zj Long arm lift - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > zj Long arm lift

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 07-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #16
96zj1987
1996 ZJ 

Grabbing my front row seat and popcorn!

96zj1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #17
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96zj1987 View Post
Grabbing my front row seat and popcorn!
Why not go wheeling instead?
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #18
96zj1987
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead
Why not go wheeling instead?
No time between work and work
96zj1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #19
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Having helped install an IRO kit, and owning a Clayton kit, I prefer the adjustability of the Clayton kit, and love the ride.

Any longarm kit is going to improve the ride by an order of magnitude. It all comes down to your preference.

I wish there was more UCA adjustability on the IRO kit, and I don't care much for their cam adjuster. Have I seen or heard of one failing? No. I've always been concerned about the bolt on aspect of the IRO kit, but it can be fixed with a welder.

RE has great springs and shocks. I can't say I would want to run their LA kit though. It does seem plenty strong, but I truly feel my Claytons will outlast it.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #20
DeansWings
1996 ZJ 

Is the strength of the arm relevant? Does it matter if Clayton's are stronger if IRO is strong enough? I've never heard of either brand breaking. I personally plan on getting the clayton rear arms because I don't want the 5 link and I like the idea of stiffeners. I don't see the fine print in IRO's warranty. They say they replace damaged control arms no matter what the cause, and they replace everything so long as it is being used for it's intended use. But for the OP, the front arms that come with the 4.5" kit are awesome, in my opinion. I've heard GREAT things about Clayton's as well.

'06 WK 3.7 2wd stock as a rock.

The Build:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/96-zj-build-1262449/[/url]

North Texas Grands:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f348/north-texas-grands-1323367/[/url]

Youtube wheeling vids (mostly from Bridgeport):
[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeanswings?feature=guide[/url]

Grand Slam Texas!:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/grand-slam-texas-1419143/index19.html[/url]
DeansWings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #21
Cameleer
1998 ZJ 

There is no best system, a lot will depend on how you plan on using your jeep.
I have seen people taking the best parts from the different systems and putting together what will work best for them.

I have the Rubicon Express 4.5" Long Arm Suspension System and thought for as many years these have been on the market that all the problems would have been worked out.
Sadly that's not the case, first off the rear UCA's where hitting the sway bar and needed to be bent. The guys at RE said this was the first time they heard about this.

Two weeks ago I ran into someone with the same lift who found the same UCA problem and reported it to RE over 2 years ago.

They say 32" tires will fit without trimming, I had to trim 2" off the front bumper cover.

The front bump stops it comes with are 2", you need 4".

Their rear shocks made my ZJ ride rougher that my 2000 Dodge 3500 cummins 4x4 dually, I replaced both front and rear shocks and now have a very smooth ride.

They do have very good springs!! and will give you a nice ride with a few changes.
Unread 07-07-2012, 02:52 AM   #22
Kur
1998 ZJ 

All three of the kits, Claytons, IRO, and RE will cost you about the same price.

Claytons however doesn't come with shocks and will require you to have it professionally installed UNLESS you are an experienced welder capable of welding very thick plate to very thin chassis. This install price can be around $1000. So just to get down the road the claytons kit is going to be almost $5k. But for the price you do get chassis stiffeners, which is a good thing on a ZJ. Also you should probably work on making sure you have the rear axle you are going to keep on the jeep for a while because it will be welded in.

IRO is a great kit. Lack of adjustability in the front control arms and sketchy shocks (unless you get the upgrade options for more money) are some downfalls.

RE is also a great kit. Adjustable control arms, ridiculous amounts of bolts attaching subframe assemblies to the framerails, Their own brand of shocks (i don't know who makes it for them)

I ended up choosing RE because I liked the subframe assemblies more than the IRO ones, and I couldn't afford to have a claytons kits installed.

The great thing about any of these kits is that you can order JUST the long arm upgrades. I actually got the RE long arm upgrade and pieced the rest together from other manufacturers. Came out to about the same price overall but I got better parts, bilstein shocks, and a taller lift.

