ZJ Power Steering Pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Power Steering Pump

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 01-17-2006, 10:08 PM   #1
96ZJ

ZJ Power Steering Pump

Alright, I have a 96 ZJ and I blew the steering pump going to the detroit auto show. Going to look at the new Jeeps.

Took it to Midas and they want just under $500 for this:

New Pump and Install
New Serpentine Belt and Install
"Flush and Fill" Power steering package

Is this right, cause it seems high to me, I forgot to ask how much they charged for labor, but being in Flint, at school, without a garage means I am not doing it myself, any other time, I would, but its F-ing cold here.

If I did do it myself, how long would it take me, and how do I make sure to align the pulley right. Keep in mind I am a certified welder, and can do pretty much anything, but power steering is not something I have had to deal with besides replacing a line in my CJ.

Thanks guys, in advance.

Unread 01-17-2006, 10:19 PM   #2
FatAlbert
1999 WJ 

I got a new pump and new fluid for 200 bucks installed by a local mechanic this summer.
Unread 01-17-2006, 10:21 PM   #3
vallesj

I don't think it is difficult to change it... I changed mine on aprox 1-2 hour..., there are just,
1.- take out the belt
2.- take out 3 bolts from the old pump,
3.- remove 2 house

and then reversal.

just take it with appropiate cloths and gloves for the weather.
vallesj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2006, 10:21 PM   #4
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Mine Blew up (literally) a few months ago and the total for tow and replace pump, belt, ... was under $500 from a trusted mechanic - I think it was $429 all told. Here's my tale of woe

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthrea...power+steering
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2006, 10:35 PM   #5
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Your replacement pump comes in a couple configurations. The first thing you have to determine is if you have the variable steering assist. This is fairly easy to do. Look at the top of the unit for a solenoid with an electrical wire connected to it. If it doesn't have the solenoid, the replacement unit will cost a bit less. Additionally, regardless of the type of pump, you can buy it with or without the reservoir. If you buy it without, it'll save you some more money. Simply transfer the reservoir from the old pump to the new. You didn't say if you have the 5.2 or the 4.0, but the 5.2 has a self adjusting belt tensioner. This makes removing and replacing the belt about a 3 minute job. The only tool being a breaker bar. I wouldn't spend a penny on a flush and fill anywhere. If they are being paid to replace the pump, they should fill it up and bleed it as part of the installation. Nothing more should be required. The job is definitely one that can be done (even outside in the cold) yourself. It just depends on how much money you have to give to someone else (how much is your comfort worth?).
Finally, a rebuilt pump costs a lot less than a new pump, and will give years of service too.

HTH
Unread 01-17-2006, 10:46 PM   #6
Phil Gerard
Former Mod

1995 ZJ 

Removing the pulley without destroying it is the difficult part of he job. You need a tool for the job or you can buy a new pulley too.

Phil
TW DC DS; ARB Bull Bar, F&R Air Lockers; Superior Axles; Warn Winch; 4.56 gears; ACOS, Addco F&R Sw Bar, JKS Discos, Rr Track Bar & Nerfs, 249>242 Swap, Stillen rotors+Kolak pads, 3 pc. Armor, RE 4.5 Kit + 2.5"BB, Adj. UCAs&LCAs, OME SS, Bilstein 5150s, 15x8 AR Diamond Backs, 33 Truxus MTs, K&N FIPK, RE 62mm TB, Perf. Distr. 4.0L Kit, Exhaust: 2.5" Kolak exhaust FM 70: Optima Yellow, Mean Grn Alt., PIAA 520s, 540s, Kevins Rack, & TB Conversion
Phil Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2006, 02:57 PM   #7
96ZJ

Thanks guys, once I get the parts I think I might do it myself, since it will be in the Midas parking lot, if I decide its do F-ing cold, i can say "You finish it" I cant drive it far since the shaft actually blew out and I have no belt, so I can't bring it back to school to fix it here. Anyone know off hand how much power steering fluid this will need...I can't remember, but I can always check my manual...problem with that is, its in my truck, so if a friend drops me off, i'll still need to go out, buy fluid and put it in before i can drive the truck.
Unread 01-18-2006, 07:07 PM   #8
96ZJ

Anyone know if a 95 ZJ belt will fit a 96? Both have the same powertrain, but I know the 95-96 model years changed.
Unread 01-19-2006, 11:18 AM   #9
TJH61484

I dont think the belt will interchange, I could be wrong but I was amazed at the few things that would interchange from a 93-95 to a 96-98. Also I think I paid around $275 just for my pump instaled. But when they were done they borke the high preasure line, and the box still leaked. Gotta love the ZJ.
5spd
Green
Stock
TJH61484 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.