ZJ Mirror Relocation Ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Mirror Relocation Ideas

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
RussMan

ZJ Mirror Relocation Ideas

I'm thinking about trying to make some relocated mirrors for my ZJ so cops won't bother me when I take my doors off. I was wondering if anyone here has done this or has any ideas. I looked around here and on Google and can't find anything about it.

If I have to make them myself then I was looking at this style mirror off eBay here is the link to the drivers side mirror.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-M...#ht_2982wt_958

Its cheap and it looks like it would be easy to use, maybe bolt it onto some kind of bracket. The real challenge is actually connecting the whole thing to my Jeep. I don't want to modify my Jeep very much along the lines of drilling holes or cutting. Also I don't want them permanently attached. I only want them when my doors are off. Another idea I had was welding some kind of a mount holding the mirror to a shop clamp like the one in the picture. Do you think this could actually work?? Would it be strong enough?

What are your ideas??

Thanks

clamp.jpg

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
RussMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
airwolf9090
1996 ZJ 

I was just thinking about this when i was riding doorless today tho from what a local cop told me its legal here to have no side view mirrors. But i am gonna try to find some motorcycle mirrors with clamps and clamp it to the A pillar.
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP-...item588fba46ac
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

How about just using mirrors from a Wrangler.
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugulis View Post
How about just using mirrors from a Wrangler.
my buddy had a set lying around that we were holding up on the side to see what they looked like. not bad at all. i;d definitely do that if i was going doorless.

sorry no pics
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
RussMan

I like the Wrangler mirror idea, but how would I connect them to my Jeep?

Unread 09-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

screw the bracket right to the front fender in front of the door
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
RussMan

I will probably try that it seems easy enough. haha, but before I do are there any more ideas? And does any one have pictures of a door-less ZJ they are kind of hard to find. Thanks

Unread 09-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #9
RussMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf9090 View Post
I was just thinking about this when i was riding doorless today tho from what a local cop told me its legal here to have no side view mirrors. But i am gonna try to find some motorcycle mirrors with clamps and clamp it to the A pillar.
You live in Georgia? So its legal without mirrors here? I'm still going to try to find some though.

Unread 09-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

why not make a metal plate that bolts on, where the two bolts hold the upper hinges, then you can weld on that or just make the plate kind of long in a downward or upward direction or both and drill some holes in to to bolt a mirror to it.

I would try to find some of those truck mirrors that fold inward and then if you go trailing fold them in so you don't bust them off.

Edit: or just unbolt them when you hit the trails.

Phit
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #11
95ZeeJay
2005 LJ Wrangler 

hmmm....wonder if someone could come up with something that fits into the door hinges? I like the clamp-on idea, but I have a roll cage in mine I'd attach them to instead of the a-pillar.

Haven't had any police issues driving without side mirrors yet, but I'd like to find something small to aid in crawlin'

here's a pic of my Jeep, BTW
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77...1/DSCN1765.jpg
52 Willys CJ3a: stock-ish (his)**95 ZJ Laredo 4.0: removable doors, longarm, 8.8 rear, leaks, squeaks, dents, dings, etc (ours)**03 TJ Rubicon: longarm, body lift, 33" Duratracs- SOLD**05 LJ Rubicon: stock (MINE!)
95ZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #12
RussMan

That looks cool I think i'm going to take mine off for the week end because the weather looks good. Maybe even hit the trails.

Unread 09-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #13
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i'm surprised you didn't get hassled for having the doors off. it's illegal pretty much everywhere except colorado. as colorado's only vehicle laws seem to involve speeding and application of snow chains.

afaik any vehicle that's doors are intended as significant structural members in a side impact may not have them removed for travel on road. which is basically every vehicle besides cj's, wranglers, sammi's, amigos, etc, all have the high rockers that are the structural member and were intended to be doorless from the factory and are therefore legal to drive doorless in most states.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #14
95ZeeJay
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I've got a full cage inside and rock sliders on the bottom. I don't think mine's gonna fold in half in a collision 'cuz the doors are off, but I don't really wanna find out, LOL
52 Willys CJ3a: stock-ish (his)**95 ZJ Laredo 4.0: removable doors, longarm, 8.8 rear, leaks, squeaks, dents, dings, etc (ours)**03 TJ Rubicon: longarm, body lift, 33" Duratracs- SOLD**05 LJ Rubicon: stock (MINE!)
95ZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 02:38 AM   #15
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95ZeeJay View Post
I've got a full cage inside and rock sliders on the bottom. I don't think mine's gonna fold in half in a collision 'cuz the doors are off, but I don't really wanna find out, LOL
i don't think who ever is writing the ticket or impounding your vehicles cares.

i guess off road you can do what ever you want to your jeep, and i am not trying to be rude or anything, but i really don't understand doorless (other than wranglers ect) on the street, it just looks like you took the door off going backwards into a mailbox, rather trashy.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.