ZJ REAR DIFFERENTIAL issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ REAR DIFFERENTIAL issue

Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Alexandru999
1997 ZJ 

ZJ REAR DIFFERENTIAL issue

Hello guys,

My jeep : jeep zj 97 215000 km 4.0 il6 stock

Today going to work and coming back i heard an almost UN-noticeable clunk clunk (as if a ball is in a pan, rolling) coming from my rear driver site wheel, at first i thought it was my nuts going loose so i stopped afraid ill loose the wheel, all were tight ... (the low noise comes at high speeds - over 60-70 km/h)

i took it to my 4x4 usual garage, they said i need to change the WHOLE rear diff, a 1500$ job, i asked them to show me since my mechanic knowledge is limited , the ONLY problem they showed me was the "dana" thing i believe? they didnt give me exact terms just pointing finger,so ill upload a pic i took there, i call it (hole that looks like a hole in a tree holding the 4 gears that move the wheels, that "chamber" ) ok laugh they just showed me that it was a little play, thats it, "teeth" are perfect, not chipped at all ...... this car means a lot to me, my 1st car, i have it since 2006,never had problems, i change oils, everything, saved me from 2 accidents with no damage to it, its a part of me

im not bad with my jeep, but this exceeds my capabilities, anything i can do for cheap? im a broke student, they said its a "1 piece" everything, thats why so expensive, and they have to re-do brake lines, ABS, ETC that comes with the whole replacement , thats why 1,5k

please help

img_1777.jpg  
Alexandru999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Holy RTV Batman

Your crosspin holding your spider (the 4 small ones inside the carrier) gears is wallowing?

Your question is hard to understand.

A DANA refers to an axle not a specific part IN the axle.

IE dana 30, 44, 60,70 ect.

^build thread^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You can buy a good used complete axle assembly, and install it yourself using regular hand tools. That will save you about $1250.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
And this^^ Id pull axles from a yard all day before I paid that kinda money for an axle repair

^build thread^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
papitt
1995 ZJ 

... ME TOO I'd go to the wrecking yard and I'm an old dealer guy.. I was always that we charged folks so much to rebuild their rear end .. When we could have just got them a COMPLETE AXLE from the YARD .....
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Alexandru999
1997 ZJ 

crosspin as in the pin between the spiders? no, is the "outside ring" as the arrows show, that whole chambers has a little play, BUT gears inside dont play, just the "exterior shield" if i can call it like that ..... but if a shake in that can CAUSE the 4 inside to shake, that i have no knowledge of

obviously i will not pay that much money even if i had too, yards was one of my 2nd idea as well

thanks for replies
Unread 12-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
joe19934
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandru999 View Post
Hello guys,

My jeep : jeep zj 97 215000 km 4.0 il6 stock

Today going to work and coming back i heard an almost UN-noticeable clunk clunk (as if a ball is in a pan, rolling) coming from my rear driver site wheel, at first i thought it was my nuts going loose so i stopped afraid ill loose the wheel, all were tight ... (the low noise comes at high speeds - over 60-70 km/h)

i took it to my 4x4 usual garage, they said i need to change the WHOLE rear diff, a 1500$ job, i asked them to show me since my mechanic knowledge is limited , the ONLY problem they showed me was the "dana" thing i believe? they didnt give me exact terms just pointing finger,so ill upload a pic i took there, i call it (hole that looks like a hole in a tree holding the 4 gears that move the wheels, that "chamber" ) ok laugh they just showed me that it was a little play, thats it, "teeth" are perfect, not chipped at all ...... this car means a lot to me, my 1st car, i have it since 2006,never had problems, i change oils, everything, saved me from 2 accidents with no damage to it, its a part of me

im not bad with my jeep, but this exceeds my capabilities, anything i can do for cheap? im a broke student, they said its a "1 piece" everything, thats why so expensive, and they have to re-do brake lines, ABS, ETC that comes with the whole replacement , thats why 1,5k

please help
It looks like a Dana 35 and they are a lot easier to find and less money !
I'd look for a good one and swap it for a ton less $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!
You should look for one in a junk yard
Unread 12-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

bull****
tell them for 1500 they can give you a ****ing mechanical term............

its easy to swap a rear diff. done lots, blah blah blah. but you can always get a bad one from the wrecker as well.

curiousity wants to know what they said is 'bad'

swapping a diff yourself is ok if you have the tools. that includes a good jack, some 6 ton jack stands, 2 ton stands, a bunch of hand tools. its simple enough really. but 1500$ to rebuild a D35? no.

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 04:52 AM   #9
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

To give you an idea of whats involved look here. I got technical with it but you'll still get the gist. Click the link in my sig.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #10
Alexandru999
1997 ZJ 

cool thanks, im still not clear, lets say THERE is basic swap, re-doing the brakes lines, abs, etc, is that true also? because i find it hard to get why if i replace for example, with an identical one, i need to re-do those things? there are no new modifications
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
KJK
1998 ZJ 

There's going to be a little "play" in that so called "chamber " that is holding the 4 gears in the picture. The play is the backlash in the gears and a little is O.K. As far as the clicking sound by the wheel, it could be a bad wheel bearing or maybe a bent splash shield lightly contacting the rotor. I'd take it to another shop. I smell something fishy here.
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #12
Alexandru999
1997 ZJ 

yes, i will for sure visit another shop or two to get an idea before any decision / yard, as for bearings, i tried moving the wheels to see if they wobble but there was no play, they were solid from what i could tell, if i could remember the exact play, id say, 1 ~ 2 mm, what ALSO puzzles me, is if they say the issues is there, why do i get the noise exactly from the rear left end wheel ? shouldnt it be more centered? and why not both wheels?
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #13
KJK
1998 ZJ 

I think the problem is at the left rear wheel where the sound is just as you suspect. The bearing could be just starting to go bad and not have a lot of play in it yet but still make noise. Also that axle shaft could have wear on the surface that the bearing rides on causing a noise. Not being there it's hard to diagnose but I would seriously doubt you need a whole new rear end.
Unread 12-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #14
papitt
1995 ZJ 

.. While I was at the Stealership we replace a lot of wheel bearings .. ANd all the customers were told they had to have a new axle shafts at the same times.. Swap shops and find one that want to bad mouth the one you came from..
... Shops always want to Disk the Shop before them to make a customer. So if you work this story against the new shop. They'll hang themselves to give you a good deal .. Their counting on getting your business on the next job..
.. Sorry But I don't have a lot of trust in shops.
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
Alexandru999
1997 ZJ 

yes, you're right ... will do so, axles,differentials is something i never touched, so this i cant do without help

thank you all for your time, i got more feedback than expected so i appreciate it !

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.