ZJ problem with iro 4.5" lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ problem with iro 4.5" lift

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
MidCalZJ
1993 ZJ 

So basically the lift is putting me at ~6" of lift and IRO says they dont know why and theyll have to cut springs and send them out. I contacted somone more knowledgable, and he says i should try to return the springs and buy some from another brand because cut springs are not a good alternative. I am wondering if anyone has had similar experience with IRO springs, or has the 4.5 in lift and has no issues, as well as anyone who runs cut springs, how bad are they? Sorry, kind of new to jeeps and i am trying to find answers any way i can.

Temporary sawzall exhaust

Last edited by MidCalZJ; 10-16-2013 at 02:29 PM..
MidCalZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Wait, are you saying that IRO is going to cut some springs and send them to you? That is ridiculous. Maybe they sent you 5.5" springs by accident. Did you cheack the part number? Ask them to send another set of 4.5" coils. Cutting springs is freakin ghetto. I wouldn't settle for that.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
MidCalZJ
1993 ZJ 

Yes. They say that they use the same springs for the 4.5" and the 5.5" lifts. He said the spring rate would be a little stiffer, not really noticable, but kolak says it is a significant difference. I am worried i will regret it later in my build if i go with cut springs, but it is the only option IRO has presented. I am in a tough spot, I want the lift done right, but I also need it back on the road ASAP. I just cannot wrap my head around how these could be the right springs on any zj for 4.5" of lift, but IRO assures me they are.
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Assuming that you have not trimmed your fenders, do a hub to fender measurement.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Wow that is terrible business. So from what they told you they use the same springs for the 4.5" and the 5.5", but the 5.5" springs are stiffer? Am I understanding this right? New springs do have a break in period where they settle but I can't see them settling more than an .75" maybe which would put you at 5.25" right? Add a bumper and other stuff and it will probably settle a little more close to 4.5". My RE coils were certainly taller than 4.5" when I first put them on but by no means were they at 6" lol. They were nice riding springs too.

Also what he said/\
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
MidCalZJ
1993 ZJ 

I have
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
MidCalZJ
1993 ZJ 

Have taken tons of measurements, jeep is sitting at 24" hub to fender. I told this to iro and thats what he would be basing the cuts on. RE is the brand that i was suggested, he said he could possibly get them for me and i could return the iro springs. All of this is unfortunately eating up precious time that i dont have, i work full time and this is my daily driver. I emailed IRO saying i was weary of cut springs and asked for alternatives. Also asked how much i could return the springs for if nothing else. Am waiting for them to reply. Got the day off work so am trying to get it figured out if i can today.

Last edited by MidCalZJ; 10-16-2013 at 02:31 PM..
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Stock is around 18" give or take. My stock height was a bit above 18", like 18.25". I still don't know how this can be except for the fact that they gave you the wrong springs. Maybe they had a stiffer batch come out and didn't know it. There really is no other explanation.
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
MidCalZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Wow that is terrible business. So from what they told you they use the same springs for the 4.5" and the 5.5", but the 5.5" springs are stiffer? Am I understanding this right? New springs do have a break in period where they settle but I can't see them settling more than an .75" maybe which would put you at 5.25" right? Add a bumper and other stuff and it will probably settle a little more close to 4.5". My RE coils were certainly taller than 4.5" when I first put them on but by no means were they at 6" lol. They were nice riding springs too.

Also what he said/\
No, he said if he cut them they would be a little stiffer. He said its the exact same spring for 4.5 and 5.5 " lifts, which i just cant understand.
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

It sounds about right for a new set of springs that have never had the chance to settle. All my lifts have sat a bit high at first, RE and IRO coils.

I'd also double check they are seated properly on the perch and the isolator on top.
Unread 10-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
MidCalZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
It sounds about right for a new set of springs that have never had the chance to settle. All my lifts have sat a bit high at first, RE and IRO coils.

I'd also double check they are seated properly on the perch and the isolator on top.
I thought that was the case too, but its just too far off. The springs are seated fine, but the rear axle is being pulled off center because the track bar is too short. The front has an adjustable tb or it would be off aswell. I have driven it a bit and i dont see them settling another 1.5 in.
Unread 10-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidCalZJ View Post
No, he said if he cut them they would be a little stiffer. He said its the exact same spring for 4.5 and 5.5 " lifts, which i just cant understand.
Wild speculation ahead:

IRO probably doesn't make their own springs in-house, and instead farms production out to a dedicated spring manufacturer. It's way, way cheaper to have one line of springs in production rather than two, so it's possible that IRO has them only make the 5.5" springs as "blanks" and then has them remove the bottom few coils to make the 4.5" version (less lift, slightly stiffer overall spring). So, in essence, they're made of the same thickness of spring steel but one spring is cut shorter.

But as I said, total speculation there.
Unread 10-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidCalZJ View Post
Have taken tons of measurements, jeep is sitting at 24" hub to fender. I told this to iro and thats what he would be basing the cuts on. RE is the brand that kolak suggested, he said he could possibly get them for me and i could return the iro springs. All of this is unfortunately eating up precious time that i dont have, i work full time and this is my daily driver. I emailed IRO saying i was weary of cut springs and asked for alternatives. Also asked how much i could return the springs for if nothing else. Am waiting for them to reply. Got the day off work so am trying to get it figured out if i can today.
I just went out front and measured my ZJ with IRO 3.5" lift, center of the chrome center cap on my wheels which would be center of hub to fender is 22.5", so 24" for the 4.5" seems about right going off of that Id say. My lift has been on for over 2 years so it may or may not have settled very slightly to where its at now.

edit: Actually just measured again to make sure and I got 22.75 on drivers side and 22.5 on passenger side hub center to bottom of fender edge in front.
98GCLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #14
MidCalZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98GCLimited View Post

I just went out front and measured my ZJ with IRO 3.5" lift, center of the chrome center cap on my wheels which would be center of hub to fender is 22.5", so 24" for the 4.5" seems about right going off of that Id say. My lift has been on for over 2 years so it may or may not have settled very slightly to where its at now.

edit: Actually just measured again to make sure and I got 22.75 on drivers side and 22.5 on passenger side hub center to bottom of fender edge in front.
Well i would be fine leaving it as is and seeing if it settles if the axle were centered and it wasnt such extreme angle on the Ca's. It is not safe sitting so high with factory Ca's and i cant imagine they would build a kit meant to sit like this.
Unread 10-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #15
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

4.5" wasn't meant to go on factory control arms either, at that height the difference in angle is marginal. As for the trackbar, if you adjust it out a bit more then it will re-center the axle.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.