Zj passenger floor wet / not ac / not sunroof - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 01-23-2016, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Jeepmanchris
1998 ZJ 

Zj passenger floor wet / not ac / not sunroof

What's up guys I'm new here. Been searching a while , I got around to tearing out my headliner to re fabric it including the sun roof visor. While I'm here I wanted to fix a water leak I've been having. I noticed both driver and passenger carpets were wet so I peeled them back and man are they soaked , I got a lot of water to come out of the carpet/padding. I fixed my drivers side windshield leak that I was aware of and sealed the roof rack screws while I had the headliner out. I did a water test today after sealing the drivers side windshield that was leaking along with sealed up the roof rack screws with silicone. I have the carpet pulled back on both sides , I ran the a/c for a while while driving and while letting it sit , it was about 60 degrees out today so I didn't see any water draining from the a/c while parked, checked the ac drain inside and there was no water leaking from it at all nor was that padding wet at all around the drain. So I took my hose and let it run on top of my sun roof down the windshield and went inside. I came back out after about 15 minutes and checked the drivers side it was still dry on the floorboard and no sign of leaks from rack screws or sunroof drains. On the other hand I checked the passenger side and the sunroof had started to slowly drip out of one corner , and I looked down and wow there's a inch of water on my floor board now. The water was coming from higher up than the ac drain , looks like from the lower right side of windshield area , possibly near the firewall / engine cowl area ? I didn't have time to tear that off. Has anyone found a leak under that cowl ? I will be taking it off soon. Any help is appreciated , thanks 😎

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-23-2016, 10:27 PM
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

I havent gone that far, but i have had leaks on my 5.9.. Leaky a/c then leaky door seal, then leaky roof rack screw..

Uhg lol

Hope you find it, because i didnt know i had a door leak, i had like an inch of water on the passenger side floor board but it didnt smell nor get the carpet wet thanks to the plastic glued on the carpet.. And it ate a hole and pitted my frame in my rust free 5.9, had to cut, clean the metal and weld a new peice of metal in there and then jb weld it and paint and undercoat it..

Hope you find yours, i know tearing the seats and carpet and everything out is anoyying

2013 6.2 V8 Camaro SS 30k
98 5.9 V8 ZJ 180k
98 4.0 I6 ZJ 240k
90 5.9 SJ Grand Wagoneer 110k
post #3 of 21 Old 01-24-2016, 10:45 AM
muddypunk
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I would pull the cowl off and inspect the seam sealant along the fire wall. I had a similar issue in my XJ.

sent by my Arse because my hands are full.
post #4 of 21 Old 01-24-2016, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Jeepmanchris
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddypunk View Post
I would pull the cowl off and inspect the seam sealant along the fire wall. I had a similar issue in my XJ.

I'm going to pull it off soon. How do you get the wiper arms off it doesn't look like they can unfold fully because of the hood. Open or close they don't fold out so do you know how to take them off ?
post #5 of 21 Old 01-24-2016, 12:28 PM
muddypunk
1995 XJ Cherokee 

A flat head screw driver and on the windshield side of the wiper there will be a small clip that slides out about 3/8's of a inch then wiggle the wiper around until it comes off.

post #6 of 21 Old 01-24-2016, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Jeepmanchris
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddypunk View Post
A flat head screw driver and on the windshield side of the wiper there will be a small clip that slides out about 3/8's of a inch then wiggle the wiper around until it comes off.

To remove the whole arm correct ?
post #7 of 21 Old 01-24-2016, 02:45 PM
muddypunk
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Oh yeah for sure

post #8 of 21 Old 01-24-2016, 05:50 PM
neonhomer
1996 ZJ 

Something to keep in mind also. There are foam seals around the heater core tubes, evaporator core tubes, and the A/C drain. I had water coming in my ZJ when I would go out and play, and found these seals deteriorating. I ordered new ones from the dealer ($15 total for all three I think). I then pulled the dash (not really that hard), and then the airbox. Pulled the airbox apart, cleaned everything really good. Replaced the seals. (One side is adhesive to attach to air box. I put some RTV on the opposite side of the seal to help seal to the body. I replaced all the foam gaskets that connect all the ductwork. Reinstalled everything and it was all good.

I also took the opportunity to flush the frame rail where the a/c drain goes.

Hope this helps...

---------------
NeonHomer
Mid-Florida Jeep Club - Member
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0L/42RE/242 - Rebuilt motor w/ Comp cam (4/12), 3.5" Junkyard F>R lift, 31x10.5.x15 M/T's, Spartan Locked D44a, TC & tank skids, F&R adj trackbars, V8 steering arms
Galaxy DX99V CB, 102" SS Whip, Yaesu FT-2900R 2m, Larsen 1/4w mag mount, Sony HU, Massive 3way - F Door, Pioneer 3way - R Doors, MB Quart ONX304 Subs (x2), Lanzar 1600w amp.

