ZJ roof rack pics/designs - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ roof rack pics/designs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #31
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

This one cost a bit more, but is sturdy and has all the necessary hardware to install the spare on it.
I don't have mine in it though since I have the matching rear bumper with tire carrier.

bumpers-4-lights-left.jpg   bumper-4-lights-right.jpg  
[] ---o-[]

My 97 ZJ Build
SpeedyCat3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 06:32 AM   #32
seanom
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannonjr View Post
I took 2 extra roof rack bars off a scrapped ZJ, put em on, used the front for a light bar, the 2 rear to mount my spare tire and the rear for my back up lights...cost me nothing but time...

how did you tie the tire securely? I was thinking of making something out of steel and then using a wing nut and bolt... did you just tie it?

I need to get the damn tire out of my trunk
seanom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 07:39 AM   #33
treycox
1996 ZJ 

Here's mine. Don't really know much about it due to it being a gift. Its a smittybuilt and it sat in my father inlaws garage for a few years. Apparently he got it for like $50 through some promotion they ran years ago.
Unread 01-31-2011, 08:57 AM   #34
smokeyeager
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cAcHe- View Post
these are the best pics i have on my photobucket right now...i have some closer ones at home. took the design from KOR!! and cost me less than half to make.
I'm working on designing a rack using google sketch up with about the same design. I was thinking of mounting a light rack up front and 1 light off the back, running all the wire through the tubing to a modified trailer wiring harness to a quick disconnect over the interior dome light. It's still in the planning phase but it should be pretty slick when it's done.
smokeyeager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #35
PhoenixZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones View Post
Here's mine.

I wouldn't recommend putting the spare tire on the roof. A rear tire carrier would be a much better approach.

Why you shouldn't:
More difficult to get to if you need to use it.
Lowers mpg by a few miles.
Creates an even more top heavy center of gravity.
Where did you get your roof rack form? Did you get it locally in Phoenix?
PhoenixZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #36
SCZJ

1994 ZJ 

I'd like to know, too. That's a great looking rough rack.
Unread 06-15-2013, 03:42 AM   #37
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

I'm currently building my own roof rack, should be done with it in the next couple of days. I made it from 1" square steel tube that I got free from work. Its 4" deep, 54" long, 34" wide, got an X-braced rear area for the spare which uses a length of all-thread welded to the center of the X for the spare tire hold-down (will fit up to a 35" tire) and an 18"x34" area up front for cargo. All I need to do is figure out a good mounting technique and then paint it and whaa-laa, its done. Total cost = several feet of .030 MIG welding wire, a bit of argon/co2 gas, and a can of Rustoleum Professional flat black. :-) Figure it would cost well over $200 for one like it, this sucker is a serious rack--- not flimsey thin-walled Chinese crap. It weighs about 35 lbs but the strength is worth it.
ErikTheRad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #38
ROFLwaffles
1998 ZJ 

Holy 5 year old thread resurrection Batman.... lol
ROFLwaffles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #39
Zakimations
1996 ZJ 

I bought a custom made roof rack from someone nearby. It wasn't made for a ZJ.

This rack has a flat bottom, and the ZJ has a curved roof.

Solution: Removed stock rail system, went to local hardware store and found some perfect cone shaped rubber spacers in a small and large size. Drilled holes down through the center of them, bought longer bolts of the same size/thread as the ones that came out of the stock rails. Before I knew it I had a flat roof rack perfectly shimmed onto a curved roof. Its solid as a rock too.

Zakimations is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #40
PhoenixZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakimations
I bought a custom made roof rack from someone nearby. It wasn't made for a ZJ.

This rack has a flat bottom, and the ZJ has a curved roof.

Solution: Removed stock rail system, went to local hardware store and found some perfect cone shaped rubber spacers in a small and large size. Drilled holes down through the center of them, bought longer bolts of the same size/thread as the ones that came out of the stock rails. Before I knew it I had a flat roof rack perfectly shimmed onto a curved roof. Its solid as a rock too.
Very nice! That gives me a good idea on what to do with mine
PhoenixZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #41
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

Here's a link to my conduit roof rack with awning. And I'm gona look into what zakimations did to mount his cause that's really smart.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/m...wning-1533661/
Cherokee95kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #42
Zakimations
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee95kid
Here's a link to my conduit roof rack with awning. And I'm gona look into what zakimations did to mount his cause that's really smart.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/m...wning-1533661/
I think mimicking my approach will work great. The floor of my rack is a chain-link style steel so I could run the long bolts through it with large washers to add holding strength. That's all there was to it.

If you need any measurements / bolt sizes let me know.

If you haven't already found out, the threads holding the stock rails on are actually plastic inserts. I was skeptical to whether or not they offered any real structural support but they have proven to be tough and reliable. I've been wheeling hard with a spare 32" tire on top for 2 years and they still don't have any play in them.

Whatever spacers you use, treat them like bushings. They are susceptible to dry rotting in the sun. Do what you can to make them last more than a couple years.

Cheers.
Zakimations is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:53 AM   #43
zjfamilyman
1997 ZJ 

1) Sleeping in the back of a ZJ is awesome, I'm six foot and my feet don't get past the bumper. 2) Roof top carriers are great for guys with smaller lifts and tires, lifting a Jeep more than 3 inches will do much more to its COG than putting a tire on the roof.
I just finished mine. I found an old lift basket and hacked it up. I may ad some more structural supports later but right now it's strong and light enough for my needs, it didn't cost me more than the paint and looks pretty good imo.
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #44
Jramos43
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones View Post
Here's mine.

I wouldn't recommend putting the spare tire on the roof. A rear tire carrier would be a much better approach.

Why you shouldn't:
More difficult to get to if you need to use it.
Lowers mpg by a few miles.
Creates an even more top heavy center of gravity.

Im in love with your truck man. Whats in it? From the tire size to rim style, roof rack and lights. and where can i get some, cuz damn bro thats a sick looking Jeep.
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #45
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Heres mine. just finished it.
its made from 3/4" 16 gauge square tube. bottom frame is 53"x44" (i have a sunroof and didnt want the rack to go over it. less wind noise that way). top frame is 44" square, and its 5 inches tall. i made the top part smaller than the bottom so i could make the front slanted to deflect trees and such while wheeling. the whole thing is very strong and i can stand on it and jump and theres hardly any flex at all (i weigh around 260lbs).
anyway heres some pictures:

made a shovel mount on it too. just some extra square tube with some holes drilled (so i can put a lock thru it) and 2 wing nuts and a little plate i made.

not mounted yet, just sitting there:

still need to paint it, it will be flat black. i will post more pictures when its all painted and mounted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.