zj rear diff breather please HHEELLPPP!!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > zj rear diff breather please HHEELLPPP!!!!!!

DynoMax fall Ultra Flo Welded rebate is here!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Shocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 04-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
zj98ny

zj rear diff breather please HHEELLPPP!!!!!!

hey guys sorry if im in the wrong section but i am having a major problem my 98zj had mud in the rear diff i had to do whole new bearings in the rear and my mechanic said my breather sucked in all the mud i also have noticed oil leaking out of the junction box and noticed the breather is ziptied into the junction box whole and i took it out and there is a straight hole going all the way through the junction box is there supposto be a hole all the way through? please help there is also no threads on the breather plug but inside the box there does not look like anything is supposto be screwed in anyways please help!!!!!

zj98ny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj98ny View Post
hey guys sorry if im in the wrong section but i am having a major problem my 98zj had mud in the rear diff i had to do whole new bearings in the rear and my mechanic said my breather sucked in all the mud i also have noticed oil leaking out of the junction box and noticed the breather is ziptied into the junction box whole and i took it out and there is a straight hole going all the way through the junction box is there supposto be a hole all the way through? please help there is also no threads on the breather plug but inside the box there does not look like anything is supposed to be screwed in anyways please help!!!!!
The junction box you speak of is called a "T" block. It is the union of the rear brake hose to the rear brake hard lines and also acts as the vent for the rear axle. The bolt that goes through the center of this block to the axle tube is the axle vent itself.

There should be a rubber hose or a breather cap on top of the "T" block bolt (which is hollow). If the cap or hose is missing then that is why you took on water. It is also possible the bolt is broken off flush with the axle tube which means it would have to be removed and a new bolt installed.

The zip tie you mentioned tells me that the "T" block bolt is either broken off or is missing entirely.
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
zj98ny

hey thanks yah it slides right in and goes all the way through the bolt has no threads on it anymore and easily goes in and out the hole on the t block. It also goes completely all the way through is this normal. I could put my pinky finger through it and it would pop out the top im going to take pictures tomorrow and post them up .. thanks for the help!
Unread 04-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
zj98ny

Unread 04-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
zj98ny

Unread 04-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #6
zj98ny

http://s795.photobucket.com/albums/y...t=breather.jpg

HERE is the pic
Unread 04-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #7
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

click free for you

there should be a hole in the top of your axle that the bolt threads to it no threads on that block

is that duct tape holding your break line
squazz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
zj98ny

omg thanks lol i didnt even see that hole every thing ive been looking up says it goes in the square thx so much .. and no thats the breather i took the duct taape off but there was nothng underneathe idk i bought it that way

thanks for the help
Unread 04-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #9
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj98ny View Post
omg thanks lol i didnt even see that hole every thing ive been looking up says it goes in the square thx so much .. and no thats the breather i took the duct taape off but there was nothng underneathe idk i bought it that way

thanks for the help
The breather vent bolt does go through the square t-block and then into the hole in the top of the axle tube. Its what holds the t-block down to the axle.
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.