ZJ leaking coolant from behind/above crankshaft pulley - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ leaking coolant from behind/above crankshaft pulley

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 11-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
duhkooter
1994 ZJ 

ZJ leaking coolant from behind/above crankshaft pulley

My Zj is leaking coolant from behind/above the crankshaft pulley, the leak itself is large enough to cause puddling in 15 minutes after shutdown. Ive done some searching and a couple threads seem to point towards waterpump going bad, and if the waterpump is bad that i should go ahead and do the thermostat as well. I would just like a couple more opinions from someone more knowledgeable than myself.

image-1-.jpeg   image.jpeg  

Last edited by duhkooter; 11-06-2013 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: rotated picture
duhkooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

My water pump started leaking out of the pulley shaft and down on the balancer like that. Not nearly that bad though. I wouldn't drive that, it's on it's last leg and could leave you stranded anytime. When it starts leaking like that the coolant has gotten into the seals and bearings of the pump. It's done.

One thing I would do is clean it up really well and look around the timing chain cover to make sure it's not leaking there, but that looks like the pump.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
duhkooter
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
My water pump started leaking out of the pulley shaft and down on the balancer like that. Not nearly that bad though. I wouldn't drive that, it's on it's last leg and could leave you stranded anytime. When it starts leaking like that the coolant has gotten into the seals and bearings of the pump. It's done. One thing I would do is clean it up really well and look around the timing chain cover to make sure it's not leaking there, but that looks like the pump.
How hard of a job would changing it be if I brought along a couple mechanically inclined buddies?
duhkooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Took me a little more than an hour. The hardest part is scraping the old gasket off. Make sure it's not hot because when you remove a couple of those bolts coolant will pour out. I didn't remove the accessory bracket or any of the surrounding things. You wil probably want to replace your hoses too if they are old. Mine are new.

There are a lot of videos on Youtube on this.
Unread 11-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
dr hook
1996 ZJ 

When a water pump goers bad, it is designed to leak from the "weep hole" so that you can tell it is bad. Its an easy DIY replacement, especially with the youtube vids available. I would also do a t-stat, heater hoses, and radiator hoses if you can afford it. Its a good time to replace the serpentine belt as well, since you will have it off anyway
Unread 11-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

went my pump went down the john, it wasn't really hard to replace. did the same as yours but when I pulled lightly on the pully, the coolant would just pour out like from a 2 litre bottle upended. took me a little over an hr doing it alone(Bolts were seized on pretty friggin tight to be using small wrenches >_<). I'd say the hardest part is scraping off the old gasket and getting the new one aligned properly, and using that stupid tensioner that the serpentine uses.. I hate that thing... I guess I got spoiled by tightening via alternator lol
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
ghiotom
1996 ZJ 

I have to disagree about the tensioner, it makes things so much easier than loosening several bolts and having to pry like hell with a crowbar.
ghiotom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
Gazang
1997 ZJ 

You can do a quick test on your thermostat...

If you suspect it may be bad, (and are working around there anyways) remove your t-stat and put it in some water and heat the water.
With a thermometer on hand, watch the temp, and when it reaches ~195* F , the t-stat should pop open. If it does not, it's defective and should be replaced.
It's not an expensive part (8-10$) so if replacement is needed, no biggy.

Good luck with water pump r&r!
JS
Gazang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 02:36 AM   #9
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

It could be either 4 things..

A. Water pump
B. Timing cover gasket
C. Water pump neck connection under the accessory bracket
D. Thermostat gasket is bad or the thermostat housing is corroded.

My hunch... is its the Timing cover gasket or Water pump neck hose. These Magnum engines seem to have a common issue with the timing cover gasket.. Mine leaked just like that and I had to replaced the gasket... Only way your going to know what it is is to start looking... Get a flashlight and look take off the a/c compressor and alternator disconnect the big coolant hose at the radiator side and drain the hose and bend it upward out of the way and remove the accessory bracket and find where the leak is starting from.. It will only take like 15 minutes to remove all that stuff if you have the tools.

The water pump if your like me and go slow and steady will probly take 2-3 hours assuming you have all the tools/parts and gasket... My suggestion if you do replace it is to use The right stuff RTV on it and not the paper gasket... I had mine leak using the paper gasket so I had to take it all apart again.. Now if its just the small 2 inch water neck hose... that will take like 30 minutes... If its the timing cover gasket.... that took me and a mechanic friend about 8 hours to do.
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghiotom View Post
I have to disagree about the tensioner, it makes things so much easier than loosening several bolts and having to pry like hell with a crowbar.
True, true. Though I would always use a tow strap and heave my body weight into it and that always worked good for the truck and car I used to have. Plus mine is a weird reverse threaded type. Have to "loosen" the bolt to tighten the belt. It's a few threads away from being off the "nut" base.
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Not here I just put a ratchet on it with a pipe and pop the belt right off. Takes a few seconds.
Unread 11-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

The 4-slow has an adjustable tensioner, 5.2 has an auto tensioner. That's the one thing I don't miss about my XJ.

With the volume you're describing, I'm inclined to say it's the water pump. My timing cover gasket didn't drop that much coolant, and it had some pretty nasty spots.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
The 4-slow has an adjustable tensioner, 5.2 has an auto tensioner. That's the one thing I don't miss about my XJ.

With the volume you're describing, I'm inclined to say it's the water pump. My timing cover gasket didn't drop that much coolant, and it had some pretty nasty spots.
I couldn't compare because I have not had the timing leak yet but I can say that my pulley was leaking a little but when I took the belt off and gave it a wiggle it started leaking a whole lot suddenly. I doubt I would have made it anywhere else with it.
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

You could be on to something there - I've never had a pump go with gusto, as it sounds like from what you're describing.

At the very least, the Magnum block makes it extremely hard to diagnose leaks. Everything is really close together, with a lot of stuff obscured.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
steve_up
1997 ZJ 

Be careful when reattaching the thermostat housing, it's cast aluminum and likely soft with age. Torque to spec but be careful not to crack that housing.
steve_up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
Coolant leak , water pump , water pump failure , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.