ZJ no start has spark and fuel pressure - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ no start has spark and fuel pressure

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 02-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #16
Fisheadstew
1997 ZJ 

Mine ended up being the coil. I changed the cap and rotor first, pulled the fuel pump relay... same thing, cranked with no start.
Then changed out the coil, cranked and it sputtered and belched a few times. So I pulled the plugs which were of course soaked,
and ran for a new set.
Replaced the plugs and it started right off, put the fuel pump relay back in and the rest as they say is history
Started right up this morning ready for another 229k !

Thanks, Fish

Fisheadstew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #17
greentank
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Fish, glad to hear there is another jeep still on the road

as for mine the noise does not go away after it has warmed up. I just had it running for about an hour while i tried to figure out where the noise was with a stethoscope. so far no luck it does sound like it is louder from the bottom side of the engine. (of course everything is loud under the engine when its running) it doesn't seem to miss at an idle, but if you rev the engine, or try to drive it the engine is all over the place.

one other thing, after running it a few times i no longer need to hold the throttle open to get it to fire.
greentank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #18
SGTCornewell
2002 KJ Liberty 

if your having trouble tracking a noise, put a vacuum gauge on the engine. if its a valvetrain problem the needle will tick for you. if not, it will be steady. a good engine should read between 16-20 in of smooth vacuum on idle. i love my vacuum gauge
SGTCornewell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #19
Fisheadstew
1997 ZJ 

Be sure and check your oil for gas, mine was loaded... to the point I could light it!
Hope it's just a lifter *****ing about the thinned out oil.

Fish
Unread 02-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #20
SGTCornewell
2002 KJ Liberty 

this is more known with ford explorers but if your fuel pressure regulator blows out your fuel pump can pump your crank case full of gas through your vacuum lines.
SGTCornewell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #21
greentank
1998 TJ Wrangler 

for an update, i decided to 100% retrace my steps back to the crank sensor. I found that the flywheel had been hitting the flywheel. I'de say that the probability of that being the cause of the noise and maybe the misfire are pretty good. going to cross my fingers, go out in the snowstorm and venture to the dealership to get a factory replacement crank sensor.
Unread 02-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #22
greentank
1998 TJ Wrangler 

OK so as a final conclusion. The original problem apparently was the Crank Position Sensor. I used an after-market CPS that was not a good fit. The noise, and misfire that I was experiencing was due to it rubbing the flywheel. I found that the dealer didn't have one in stock so i exchanged the bad one for another the same brand, and all is well. So If anyone ever ends up with a miss/ noise after using a after-market CPS check that first you may save yourself a lot of time.
Unread 02-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #23
Fisheadstew
1997 ZJ 

Great news, glad it wasn't more serious.
What was the brand of the defective unit?

Fish
Unread 02-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #24
greentank
1998 TJ Wrangler 

it was a Borg Warner, which Is actually a very reliable brand in my past experience. I guess everyone puts out a bad one here and there. Like I said I couldn't get on from the dealer so i tried another BW and it worked.

thanks everyone for the help.

Tags
cps , ignition , no start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.