Don't let Cameleer scare you off the RE kit. Granted it is not perfect. The installation instructions are terrible, some of my bolts were switched out for the wrong kind.. But any long arm kit in the back of a ZJ is going to whack the rear sway bar at 4.5 inches of lift. Unless of course your rear control arm mounts are mounted lower to specifically clear the sway bar, but now you are sacrificing ground clearance. But if you get taller springs like I did, it really isn't an issue.
Kur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #23
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansWings View Post
Is the strength of the arm relevant?
In a word, YES. Get out there and do some wheeling and you will learn why.
Unread 07-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #24
DeansWings
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
In a word, YES. Get out there and do some wheeling and you will learn why.
I wheel pretty often, and have banged my control arms enough to where I'm confident they are not a weak point. All I was getting at was I've never heard of either brand of long arm failing.

If you have an experience you'd like to share, while I'm not sure why it wouldn't have come up by now, I'd love to hear it and I could base future opinions on your tale.

Horrible answer, by the way. Like as soon as I get on a dirt road I exclaim "curse you technohead you were right! If only I would've listened!" I probably just jinxed myself though, so when I do break you're not allowed to laugh

The Build:

North Texas Grands:

Grand Slam Texas!:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/grand-slam-texas-1419143/index19.html[/url]
Unread 07-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #25
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansWings View Post
I wheel pretty often, and have banged my control arms enough to where I'm confident they are not a weak point. All I was getting at was I've never heard of either brand of long arm failing.

If you have an experience you'd like to share, while I'm not sure why it wouldn't have come up by now, I'd love to hear it and I could base future opinions on your tale.

Horrible answer, by the way. Like as soon as I get on a dirt road I exclaim "curse you technohead you were right! If only I would've listened!" I probably just jinxed myself though, so when I do break you're not allowed to laugh

Of course it depends on the terrain. Here in New England we wheel on granite boulders and control arms take a brutal beating. As do brackets, shock mounts, and whatever else is exposed.
Unread 07-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #26
BigDaveZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post

Of course it depends on the terrain. Here in New England we wheel on granite boulders and control arms take a brutal beating. As do brackets, shock mounts, and whatever else is exposed.
Yup. I've seen plenty of suspension links bend from being smashed into rocks. In Moab, your long arms may as well be rock sliders. I've only wheeled with one rig that has IRO long arms and he hasn't bent anything yet, but I've seen quite a few others bend, but 95% of the rigs I wheel with run Clayton's and I haven't seen one of those bend.
Unread 07-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #27
Cameleer
1998 ZJ 

Here's a photo of my RE shock after my first offroad run on a easy forest service fire road.

I would have no problem installing another RE on a ZJ.
It's not a bad kit, just saying there's a few things that need to be improved and or replaced on it, like putting larger bolts through the CA mounts, which I did.

Here's a side view showing the RE lift, you can somewhat see the bend in the rear UCA. RE approved this mod before it was bent.

With the Fox shocks it rides very nice and I'm loving it.
Unread 07-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #28
DeansWings
1996 ZJ 

Quote:

So it sounds like no one has ever seen the iron rock arms bend or break, which was all I was trying to get at. I wasn't trying to imply that control arm strength wasn't at all important - cause then I'd be a retard and I'd probably have to donate my zj to a charitable cause.

But like you and bigdave, the ohv parks in Texas are pretty much only rocks, as its too hot and dry for mud or forests to exist. If you look at my YouTube link in my signature, there's plenty of control arm bashing (all tube), but I still haven't seen any fail. I am not trying to say tube is stronger, as I am a long way from an expert on the matter (yea I saw your formulas.... Nerd), I am just saying I believe it is strong enough.

Jk about the nerd thing

The Build:

North Texas Grands:

Grand Slam Texas!:
Unread 07-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #29
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

I prefer geek.
Unread 07-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #30
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Claytons
IRO
RE

in that order.

Don't let the newbs on here who've never been off road on a short arm kit or longarm kit tell you differently. They search for the best dollar deals to run back to the mall or park on a curb at school. I've been to too many Grand Slam events, GSE, GSMW and GSW for the last 15 years seeing what works and what doesn't. Claytons is more expensive but worth every penny.

However, I'm a shortarm guy. I ran 6.5 of shortarm RE with 33s and 35s.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
long arm lift , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.