ZJ Quadra-Trac slips out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Quadra-Trac slips out

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-12-2003, 08:43 PM   #1
vngdh

ZJ Quadra-Trac slips out

When attempting to use the 4wd low on my mom's 95 ZJ v8 quadra-trac it slipped out into neutral twice. The tranny selector was firmly tugged into the slot.

Any thoughts on what kind of repair job this will take?

TIA
Dan

Mods: K&N GenII Ram Air, Helix Powertower

Future Mods: HID level I High & Low beam, Larger Rims (undecided), Kenne Bell Supercharger (screw-type) with water injection kit (to prevent pre-detonation).
vngdh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2003, 05:22 AM   #2
blackbelt
2008 JK Wrangler 

If your transfer case is fine otherwise, it might be something as simple as adjusting the linkage. My ZJ was a bit out of whack, i had to pull the lever almost to the neutral position to engage full time(select-trak). Adjustment took care of the problem.
2006 Scion xB
1987 VW Wolfsburg Cabriloet
1969 SAAB 96 V4
blackbelt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2003, 08:00 AM   #3
Howler

I assume you mean the Transfer case is jumping into neutral and not the transmision. If it is then it is probably the linkage. When you shift make sure you are moving at about 2 MPH (slight coast) and put the Trannny into neutral then shift really hard into 4 LO. The gears in the Tcase engage better when you are moving.
Howler
Unread 02-13-2003, 10:45 AM   #4
vngdh

Whopse! Yes Transfer case not the Tranny :eek:

Whopse! Yes Transfer case not the Tranny

Thanks for the thoughts. Ill try the 2mph slip and let you know if that worked, if not I may need some info on how to adjust the transfercase linkage.

PS Yes it seems to work fine in 4 HI

Dan

Mods: K&N GenII Ram Air, Helix Powertower

Future Mods: HID level I High & Low beam, Larger Rims (undecided), Kenne Bell Supercharger (screw-type) with water injection kit (to prevent pre-detonation).
vngdh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2003, 01:30 PM   #5
Camster

to get mine to go into LO i have to be moving slightly as well. make sure it's in neutral though.

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/davidpage/Camsjeep.html]My Jeep[/url]
Camster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2003, 02:02 PM   #6
Howler

Re: Whopse! Yes Transfer case not the Tranny :eek:

Quote:
Originally posted by vngdh
Whopse! Yes Transfer case not the Tranny
LOL We've all done that before.
As per the drivers manual you need to be moving about 2-5 MPH (not 100% sure on speed. I'm canadain and its bout 3-6 KMP ) or so. Shift transmision into neutral and firmly grab the transfer case shifter. Give a nice solid strong pull into 4 LO. You will/might hear grinding but that is normal. It is the gears aligning themselves.
Hope that helps
Howler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.