ZJ LP30 pinion angle questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ LP30 pinion angle questions

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 03-20-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
rustynail
1996 ZJ 

ZJ LP30 pinion angle questions

I'm playing around with my control arm lengths today and darn near eliminated all vibrations by pointing the front pinion parallel with the driveshaft. It seems to steer ok but what is the right thing to do? Do I point the pinion parallel with the driveshaft or slightly down and if so how much?

Will this angle cause lubrication problems?
My front trackbar appears to be rubbing at the diff end a bit, does this matter?

I'm at 4.5 inches running the 249 with a u-joint front driveshaft.

rustynail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
1sportsdoc
2010 JK Wrangler 

They say that pinion angle is more important than caster, but at 4.5" with the pinion turned up that much, you probably don't have much caster at all. How do the coils look from the side, are they bowed/arced too much? Pointing the pinion parrallel with the DS is okay when you have a double carden at the other end. What size tires are you running? I'd be surprised to find that you're able to run 33's or larger without death wobble in your current setup.
Unread 03-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
rustynail
1996 ZJ 

The coils are somewhat bowed from the side, is this OK? I am on 33's and I have yet to ever experience this infamous death wobble but from what I hear, I don't want to. I do have the double carden at the tc end as well. So will I have lubrication problems if I run it this way? If I should lower the pinion a bit, how much in relation to the driveshaft?
Unread 03-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
rustynail
1996 ZJ 

Anyone else have any opinions on this
Unread 03-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
ajmorell

It shouldn't cause you any issues. If you haven't noticed any handling issues since you adjusted them I would leave them as is. Sometimes lack of castor can cause issues with handling like the steering not returning to center or wandering.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.