Zj no crank no start - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Zj no crank no start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #16
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Quick Cable Fusion

git ye sum
dem do look like real good'uns!

So do you buy direct from them or are they available retail somewhere else? And what size would you buy that fits 2 wires like our cables? Thanks!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #17
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post

dem do look like real good'uns!

So do you buy direct from them or are they available retail somewhere else? And what size would you buy that fits 2 wires like our cables? Thanks!
I ordered my lugs from here since they have no minimum order -

http://www.delcity.net/store/Fusion-...-Lugs/p_804211

But I guess you're looking at the terminal clamps themselves

http://www.delcity.net/store/Straigh...inals/p_804069

They arrived in about 5 days, including a weekend (pretty fast!)

I got 4 of the 4-6 gauge lugs and did each cable individually. If you plan on joining two stock cables into one lug/terminal you'll want the 1/0 gauge, and if you opt for lugs be sure to get the right lug size to fit the bolt it will attach to, for example my military terminals were 3/8". And be aware that the positive and neg terminals are different if you didn't know already :-)
Here's a pic of mine, finished-
http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7bd89609.jpg
Though it's less blurry in real life lol

ZJ FSM
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Fk&usp=sharing
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #18
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNicholson View Post
I ordered my lugs from here since they have no minimum order -

http://www.delcity.net/store/Fusion-...-Lugs/p_804211

But I guess you're looking at the terminal clamps themselves

http://www.delcity.net/store/Straigh...inals/p_804069

They arrived in about 5 days, including a weekend (pretty fast!)

I got 4 of the 4-6 gauge lugs and did each cable individually. If you plan on joining two stock cables into one lug/terminal you'll want the 1/0 gauge, and if you opt for lugs be sure to get the right lug size to fit the bolt it will attach to, for example my military terminals were 3/8". And be aware that the positive and neg terminals are different if you didn't know already :-)
Here's a pic of mine, finished-
http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7bd89609.jpg
Though it's less blurry in real life lol

ZJ FSM
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Fk&usp=sharing
Thanks for all the links/info JeepNicholson and you have a great looking terminal setup! Pretty evident you ran new/larger gauge cable and like those military style terminals.

So if I just used the existing/OE cables with the straight battery terminals I'd just order a 1/0 pos and a 1/0 neg straight terminal while the 2 cables in each would fit? Pretty nice all their lugs/terminals are pre-loaded with flux/solder. Thanks again!

Unread 08-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #19
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Yep, two 6 gauge cables should pack nicely into a 1/0 neck. Don't forget to put your heat shrink on the cable before you solder, and keep it far back from the ends while you solder, otherwise the cable will get warm enough to shrink it before it's in the right place.
Unread 08-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #20
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Real good point and where do you buy the HD heat shrink?

Unread 08-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #21
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Real good point and where do you buy the HD heat shrink?
The place I linked above has it, or Grainger, even Lowes might have it. Or any industrial electrical supply place (probably not Radio Shack though, they've got tubing but not heavy duty).
Unread 08-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #22
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
The place I linked above has it, or Grainger, even Lowes might have it. Or any industrial electrical supply place (probably not Radio Shack though, they've got tubing but not heavy duty).
Ok, thanks for the info!

Unread 08-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #23
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:

Ok, thanks for the info!
No problem, man.

If you're not taking the cables out first, be vigilant to keep the tip of that fire away from anything that will melt, hoses, wires, plastics!
Hmm what other tips can I think of... I didn't have a helper, so I put the lug open side up in some vise grips and set those on a cement paver so I didn't catch my bench on fire. Grabbed the cables with some channel locks (they'll get too hot for hands) and put the cable ends as far into they lugs as they would go, hit the lug and cable end with the torch until the flux bubbled, and pushed the cable in as far as it would go, which was 7/8" (but might be different for the terminal ends). Then I just held it for about 30 seconds to cool enough not to pull back apart. You'll have to wait like another five minutes for it to be cool enough to get the shrink tube over, oh and make sure your tube is large enough to get over the terminal neck, not just the wire!
Ok, well now I'm just starting to ramble....good luck, let us know how it turns out!
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #24
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
No problem, man.

If you're not taking the cables out first, be vigilant to keep the tip of that fire away from anything that will melt, hoses, wires, plastics!
Hmm what other tips can I think of... I didn't have a helper, so I put the lug open side up in some vise grips and set those on a cement paver so I didn't catch my bench on fire. Grabbed the cables with some channel locks (they'll get too hot for hands) and put the cable ends as far into they lugs as they would go, hit the lug and cable end with the torch until the flux bubbled, and pushed the cable in as far as it would go, which was 7/8" (but might be different for the terminal ends). Then I just held it for about 30 seconds to cool enough not to pull back apart. You'll have to wait like another five minutes for it to be cool enough to get the shrink tube over, oh and make sure your tube is large enough to get over the terminal neck, not just the wire!
Ok, well now I'm just starting to ramble....good luck, let us know how it turns out!
Yeah, when I soldered my crappy neg terminal on I was real careful where pointing the torch and put a board on the battery tray since didn't need any hot solder dripping/melting into the vacuum reservoir. In fact I even put my portable vise on the board to hold the hot terminal with vise-grips holding the cable to it.

May not get to it right away but will let you know how it goes!

Unread 08-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #25
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

the shrink tubing with sealant inside is the ticket. this may be what y'all mean by heavy duty...
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #26
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
the shrink tubing with sealant inside is the ticket. this may be what y'all mean by heavy duty...
Yessir, adhesive lined double wall

Just for kicks, here is what battery terminals shouldn't look like, and are probably why mine used to turn over 5 or 6 times before starting.
http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3c38424e.jpg
Now it turns over one time, every time!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.