ZJ RE 3.5" lift, Rubicon take offs, trimming? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ RE 3.5" lift, Rubicon take offs, trimming?

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 06-23-2013, 02:34 AM   #1
hondakilla98
1998 ZJ 

ZJ RE 3.5" lift, Rubicon take offs, trimming?

I'm looking to put some different wheels and tires on my 5.9. I currently have 31x10.5's on some 15x8 wheels with too little backspace. I've been thinking about getting 1.25" adaptor spacers and some 17" Rubicon take offs with 32's. I've read that I'll need to trim, I'm just wondering where. It looks like I'll be ok in the front with my arb bumper. But it looks really close to the front of the wheel well in the back. What will I need to trim to make this work? This will only see mild trails and is my dd.

5.9 Limited, RE 4" lift, RE FTB, JK take offs w/ 255/75/17 BFG MT's, 1.25" wheel adapters, ARB Bumper, Superwinch LP10000, K&N intake, Flowmaster, custom JL & Focal stereo, 20% tint, KOR roof mount tire carrier, JCR sliders, cobra 75 wx st
hondakilla98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondakilla98
I'm looking to put some different wheels and tires on my 5.9. I currently have 31x10.5's on some 15x8 wheels with too little backspace. I've been thinking about getting 1.25" adaptor spacers and some 17" Rubicon take offs with 32's. I've read that I'll need to trim, I'm just wondering where. It looks like I'll be ok in the front with my arb bumper. But it looks really close to the front of the wheel well in the back. What will I need to trim to make this work? This will only see mild trails and is my dd.
If you have stock control arms with the 3.5 in lift it will pull the axle closer to the middle of the jeep. Get adjustable control arms to push it back and centered in the wheel wells to cut down on how much you might need to trim. You will also need the 1.5 in spacers or properly back spaced rims to avoid rubbing while turning.
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Even with the spacer/adapters it will be equivalent to running a rim with 4.5" of BS, so you'll rub some stuff. Don't center the rear wheel in the wheel well either.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 03:49 AM   #4
hondakilla98
1998 ZJ 

I have the RE 3.5" super ride lift. So I'm running stock length uppers, RE adjustable front lowers, and RE fixed length rear lower control arms.

As far as backspacing, that's what I was worried about. I've read that the 17" moab wheels have 6.25" backspace. So even with 1.25" spacers I'd be at 5" backspace. While 4.5" is recomended by the FAQ. So why don't I see guys running 1.75"adapters?

I'm looking for a cheap, good looking way to get a set of 5 wheels and tires for my jeep. This is by far the most cost effective that I've found so far.
5.9 Limited, RE 4" lift, RE FTB, JK take offs w/ 255/75/17 BFG MT's, 1.25" wheel adapters, ARB Bumper, Superwinch LP10000, K&N intake, Flowmaster, custom JL & Focal stereo, 20% tint, KOR roof mount tire carrier, JCR sliders, cobra 75 wx st

Last edited by hondakilla98; 06-24-2013 at 08:29 AM..
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

they don't make 1.75" adapters however you should be good with the spidertrax 1.5" spacers they make or whatever.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
hondakilla98
1998 ZJ 

I ordered some adapters last night. Now im looking for a good deal on a set of rubicon take offs.
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
hondakilla98
1998 ZJ 

I just picked up a set with 2500 miles on them for $800. I figure this way I can rotate the spare as well and have five tires the same height to not mess with the nv249. My adapters should be here Thursday or Friday. I'll post pics when they are on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.