Zj not starting dash gauges not working!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Zj not starting dash gauges not working!!!!

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
tgordonjr
1998 ZJ 

Zj not starting dash gauges not working!!!!

It ran good all day I shut it off and about 20 mins later went to start and it wouldnt fire. It cranks ove but wont start. Its been 2 days and it still wont start I must have it running by monday or my job is in jeopardy becauseof having to show up late now. Ive tried starting fluid and that doesnt work my gauges on dash arent working either and the overhead display
Isnt working right either it doesnt show the info like not showing my average mpg just has two dashes where the numbers would be. I have no clue whats wrong and cant. Afford to take it to a shop. So I need your help. What could it be. Why did it work fine and 20. mins later it wont start and gauges dont work. Ecu?

tgordonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
jmonty0523
1997 ZJ 

When you turn the key to on position, all the lights at bottom of dash come on like normal? I had similar and the check engine light never came on.
The asd fuse under hood blew, rear o2 wires grounded out blowing fuse.
Check to see if fuse is good, small one in junction block
(o) )-o---) ) (o) )-o---) )______
jmonty0523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
tgordonjr
1998 ZJ 

I will check into that. And yes all lights come on as they normally would and no check engine light. But again the gauges are not working and over head display not showing anything. And stzrting fluid didnt work. Ive heard that it may be the ecu idk
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
jmonty0523
1997 ZJ 

normally when you cycle key the check engine light turns on for a few seconds then turns off. no codes will be present if its the fuse, just no light at all when you turn the key
(o) )-o---) ) (o) )-o---) )______
jmonty0523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Make sure that's coming on with the rest of the lights.
Check all under hood fuses.
This is likely a crank sensor issue if the cel isn't coming on at key on.
Run a gauge self test as well by holding in the trip reset button while turning the key on, off, on, off, on and releasing the button.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
tgordonjr
1998 ZJ 

Ok ill give it a try today
Unread 02-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
tgordonjr
1998 ZJ 

So I ran the self test on the gauges and the check gauges light comes on then go off with the rest of the warning lights. I did notice that the oil pressure gauge is moving just slighty but the voltage and gas gauge still are not.
Unread 02-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #8
tgordonjr
1998 ZJ 

Guy at the auto store said it sounds like the computer
Unread 02-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

if the gauges don't go through their self test then they are bad. the self test is completely independent of the pcm. it's run by the gauge cluster it's self.

you may have multiple issues going on. start checking the wiring. and determine what is not making it to the motor to prevent starting spark or fuel.

it's possible the bcm is out as that is what controls the interior functions. check the fuses everywhere for any bad ones. fuse 7 in the pdc is the feed for the bcm iirc.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgordonjr View Post
It ran good all day I shut it off and about 20 mins later went to start and it wouldnt fire. It cranks ove but wont start. Its been 2 days and it still wont start I must have it running by monday or my job is in jeopardy becauseof having to show up late now. Ive tried starting fluid and that doesnt work my gauges on dash arent working either and the overhead display
Isnt working right either it doesnt show the info like not showing my average mpg just has two dashes where the numbers would be. I have no clue whats wrong and cant. Afford to take it to a shop. So I need your help. What could it be. Why did it work fine and 20. mins later it wont start and gauges dont work. Ecu?
Mine did that the 02 sensor was pulled loose by a down tree well the wires where rubbed down till it was arching ig finally just rapped around the drive shaft everytime the drive shaft would barley move it would arch and blow the fuse to the pcm the check engine would not come on diagnostics could connect to the pcm no guages everything you have wrong now is what mine did i got the sensor " located on top of the tranny hard to get to but has been known to give similiar effects when gone bad" sorry had a brain fart couldn't think of the sensors name besides tracking all the wires down like i did check those couple of things first.also check the wiring harness to the pcm they are known to come loose and cause the same thing also
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedymcracer01 View Post

Mine did that the 02 sensor was pulled loose by a down tree well the wires where rubbed down till it was arching ig finally just rapped around the drive shaft everytime the drive shaft would barley move it would arch and blow the fuse to the pcm the check engine would not come on diagnostics could connect to the pcm no guages everything you have wrong now is what mine did i got the sensor " located on top of the tranny hard to get to but has been known to give similiar effects when gone bad" sorry had a brain fart couldn't think of the sensors name besides tracking all the wires down like i did check those couple of things first.also check the wiring harness to the pcm they are known to come loose and cause the same thing also
When you check the engine compartment fuse box the pcm fuse is not marked i had to tear mine out get the numbers off the bottom of the fuse box where the fuse is located and looked it up in the wiring diagrams the pcm fuse is one of the real small fuses
Unread 02-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #12
tgordonjr
1998 ZJ 

Ill check again hopefully I can find it the ecu isnt cheap if thats the cause. But it worked shut it off for 20 mins then didnt work. I really appreciate all the help from everyone and ill update asap. Thanks
Unread 03-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #13
tgordonjr
1998 ZJ 

Quick question for the guage self test. When I do the self test what is supposed to happen
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #14
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgordonjr View Post
Quick question for the guage self test. When I do the self test what is supposed to happen
when i activate mine i turn the ignition on.off.on.off.then back on with out turning the engine over your check engine light should come on it will flash count the flashes alright remember or wright the number of flashes down it will pause then start flashing again same thing count the flashes when it pauses again now put those two numbers together and thats the code it pulled just continue counting the flashes as you have been just remember when the last two times it starts to flash the next to last.will be 5 and the last one should be either5.put it togather you got 55 it just means the on board diagnostics you activated by turning your key on and off has finish its cycle and has no more codes to give ..but considering your check engine will not come.on this will not work a diagnostics computer will not be able to read it either you have a short,loose wires,or either the computer is gone or the cps could be bad either way your problem is in the computer, or the pdc in the engine department check the hot wire on the bottom of the pdc. the micro fuses inside the pdc one of those fuses power the computer mine didnt say wich one it was so if thier is a blown one its most likely it along with the computers connection a sensor directly linked to the.computer cps are known to do this but it should give a code if its just the sensor a bad cps should just kill power to the ignition system if the cps is bad it can't detect the crank position so the computer doesnt know if its turning or at what speed its rotating wich leads to the failure of the ignition system but...oh and by the way when mine did this the fuel pump would stay on until the.key was turned off it would not prime then shut off like it should it would just keep pumping and pumping replaced that fuse to the computer in the pdc it would stop after that my gauges worked and it fired up check engine light came back on with i would give codes and it connected to my laptop all that was from a naked o2 wire blowing the pcm fuse in the pdc three days of working on it and all it needed was some wires tapped up and a fuse replaced
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:24 AM   #15
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedymcracer01 View Post

When you check the engine compartment fuse box the pcm fuse is not marked i had to tear mine out get the numbers off the bottom of the fuse box where the fuse is located and looked it up in the wiring diagrams the pcm fuse is one of the real small fuses
And i do not have to hold the trip odometer reset button in to activate the obd2 never had to do it to any of my vehicles only one that had a trick to it was my cavalier or spectra hell i cant remember wich one it was now.. owell hope someone gets something useful off this thread

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.