Zj lift question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Zj lift question

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
Skinnykid19

Zj lift question

Hey guys I'm new here and I have a question I have a 93 zj with a 4 inch lift and 31s I was looking at the lift today. And I was wondering it still has the stock control arms and I'm going to have problems with that with the lift. Shouldn't they be longer with the bigger lift?

Skinnykid19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Combining two of my responses to recent threads regarding control arms:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJMatt

The lower control arms hold the axle front-to-rear under the jeep. They create that "triangle" where the vertical axis is the coil spring, and the hypotenuse is the control arm, so a longer arm will push your axle further back (and will be required to keep the same wheelbase as you increase the vertical - coil spring). This also goes for flexing - as the spring droops (length increases), the control arm swings down to make up for that, pulling the axle slightly forward with it. As the tire tucks, the spring compresses, the control arm moves upward, bringing the axle slightly backward.

The upper control arms work to "rotate" the axle, while the lowers control how far it is front-to-back within the wheel well. That rotation controls where your pinion yoke is, on an axis, thus affecting the angle that your driveshaft connects to it and the stress on the u-joints and pinion.
So without longer/adjustable control arms, your pinion angles will be off, putting more stress on the drivetrain, and your wheel base will be shortened which will cause issues with alignment and possibly getting your tires to fit.
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Skinnykid19

Can this cause death wobble
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
bigb229
1998 ZJ 

You're fine with four inches...have the alignment shop set it if you're green to the topic.....good to go til you get five or so inches of lift
bigb229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
Skinnykid19

Ok thanks and can someone tell me the main causes of death wobble I was told drag links and tie rod
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
jetjr91
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnykid19
Ok thanks and can someone tell me the main causes of death wobble I was told drag links and tie rod
Also worn bushings, loose trackbar/elongated trackbar bolt hole on axle bracket
jetjr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
Skinnykid19

Ok thanks
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
bigb229
1998 ZJ 

Toe in caster camber and a good balance on tires will most likely fix dw
bigb229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #9
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb229 View Post
You're fine with four inches...have the alignment shop set it if you're green to the topic.....good to go til you get five or so inches of lift
Stock control arms on 5" of lift is fine? At that point you prettymuch have the wheelbase of a VW Bug! And good luck getting even 31s to clear your rear fender wells in the front. Also lifted vehicles do not align the same way as stock. Your caster is going to be different, which you adjust by the control arms. On the factory setup the only thing you can adjust is toe which is easy enough to do at home.
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
Skinnykid19

I'm getting a mixed response here.
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
JAMS201075
1993 ZJ 

I've read 4.5" is about all you want to go on stock arms. Even at that it starts eating control arm bushing and the ride is alot worse. Just what i've read through searching.
JAMS201075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS201075 View Post
I've read 4.5" is about all you want to go on stock arms. Even at that it starts eating control arm bushing and the ride is alot worse. Just what i've read through searching.
I believe you mean SHORT arms? You can get longer fixed arms or adjustables that still use the stock mounting points. I just bought a new ZJ with a 4.5" lift and adjustable short arms and I haven't driven it on the road or trails yet but just around my yard I can tell you it rides rough.
Unread 05-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #13
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnykid19 View Post
I'm getting a mixed response here.
it's a forum, not everyone knows what they're talking about but they sure do like to type.

at 4" you need at least upper adjustable arms and you need to have good, newer lowers with good bushings. you also NEED to have adjustable track bars front and rear to horizontally center the axles.

3" is the cut off for being able to get marginally ok alignment numbers and acceptable driving and ride characteristics with all stock control arms. after that you need to start adding adjustable aftermarket arms. you can get away with just uppers(front AND rear) for up to 4", but after that all of the components will need to be adjustable if you want it to work well. plenty of people don't do this, and usually come here wondering why their junk rides poorly or they have death wobble they can't fix.

the two most common causes for death wobble are a failed track bar or a wallowed out hole at the axle end mount for the track bar. after that it's control arm bushings and so on down the line of steering parts. YOU need to get out and actually look at your steering and suspension to figure out what the problem really is. have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth between 9 and 3 and watch what the stuff in the front end is doing. anything that should move with the pitman arm(drag link and track bar) but doesn't should be replaced. anything that moves with the pitman arm that shouldn't (track bar, control arms, ball joints, wheel bearings) should be replaced.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

picture-7.jpg  
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Listen to rat.

I wouldn't go above 2" on stock arms. Definitely go for adjustables everywhere if you can and check that your track bars are adjustable as well.

It sounds like your PO took the cheap route to lift, other things to check for and rip out would be a tcase drop and front drop trackbar bracket. They are common with cheap lift kits and will cause you grief in addition to being unnecessary.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.