ZJ Purchase or run? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Purchase or run?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Fookn4x4
1995 ZJ 

ZJ Purchase or run?

New guy on campus here so any advice would be appreciated. I have a chance to buy a 1994 ZJ with 138k on it. Don't know the history of the ride but for $700 it's in really good shape. So question is, is it worth toying around with for $700 with a sputtering engine? The lady selling it let me take it home (wife works with her). Her husband died 1 year ago and it's been just sitting in her driveway ever since. Anyway, I drove it home and it hesitated the whole way. Running real rough but smooth at cruizing speed and would only chug when giving gas. Feels like missing at idle as well. Also noticed oil gauge around 20 at all engine speeds. I looked under dist. cap and saw white power-like corrosion on points and the tips were black so I used a wire brush to clean them and the rotor (which was also black) back to shiny metal. Still running rough. Also took intake tube off of intake and black residue inside of intake around throttle plate. Coolant was full and green and oil was clean. Please let me know what I should do or if these are just quick fixes with usual tune-up. Thanks in advance.

Fookn4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Exdecuk
1998 ZJ 

could just be bad gas or plugs

A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.
Exdecuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

going to depend on the real issue. if she'll let you poke around and run it for a few days maybe invest in swapping in some new plugs and some injector cleaner...check "the dirty dozen" if you haven't already.
Unread 04-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

If you were able to just pop the distributor cap off and clean the lugs then I assume it has the 6 cyl motor. Sounds like a good enough deal. I shouldn't take much to get her running in tip top shape. I paid 900 for mine with 156000 on the clock. Motor and trans were my biggest concerns but they have been flawless (I have the V8 though). Good luck with it if you get it and welcome to the club. Remember, the folks here are always ready to help providing you have used the search function first.
Rich93ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

I say jump on it. Do a good tune up on it and run some gas through it and go from there. Sounds like it might be a decent buy
Unread 04-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
Football47
1998 ZJ 

No brainer! Get it!
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
dozer951

I bought mine last month for 2k. It was doing the same thing you described and all I did was give it a tune up and adjust the idle. It runs great but mine has a transfercase leak, but a rebuilt kit should solve my issue. It would be a great deal if you jump on it
dozer951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
Fookn4x4
1995 ZJ 

Thanks for the advice everyone and the warm welcome. I am going to buy it tomorrow. Yes it is the I6. Should I be concerned about the oil pressure gauge reading a constant low pressure? I can't tell if it's the gauge but I have read a TON of posts today about all I can do to test almost everything on the Jeep. Looks like I will be cleaning or replacing sensors too. Are there previous posts that list best plugs, wires, dist. caps, rotors, belts, exhausts, etc.? Believe it or not I have a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder and I'm already liking the low costs for creating a lifted beast to toy around with on the weekends better than the Pathfinder. The GC will be my project. One last thing, should I run seafoam in oil, intake, tank and vacuum lines of the Jeep as I have been in my Pathfinder? I'm like a kid in a candy store on this site. Thanks again.

Last edited by Fookn4x4; 05-01-2013 at 06:15 AM..
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

it has an inline 6, not a v
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
Fookn4x4
1995 ZJ 

Yeah sorry I knew that. Just thinking about the engine in my Pathy while writing I guess.
Unread 05-01-2013, 12:46 AM   #11
Exdecuk
1998 ZJ 

Get FACTORY sensors only if you swap any out.

A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.
Exdecuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #12
Fookn4x4
1995 ZJ 

Mopar sensors?
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fookn4x4 View Post
Mopar sensors?
yes. Stealership is the place to get them. As far as I know at least

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.