ZJ Lift Question - Panhard Bar - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Lift Question - Panhard Bar

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
ryanf77
1996 ZJ 

ZJ Lift Question - Panhard Bar

Hello All! Newbie here. Recently Purchased a 96 Grand Cherokee 4.0 for My Son's First Vehicle (He Can't legally drive for a year and a half so I'm gonna have fun with it til' then!) We've done all the Minor Repairs to it (Fixed Trans Output Shaft Leak, Trans Pan Leak, Oil Pan Leak, Passenger Door Lock Actuator, and a few other small items) Now it's time to get it up in the air a bit and get some larger rubber on it! I've searched the Forum and read about the BB Lift and others. What I decided to go with is a Rough Country 3.5" Lift. It comes with: 4 Nitrogen Shocks, Taller Front Coil Springs, Existing Front Springs go to the Rear, Front and Rear Lower Control Arms, Rear Track Bar Bracket, Sway Bar Links/Extenders, Bump Stop Extenders.

My question is: What else do I need to do after installing all the new parts (Besides an alignment and bigger tires) Someone mentioned replacing the Panhard Bar with a Heavy Duty Adjustable One. Is this necessary? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks in Advance...

ryanf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
GCjunkie93
1984 CJ7 

Welcome to JF!

An adjustable panhard bar isn't completely necessary as the kit tells you to drill a new hole, but most would advise against that. There are quite a few options that are pretty cheap, and come in handy if you ever want to go higher down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
ryanf77
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the Reply Junkie... You mentioned quite a few Cheap Options... Can You elaborate, please?

Thanks Again... Ryan
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Front and rear adjustable track bars would be the way to go. Don't cheap out on that. If you have ever had a track bar separate while you are driving you know what I am talking about.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
ryanf77
1996 ZJ 

What about a Track Bar Relocation Bracket instead of drilling New Holes and weakening the Original Bracket? How important is it to have the Track Bar Adjustable?
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
GCjunkie93
1984 CJ7 

I haven't heard good things about any relocation brackets. They're just as weak as drilling the original mount. With that said I've never ran one myself, so I can't speak for everyone.

Thanks for clearing that up Polka. I meant that there are options that won't break the bank, but also of good quality. Nearly everyone will praise Iron Rock Offroad for their quality, service, and so on.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
ryanf77
1996 ZJ 

Cool Cool! Guess I'm ordering Adjustable Track Bars! Anything else You can think of that I may need that I didn't cover above?
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I’ll second (or third) the recommendation to get front and rear adjustable trackbars. The brackets are weak and while drilling the existing front bracket is an option, it will result in the loss of strength in that bracket.

Also, since you have the 4.0, I would suggest looking around for a set of front springs from a 5.2L or simply getting a set of rear 3.5” lift coils. You’ll get closer to the full lift height that way and if you go with new rear springs, the ride will improve.

If you plan on offroading, you can also look at getting a set of quick disconnects for the front swaybar. I think Rough Country sells their own, but a lot of people use JKS and are very happy with them. I doubt you have one, but I’d also make sure that your front driveshaft is the u-joint type. The CV shaft will separate at your desired lift height.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

id go for new 3.5 inch lift springs for the rear. it will ride alot nicer
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #10
ryanf77
1996 ZJ 

Thanks Again for the Suggestions Guys... I will begin looking for a set of 5.2L Springs as Well as a Track Bar... I'll post Pics once I have some more posts (I Believe I have to have 25 posts before I can Post Pics on the Forum?)
Unread 09-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
Shekels
1995 ZJ 

So I just got back from a trip to Big Bear here in SoCal, and after rock crawling and beating the crap out of my 5.2 zj the rear panhard bar bracket peeled off the frame... Really a scary feeling when your rear end is no longer rolling, but shifting side to side. We rigged up a bunch of tie downs just to limp the jeep home. I'd suggest not going cheap on this piece of equipment. Or get an on board welder.

I'm looking to fab up a beefy bracket and get an adjustable bar.
Shekels is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.