house and can help?

Paul
Unread 06-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #23
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

its over 100F and just called for a tow $300

thanks for the help, i have someone here and family in town
Unread 06-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #24
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

ive read that this is caused by a broken PS pump bracket and is a common failure in the V8 zj
Unread 06-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #25
HandsOn

And now it's even more common!
Guess none of my V8 friends put enough miles on theirs to experience the same issue.
Lucky buggers!

Paul
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #26
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

I had that bracket break on mine. It's easy to replace, and the newer design is less likely to break.

Moss Green 95 5.2l zj- 3in lift (2" BB + Upcountry coils), 255 75 R17 BFG M/T on JK Moabs, Durango Airhat, Mopar ECU, Mopar Tire Carrier
vonericsen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #27
HandsOn

Would that design be on any junkyard trucks after a certain year? Or is a "new" item only?

Paul
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #28
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

It's possible it could be on a junkyard vehicle, but the original would have to have been replaced.
The difference is that one area in the bracket used to be thin, but it's filled in as solid aluminum now. There's a thread somewhere on this forum with a picture comparison to give you a better idea what changed between the brackets.

Moss Green 95 5.2l zj- 3in lift (2" BB + Upcountry coils), 255 75 R17 BFG M/T on JK Moabs, Durango Airhat, Mopar ECU, Mopar Tire Carrier
Unread 06-30-2013, 01:55 AM   #29
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

questions:

1) do I need to replace the whole pump or just the bracket? best bracket?
2) can i get a new pulley and not replace the whole pump? best kind of pulley?
3) can i replace the bracket without taking off any of the tubing/hoses on the pump and getting messy?
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #30
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
questions:

1) do I need to replace the whole pump or just the bracket? best bracket?
2) can i get a new pulley and not replace the whole pump? best kind of pulley?
3) can i replace the bracket without taking off any of the tubing/hoses on the pump and getting messy?
1. If the pump still works and the shaft is straight, you will only have to replace the bracket. I purchased the new bracket at the dealer. I don't remember how much it was though.
2. Yes. Parts stores only carry the plastic pulleys and I hear some people brake them pushing them on. Your other option is to grab a metal pulley from a 93-95 zj in the junk yard. (You can rent the puller/installer tools at the parts store)
3. Yes. There are 3 bolts holding the pump to the bracket. Remove them, then move the pump to the side. 3 more bolts to remove the bracket. When reinstalling be careful not to cross thread anything or strip the threads out. Once you have the bracket and pump reinstalled, use the pulley installer tool to push the pulley onto the power steering pump shaft.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.