"No Matter Where You Go... There You Are."
"Oh me oh my a lovely day is dawning. Oh what a joy I didn't wake up dead. So I can go to work and then resume my yawning, and get my sleep on site instead of in my bed" - Daria Morgendorffer (with my twist)
post #9 of 21 Old 01-24-2016, 06:16 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Just a tip on removing the wiper arms if you do. Make a mark/scratch on the shaft and underside of the arm to make sure they go back on the same shaft knurls. They aren't so easy to line up again as you would think and will be out of whack if not installed in the same place.

Here's where someones passenger floor water leak/flooding was caused by cracked sealant in front of the far passenger side cowl area. You may want to check yours.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/w.../#post14158956
post #10 of 21 Old 01-25-2016, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Jeepmanchris
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Just a tip on removing the wiper arms if you do. Make a mark/scratch on the shaft and underside of the arm to make sure they go back on the same shaft knurls. They aren't so easy to line up again as you would think and will be out of whack if not installed in the same place.

Here's where someones passenger floor water leak/flooding was caused by cracked sealant in front of the far passenger side cowl area. You may want to check yours.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/w.../#post14158956
Mine has the same cowl deteriorated sealant. I put some sealant on it but it still leaked during my hose water test I will pull the cowl today and check it out further. Thanks everyone
post #11 of 21 Old 01-25-2016, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Jeepmanchris
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonhomer View Post
Something to keep in mind also. There are foam seals around the heater core tubes, evaporator core tubes, and the A/C drain. I had water coming in my ZJ when I would go out and play, and found these seals deteriorating. I ordered new ones from the dealer ($15 total for all three I think). I then pulled the dash (not really that hard), and then the airbox. Pulled the airbox apart, cleaned everything really good. Replaced the seals. (One side is adhesive to attach to air box. I put some RTV on the opposite side of the seal to help seal to the body. I replaced all the foam gaskets that connect all the ductwork. Reinstalled everything and it was all good.

I also took the opportunity to flush the frame rail where the a/c drain goes.

Hope this helps...
I'm see if my cowl is the problem if not I guess I'll be opening the dash. I hate the dash pieces sometimes they are a pain in the *** and end up breaking half the clips lol.
post #12 of 21 Old 01-25-2016, 07:40 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepmanchris View Post
Mine has the same cowl deteriorated sealant. I put some sealant on it but it still leaked during my hose water test I will pull the cowl today and check it out further. Thanks everyone
YW and good move in installing new sealant. There's drains under the hood hinge area where they collapse. Make sure they aren't clogged with tree crap/dirt and saw another on here where it rusted clear through the firewall letting water inside.

Probably not a bad idea to remove the cowl to see if there's any kind of seal in there which could be leaking.

Not sure of how much of the dash you're going to take off but fair warning if you're planning on pulling the HVAC box back from the firewall it involves removing the heater core hoses and 134a recovery along with AC evac/recharge in disconnecting the evaporator tubes.

Know you said the leak is higher than the AC drain but just so you know what the drain seal looks like on the outside here's a write-up I did in routing the water clear out of the frame area through the outside wheel well. Good luck.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/a...te-up-3412082/
post #13 of 21 Old 01-26-2016, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Jeepmanchris
1998 ZJ 

Alright guys so I'm water free so far. I sealed up the windshield some more , sealed every screw near the sunroof. I took off the cowl and there was a lot of debris in the drains and near the screen to keep debris out of the air box intake. I cleared it all out and sealed up the areas that the sealant dried out. And blasted air and water through the drains and a lot of **** came out. After all that I water tested her .... I mean flooded that **** and there was no leak anymore. Wish I had pics , sorry guys.
post #14 of 21 Old 01-26-2016, 06:55 PM
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

its okm ive been there so i know what it looks like haha.. a big PITAAAA

2013 6.2 V8 Camaro SS 30k
98 5.9 V8 ZJ 180k
98 4.0 I6 ZJ 240k
90 5.9 SJ Grand Wagoneer 110k
post #15 of 21 Old 01-26-2016, 07:25 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Sounds like you did a bunch of work and glad you're leak free so far!

PS. I had leaks around my windshield seal on my old 93 XJ and ran a fine bead of HQ clear silicone around it which stopped all leaks. I happened to stop in an auto glass shop which was real good I've dealt with before asking about a new windshield seal install.

The guy praised my work and said he couldn't seal it any better. But he also pointed out it would cost a fortune in labor to remove that silicone since it prevents their seal adhesive they use from adhering. The silicone is still in good shape, can't hardly even see it, and still leak free after about 6-7 years. Hope you experience the same luck!

Tags
4x4 , leak , passenger , sunroof , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.