zj long arm kits - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > zj long arm kits

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 04-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #31
Emac
1998 ZJ 

x2 . I'm considering the IRO 5.5" LA ( http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch..._Code=IR-Z5CPK ) or the RC 4" LA "extreme travel kit" ( http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_zj_4xla.html ) Id rather fab some and save money but this is my first mod on the zj and I figure I might as well get a kit cause I don't weld...yet. Ive heard the 4" RC x-flex kit needs track bars, more CA's, brake lines and other junk so it seems worth it to get the full long arm kit. I'd end up spending about 400 bucks less after piecing the x-flex kit together. Does anybody have either the IRO 5.5" long arms or the RC Extreme Travel? I know there are plenty of discussions on this topic but none specific to either of these kits for the zj. Thanks for the input.

Emac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #32
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

I just punished my IRO kit and it performed great on the rocks. I never needed to romp on the throttle ever getting around some boulder littered trails. I've also got a locked rear and 35" Goodyear MT/Rs so that helped a ton, but on short arms I would have probably broken something considering how difficult the trails were. The IRO LA kit has made me a real believer in long arms... there's just no comparison for off-road ability - no way, no how. Unfortunately, it's the only setup I've tried, and the design for the rear long arms could be better like Claytons but then you have to weld it in.

As for the RC extreme travel LA system, it has some design concerns IMO. Mostly, the front subframe is designed in a way that it's one piece. Servicing the transmission and transfer case will be a PITA without removing the front long arms and subframe. The rear doesn't seem to be as secure as IROs since it doesn't use a subframe, only has two LA mounts that bolt into the unibody. This one is argueable for strength though. Where the RC kit outshines IRO is it is much cheaper. IROs is proven though.
gabrod72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #33
nickszj
1998 ZJ 

Aee you running the full IRO long arm setup or long up front and short out back?

Looking for the right WJ to build into an expedition rig....
nickszj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #34
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickszj View Post
Aee you running the full IRO long arm setup or long up front and short out back?
Full front and back LAs.
gabrod72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #35
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

If I absolutely *HAD* to buy a kit, I'd get a rock krawler or TNT 3-link xj front and make it work, and then claytons rear.

That being said, I chose to build all of mine that way. If I had to pay for all the metal I wouldn't have saved much over buying the above. Just the joints alone (went with full rock krawler krawler joints) were $500+
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #36
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

Clayton's!!!!!

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #37
BigSteve

Do any of you guys have any experience with the Full Traction long arm kit? http://full-traction.com/detail.php?...CTID=395&NOTES= I like the idea of full bolt on, but the way that rear axle piece bolts on seems kind of iffy. Then the price is more expensive than the Clayton kit.
BigSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #38
nickszj
1998 ZJ 

Steve-after staring at it for a while, I do like that kit....a lot! Price is steep though.... I wish it were $500 cheaper and I would buy it!!

Looking for the right WJ to build into an expedition rig....
nickszj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #39
BigSteve

That was my thought exactly. I mean for the price you might as well buy the clayton kit and have it welded on.
BigSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #40
insaneshane
1993 ZJ 

Well I finally got a long arm kit and installed it
I went with the Rubicon Express 4.5" kit looks great but haven't used yet because now I have to do next upgrade do to the long arm kit
insaneshane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #41
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

what mod is that? tcase?

congrats. welcome to the long arm club. you're one of the cool kids now
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 10:33 PM   #42
insaneshane
1993 ZJ 

To bad there's so much more I want to do b4 I start using it
Better open up the checkbook I guess lol
Thanks I'm glad it's started
Unread 01-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #43
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

hahahahahaahha.

go get one of those airmiles/rewards credit cards. then at least after you've spend a small fortune on jeep parts you can get the wifey a little something for free via gift cards to justify the spending ask me how I know..........
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 11:02 PM   #44
insaneshane
1993 ZJ 

Gotta have a wife first
Haven't found one of those yet
I bet your wife gets spoiled with how much you've probably spent on your jeep

Tags
lift kit , long arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.