ZJ with mind of it's own, Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ with mind of it's own, Help!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 09-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
ChrisH1964
1997 ZJ 

ZJ with mind of it's own, Help!

I started this in the wrong forum I guess, so let's try this again. I own a 1997 ZJ grand cherokee lareado. The vehicle has aquired a mind of it's own. Today, out of nowhere, the vehicle started itself. Me and the key where in the house. The A/C was on, the parking lights where on, but the switches where off. I had to take the intake tube off to choke out the motor to get it to turn off. Started it with the key, and tried to turn it off again, but it still continued to run after taking the key out. Finally disconnected the battery to reset everything, and it seems to be back to normal for now. It doesn't have a remote start that I know of, and has a factory alarm installed. This happened one other time so far, when I changed the battery. When I hooked up the battery, it just started up. Anyone ever seen this before? Is this an ECU problem, or should I be looking elsewhere?

ChrisH1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
Mike Cooper
1998 ZJ 

sounds wierd, I would think its a starter issue, or electrical, not computer. But I am not an expert. As far as I know, computers dont have anything to do with sarting vehicles, just tells them how to run when they are already running. Only thing I could think is you have a short in your starter or ignition, causing it to engage. If your bringing it somewhere, I would get them to check and see if there is some sort of remote starter left in it from a previous owner, I know those things can cause headaches as they get older(more the cheap ones).
SOLD: 1998 5.9 Grand cherokee: Suspension: 3.5" IRO Lift, JKS Rear Track Bar & Quick Discos, IRO Double shear front track bar, Black Diamond Shocks,33X12.5 BFG Muds, ARB Front Bumper, Home made Rock Sliders, 242 Swap
New Toy:
2007 Wrangler Unlimited. 2" BB, 1 1/2" wheel spacers, 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracks.
Mike Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Does the starter stop cranking after it fires up ?
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 06:51 AM   #4
ChrisH1964
1997 ZJ 

Yes, the starter kicks out like normal after the truck starts. It's strange, it's just like someone is sitting in the car, starting it like normal.
To expand on the first time it did it hooking up the battery, it wasn't instantanious. I put the cable on, then a second or so later, I heard a relay click, then the starter engaged and started the vehicle. I put the key in it and put it to the run position, then back to off. It had no effect at all. The only way to turn the vehicle off when it happens is to suffocate the motor at the throttle body as the ignition switch has no effect.
One other thing that has happened that may or may not be related is the alarm. My son had the truck at work the other day, and the batteries had died in the remote. He used the key to open the door, and the alarm went off. He put the key in the ignition tp try and get it to turn off, and the vehicle would not start, (as expected), but the alarm wouldn't turn off still. Tried it again, and the vehicle started, but the alarm still would not stop wailing. Put a new set of batteries in it finally, and that turned off the alarm.
Well, I hope someone has seen something like this before, because I'm at a loss.
Unread 09-06-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
Mike Cooper
1998 ZJ 

is it the factory alarm, or aftermarket. The aftermarket ones usually have an ignition kill, perhaps thats causing a problem?
SOLD: 1998 5.9 Grand cherokee: Suspension: 3.5" IRO Lift, JKS Rear Track Bar & Quick Discos, IRO Double shear front track bar, Black Diamond Shocks,33X12.5 BFG Muds, ARB Front Bumper, Home made Rock Sliders, 242 Swap
New Toy:
2007 Wrangler Unlimited. 2" BB, 1 1/2" wheel spacers, 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracks.
Mike Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
ChrisH1964
1997 ZJ 

Factory from what I can tell
Unread 09-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #7
Windowsrookie
2000 WJ 

It started itself? It knew once it was running to shut off the starter? That's one talented Jeep.
Unread 09-06-2008, 06:02 PM   #8
Gibby913
1997 ZJ 

Haunted ZJ ?

How much do you want for her? I love ZJ's and I got her sister in my driveway. 1997 ZJ Laredo 4.0L Straight 6. She'll have a real good home. Lemme know prices
Gibby913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #9
vp6799
1996 ZJ 

How long have you owned it for? It might be an aftermarket remote start that's going haywire. Some remote starts can be incorporated into the vehicle using the factory remote. You won't know it's there unless you start looking under the dash.

Next time it happens try getting in it and pressing the brake pedal with no key in the ignition. That's usually the shut-down for remote starts.

I'd def start looking under the dash for one, even if the brake pedal thing doesn't work.

Vic
vp6799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #10
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Yep , sounds like there has to be a remote start installed.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #11
vp6799
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH1964 View Post
This happened one other time so far, when I changed the battery. When I hooked up the battery, it just started up. Anyone ever seen this before? Is this an ECU problem, or should I be looking elsewhere?
I just re-read the original post. The number one give away of the remote start is your battery comment.

Some cheaper remote starts will do some sort of reset and will have to be reprogrammed whenever the battery is disconnected.

Def get under that dash board and look around. Get all the way up there by removing the lower panel that's directly under the steering column. Those types of remote starts are usually small, so look good.

Another way to try it, is to start pressing buttons on the remote and see if anything happens. Usually it's pressing the lock or unlock button 2 or 3 times. Or holding them down for 3 seconds.

"BUT" if it needs to be reprogrammed, the button test might not work. So if it doesn't work, get under there and start looking.

Vic
vp6799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2008, 08:31 AM   #12
ChrisH1964
1997 ZJ 

Well, looked under the dash today, and found that someone had wired something in. There is a small switch, inline fuse, and wires spliced into the factory wiring. Didn't have time to dig into it yet, but I guess we will see.
Unread 09-08-2008, 09:25 AM   #13
JoshuaDHarp
1997 ZJ 

Just pull the wires out.
JoshuaDHarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2008, 12:36 PM   #14
ISUzj
2005 WK 

Skynet has become SELF-AWARE!!! Run for your lives!!!!

I had this happen once and it was also a jump under the dash, quite a mess but I pulled one wire and that solved it, not very technical but that's how it worked.
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 09:53 PM   #15
vp6799
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH1964 View Post
Well, looked under the dash today, and found that someone had wired something in. There is a small switch, inline fuse, and wires spliced into the factory wiring. Didn't have time to dig into it yet, but I guess we will see.
Don't Just pull the wires out!!!

Follow them from the remote start brain up to the ignition harness to see the connections.

Some remote start systems require that you cut the starter, accessory, and ignition wires to wire it in. Look at the connections to see if the remote start wire is spliced in. If it's not, then you will have to look at the rest of the wiring to get the other half and connect it back up like factory.

Here's 2 really cheap examples of what i'm talking about. I just picked some wire colors, so don't go by those.

Example 1 is the cut wires that you would have to connect back together after removing the remote start.

The other is the remote start wires just spliced in to the jeeps harness. you would just disconnect the remote start wires in this situation.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.