ZJ Shopping, Pointers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Shopping, Pointers?

New jk doors from steinjagerOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 12-29-2003, 05:41 PM   #1
BlueCuda

ZJ Shopping, Pointers?

Hello Everyone

After some recent 4x4 trips with some friends of mine with XJs and CJs I have caught the 4x4 Bug BAD . Kind of interested in getting a 97-98 Grand but have a few questions about them.

1. What years were the 5.9s available? 98 only?
2. Select Track is the T-case I want from what I understand
3. Most of the V-8s have the aluminum 44 which there is no locker for correct?(want to lock in the rear)
4. I asked some of the repair shops I deal with at work about them and they said the usual chrysler corp trouble, trans and electrical how true is this?
5. Difference between Laredo, TSI, Limited etc(prefer limited or equiv)
6. Whats it take to fit a 31x10.50 tire package? 33s?

Thanks for any pointers you can give me in advance.

This will not be my first 4x4 I sold a 91 Toyota Regular Cab a few years ago that was lifted 3" had 33x12.50 Wrangler MTs, 5.29 gears and a rear locker. Wanting a Jeep this time around so I can have a comfortable daily driver as well as something I can go wheeling in.

TIA
Clark

Last edited by BlueCuda; 12-29-2003 at 05:57 PM..
BlueCuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2003, 12:30 AM   #2
Jumper

1. 98 only

2. Selectrac has 4hi-FT 4hi-PT 4lo and 2wd, but not common with V8

I'll let someone more knowledgeable answer the rest

Post a pic or 2 of the Cuda man...love them second gens
Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2003, 06:36 AM   #3
BlueCuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumper
1. 98 only

2. Selectrac has 4hi-FT 4hi-PT 4lo and 2wd, but not common with V8

I'll let someone more knowledgeable answer the rest

Post a pic or 2 of the Cuda man...love them second gens
Thanks for the Info, here is a pic of it in street trim(missmatched rear rims with street tires)
Unread 12-30-2003, 08:19 AM   #4
ZickZJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCuda
Hello Everyone

1. What years were the 5.9s available? 98 only?
2. Select Track is the T-case I want from what I understand
3. Most of the V-8s have the aluminum 44 which there is no locker for correct?(want to lock in the rear)
4. I asked some of the repair shops I deal with at work about them and they said the usual chrysler corp trouble, trans and electrical how true is this?
5. Difference between Laredo, TSI, Limited etc(prefer limited or equiv)
6. Whats it take to fit a 31x10.50 tire package? 33s?

TIA
Clark
1. 98' only
2. Select trac is better than the Quadratrac, but forget about tring to find a V8 with one. Better off swapping it in later. (not that hard of a process)
3. Very limited to either Lock-Right, Aussie, and maybe one more
4. Trans is a very common problem, a little on electrical
6. I run 31x10.50 with just a BB, to run 33's you'll need at least 3.5" and a good amount of trimming.

97' ZJ, SOLD
ZickZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2003, 09:31 AM   #5
xXHotelCrazyXx

Cuda, i live in tulsa as well, i have never seen yor cuda anywhere, have you ever been to tuesday night cruisers? I have a ZJ as well, you might have seen me around tulsa

To fit 31's you could get a BB, which i dont reccomend because its hardly a lift. If you want to get a real great looking height i would strongly reccomend a 3" to 4.5" with coil spacers from www.rubiconexpress.com You could fit 33's with the 4.5" lift and coil spacers.

Check out www.rustysoffroad.com

www.rockkrawler.com

www.tomken.com
1994 Grand Cherokee Ltd V8, Rustys 4.5 lift, Daystar 2" Spacers up front, Rustys Intake, Rustys Adjustable LCA's, 31x10.5 BFG MT's, AR 767's, 3" Carsound Cat, 3" Pipe, Flowmaster 50 Series, Mike Leach Headers, Clear corners, Billet grille, 5% tint, Front and rear Trailready Bumpers, Cowl hood www.cardomain.com/id/xxhotelcrazyxx

Last edited by xXHotelCrazyXx; 12-30-2003 at 09:35 AM..
xXHotelCrazyXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2003, 02:46 PM   #6
Jumper

The Cuda looks great man...Makes me miss my 340 Swinger all the more
Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2003, 03:53 PM   #7
BlueCuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXHotelCrazyXx
Cuda, i live in tulsa as well, i have never seen yor cuda anywhere, have you ever been to tuesday night cruisers? I have a ZJ as well, you might have seen me around tulsa

To fit 31's you could get a BB, which i dont reccomend because its hardly a lift. If you want to get a real great looking height i would strongly reccomend a 3" to 4.5" with coil spacers from www.rubiconexpress.com You could fit 33's with the 4.5" lift and coil spacers.

Check out www.rustysoffroad.com

www.rockkrawler.com

www.tomken.com
They Frown on Beer Drinking at the tuesday night cruises so I don't go that often . Generally go to the tuesday night test n tune at the track. The Barracuda has not been out hardly at all in the last year. Working on a new 340 slowly but surely. Is your Jeep Green? You have work done at Ryno? I am a route manager for Interstate Batteries and Ryno is one of my accounts and I have seen a jeep that fits the description of your sig there. Thanks for the info and nice Jeep

So I guess there is lockers available for the Aluminum Dana 44? I was told otherwise and its good to hear the opposite. I had a lock right in my Yoda and had zero trouble with it. The Lock Right had at least 60K miles on it when I sold the truck and LOTs of wheeling with no trouble.

Last edited by BlueCuda; 12-30-2003 at 03:57 PM..
Unread 12-31-2003, 02:20 PM   #8
BlueCuda

Wow, not as much info as I thought here.

So the Pre-96 has a crappy T-case from what I understand correct? I would have to swap to a later model T-case to get the 4 Low Lock feature I guess? Found some good deals on some lifted 95s but don't want a piss poor T-case. Thanks!
Clark
Unread 12-31-2003, 02:49 PM   #9
ZickZJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

There are only three TCs available from 93-99 which are the 231 which has 4-HI, 4-LO, and 2-HI. The 242(select-trac) has 4-Fulltime, 4-HI, 4-LO, and 2-HI. The 249(Quadratrac) has only 4-Fulltime and 4-LO.

Yes there is a single difference in the 249 TC between the Pre-96 and 96-later. The Pre-96 do not have 4-LO lock where as the 96-laters do.

Also if you are looking for a V8, then 99% you are going to get the 249. I had yet to see one without it, I have looked.
The 231 and 242 are basically identical except the 242 gives you the 4-fulltime which has its benefits.

I know the 4-LO lock applys to the 249 on 96-later, but I'm not sure if it still applys to the 231 & 242 as well?

I'd say just look for the 96-later to be on the safe side and IMO with the redisgned interior & exterior I think they look better too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCuda
Wow, not as much info as I thought here.

So the Pre-96 has a crappy T-case from what I understand correct? I would have to swap to a later model T-case to get the 4 Low Lock feature I guess? Found some good deals on some lifted 95s but don't want a piss poor T-case. Thanks!
Clark

97' ZJ, SOLD
ZickZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2003, 03:18 PM   #10
BlueCuda

thanks for the info, getting ready to go look at a 96 Right now V8 Limited right now

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.