ZJ lift questions! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ lift questions!

TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
ashlandnicole
1994 ZJ 

ZJ lift questions!

Hi!
I have a 94 ZJ and I recently just bought 33's. So now I'm looking to lift it. I want at least a 4" lift, but I'm looking for suggestions on which kit to look into. I like the rough country one, but I've never known anyone with a lifted ZJ, just XJ's! So I need some opinions!!

Also, if anyone knows where to get colored extended brake lines, that would be super helpful!! I'm looking to find a set of pink ones.

Thanks!!

Unread 07-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
98ZJLTD
Your moms favorite Jeeper

1998 ZJ 

I just put the IRO 4.5 inch kit on mine a couple weeks ago. I havnt had a chance to wheel it yet as I ran into a cash flow sitch and still need to replace my ball joints and get it aligned before I can drive it up to any trails. With the little bit of goofing around I've done with it so far, it has a pretty decent ride even with the cheap shocks and it flexes pretty good too. Again havnt actually wheeled it yet but but from what I've seen so far I think it'll be pretty legit on the trails.

My build thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1557637/
98ZJLTD is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Either contact kolak from my SIG, buy the Rubicon express or iron rock offroad kits. RC is okay but not the front runner. Do not go with fat bobs or rocky road outfitters.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

What he said, there's a ton of these exact threads on here with your exact question.

It's all about money, use, money, who's installing, & money.

I had RC stuff on mine and replaced it as soon as I could! It's cheap for a reason, I don't think it last long in my opinion, or at least not for me it didn't. I drive mine everyday and play as often as possible.

I replaced it with ironrock offroad components, would have liked a complete new kit but funds didn't allow for that so had to put pieces together when I could.

Moral of the story...do it right the first time or spend it twice.

Ironrock offroad has a great complete kit for under $1700 IMO

ironman4x4fab.com has really good stuff

And kolak is the absolute best around that we will all swear by, and he can piece components together from different manufacturers
KyBoy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

I here good things about IRO. They have a 4.5" kit Ive been thinking of getting the springs to replace my 3.5 ranchos and 2"fat bobs bb. They only gave me 4" together. So now Im thinking w/o replacing the rest of the stuff and just getting the springs and adjustable control arms. Now that its been a year and one of my stock control arms just went. But anyways Ive heard good things about IRO.
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Lets not forget Iron Man. He's got some nice beefy stuff. I have the motor mounts and if the rest is over built like that then it's a good product. http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/index.html
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
Lets not forget Iron Man. He's got some nice beefy stuff. I have the motor mounts and if the rest is over built like that then it's a good product. http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/index.html
I did mention him....sheesh
KyBoy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
ashlandnicole
1994 ZJ 

Thanks for all the input guys! (: I appreciate it. I think with all your suggestions and all the research I've done, I'm going to go ahead with the IRO 4.5 lift. (:
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

critical path long arms. not that much more and well worth the money to make it better.

at the end of the day you will liley be adding parts and stuff to make the 4.5" kit work. might as well do it the first time.
trust me

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
98ZJLTD
Your moms favorite Jeeper

1998 ZJ 

^^^ He has a point. I should have mentioned this in my forst post but wasn't thinkin about it at first... if I was going install the 4.5 inch IRO lift again, I would get all of tie rod ends, drag link, and ball joints and have them on hand so i could replace them while i was installing the lift. If I had the funds I would also have the adjustable CA's on hand as well, but if that's not possible then at least change the stock control arm bushings as its relatively easy to do and they are probably blown out anyway. Even if you do go woth the critical path all the TRE's and ball joints should be replaced just to help avoid the possibility of death wobble.

My build thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1557637/
98ZJLTD is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i guess it depends. if you are going to get the kit without control arms... well... you will upgrde eventually. and if are one of those guys that wants all adjustable arms.... well....... its a short jump for the long arms......

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.