zj roll cage? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > zj roll cage?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
j33pwh33l3r
1993 ZJ 

zj roll cage?

I got on this site yesterday, and the people helped me with a lift kit, that i bought and think will look awesome on the jeep. now i am wondering about a roll cage for the zj. i have been trying to find pics, but have been having a hard time. hoping to see some pics. just trying to get some ideas. if you have a cage in your zj, can you post something on the thread, and i will come look at your pics? Thank you. also open to ideas if anyone has any to give.

j33pwh33l3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
frAnken_rubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

FYI you might not get too much feedback here. But what type of cage are you looking at. There's the internal cage or an exo skeleton. Most people I know run an exo skeleton like this.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/frankin_rubi-tj-build-1140219
frAnken_rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

Just google it I saw a few different types of roll cages. Most of them are custom fab jobs. I haven't seen a kit you can buy yet. But there are some pics of bolt together roll cage and others are fully welded.
Cherokee95kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Rockhard 4x4 makes an internal cage.

But they are not really needed unless you are doing extreme stuff. Based on you other posts and your plans, you have no need for one at all. I wold put the money into making your lift better.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
billyzj
1994 ZJ 

theres one in quadratec catolog for a xj but i belive the same company makes it for the zj
billyzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
GoGetEmTurbo
1996 ZJ 

The Rock Hard 4x4 cage is a really nice set up. I've been eyeing them for awhile now. Next best thing to custom built as far as I'm concerned. I've never been a fan of Exo cages personally. Since I plan on keeping my dash, a removable cage would be perfect in case I ever need to pull it out for some reason. Here's the link to the Rock hard page:

http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-1031.htm

www.dirtjunk.com
GoGetEmTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

the rock hard cage really ISN'T a nice set up. for way too many reasons to get into again.

it'll help SOME, but not much.

find a local race shop and have them build a full custom cage inside the jeep. it's really the only completely safe way to go.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
j33pwh33l3r
1993 ZJ 

I am looking g to do an internal one. I will weld it together myself, I'm just looking for ideas. I have a family that likes to go wheeling, and i live in Colorado, so the little mistake could just be the wrong one.
j33pwh33l3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

it just bolts into the floor so theres no real structural integrity in that.

plus its call a 'sport cage' not a roll cage. don't confuse the two. anything put together with clamps and bolts won't fit the bill of a roll cage.

maybe make a wee bit stronger it you sandwich the floor with plate, then tie it into the uniframe/stiffeners between the front/back. still marginal.

its doubtfull it will last more than one roll over, but might save your life.

and if you dump that ZJ on its lid, you'll be parting it out and finding a new one again anyways.

05' WK Hemi limited ~ family hauler

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
FAlfani81
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frAnken_rubi View Post
FYI you might not get too much feedback here. But what type of cage are you looking at. There's the internal cage or an exo skeleton. Most people I know run an exo skeleton like this.

cant help but point out the 6 lugs and manual lockers
FAlfani81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #11
GoGetEmTurbo
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
the rock hard cage really ISN'T a nice set up. for way too many reasons to get into again.

it'll help SOME, but not much.

find a local race shop and have them build a full custom cage inside the jeep. it's really the only completely safe way to go.

I agree that the bolt in style "sport cage" isn't nearly as good and a fully well designed welded in cage. The difference is the price. A properly built welded in cage is $2500+ unless you build it yourself. Even if you build it yourself and don't take tool cost into account, you are looking at $1000 in materials and a crap ton of time.

Essentially it boils down to what you are going to use the vehicle for. For me, my Jeep is a daily driver. I don't put it into and real roll over potential but would like a little extra strength for the entire uni-body of the rig. If you are planning on putting in this cage and go run the Hammers or anything remotely like it, then it's obviously not the right choice. I've known several people who have rolled their Jeep with a Rockhard cage and came out unscathed but that doesn't mean it can handle multiple rolls or severe back flips or anything. It would be a low priced alternative if you are looking for a little extra.

www.dirtjunk.com
Unread 08-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGetEmTurbo View Post
A properly built welded in cage is $2500+ unless you build it yourself. Even if you build it yourself and don't take tool cost into account, you are looking at $1000 in materials and a crap ton of time.
dude that is some expensive tube!
Unread 08-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
GoGetEmTurbo
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
and if you dump that ZJ on its lid, you'll be parting it out and finding a new one again anyways.
I agree completely! This is the real benefit to an Exo cage. They are just not my cup of tea and are rarely built correctly so they don't fold like a cardboard box when you push on one corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingtheZJ View Post
dude that is some expensive tube!
If you use mild steel you can get it cheaper but then there isn't as much benefit. DOM is better strength and a little more $$$ and best is Chromoly which gets pricey.

Out here in the south west, a lot of the racing sanctions are starting to require a 2" diameter .250 wall main hoop and sometimes more depending on the weight of the rig.

Anyhow, sorry to clutter up your thread j33pwh33l3r! Good luck with your build. If you've got the know how and tools to build your own, go for it! Best route to go as long as it's built right.

www.dirtjunk.com
Unread 08-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #14
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=GoGetEmTurbo;13984787]
Out here in the south west, a lot of the racing sanctions are starting to require a 2" diameter .250 wall main hoop and sometimes more depending on the weight of the rig.

QUOTE]

really? what do they think you're going to do? drive it off the side of a moutain?

05' WK Hemi limited ~ family hauler

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
GoGetEmTurbo
1996 ZJ 

[quote=JohnnyZJ;13984815]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGetEmTurbo View Post

QUOTE]

really? what do they think you're going to do? drive it off the side of a moutain?
haha In some cases they do. These a desert race rigs that are doing 50 mph plus through whoops, sand washes, mountain passes and whatnot. Some of the most fun I've ever had.

www.dirtjunk.com

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.