zj- Interior lights will not turn off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > zj- Interior lights will not turn off

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
Fireball027
2002 WJ 

zj- Interior lights will not turn off

Hey everyone. I have another problem with my 96 grand cherokee. I recently found out that the reason my interior lights would not work was because the previous owner pulled the relay/fuse. I replaced it but now the interior lights will not shut off. All the doors are shut (the vic shows the doors shut as they all light up, except the hatch when open) and still the lights will not turn off. However if you put the key in and turn it they will then shut off, but thats the only time. I have no idea where to start or what to look for. Also the light in the hatch will not turn them off either if I push the button.

If anyone can help or has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks for the help

Shawn

Fireball027 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

I'm too tired right now to go hunt it down, but in the FSM it says that the interior lights are controlled from the Body Control Module. I think it sends a signal out to a master control relay for the lighting.

Once I take a nap I'll look it up for you.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
ZJTechie
1997 ZJ 

I had that exact problem for several months, which meant the easy fix was to remove the fuse as well. The fix I found was that there is a redundant switch system in the doors that makes the lights turn on when you turn the key in the lock. I simply disconnected the switches that are connected directly to the lock cylinders in the doors. The lights will still come on when you open the doors mind you, so disco'ing the lock switches won't affect anything badly. Also, that hatch button is really useful to check to see if your lights can turn off, by switching that over a few times, if the lights won't turn off, there is a problem still! Otherwise one click will turn them on all the time, and the other click will turn them off assuming the doors are all shut good.

My current JEEP score: 205 (see site below)
http://jeepboard.com/jeeprate.htm

Last edited by ZJTechie; 06-24-2009 at 12:39 PM..
ZJTechie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
97DCZJ
1997 ZJ 

ZJtechie, i had ur first original problem where the previous owner removed the relay/fuse, but i dont see any missing in my box. my interior lights never turn on when i open any of the doors. i have the same year, which means we have the same fuse box. which fuse/relay did u replace?
(Sold) 1997 Grand Cherokee Limited: V8 5.2L, 2" BB, 31" Dick Cepeks.
(Sold) 1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 4.7L, Stock.
(Sold) 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 5.2L ,3.5" lift, 32" Tires
97DCZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

Hey, there's a very simple cause for this. The switches on each door are self adjusting. If you close the door on the sealtbelt, or your coat, or whatever, it pushes the switch too far into the body, and the lights won't go off. This should also trigger the "door ajar" chime and light up the door on your VIC (if you have a VIC). That will tell you which door switch it is.

To fix it, get a tiny screwdriver or a thin blade to ease behind the button head of the switch. The head is actually held in place just with friction, so if you gently the head away from the switch, it should extend a ways. To "reset" to the proper length, simply close the door!

Why not spend the 5 minutes to do this to all 4 doors, just to be sure they're OK?
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
97DCZJ
1997 ZJ 

as quoted by techie "(the vic shows the doors shut as they all light up, except the hatch when open)"

thats why stella
(Sold) 1997 Grand Cherokee Limited: V8 5.2L, 2" BB, 31" Dick Cepeks.
(Sold) 1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 4.7L, Stock.
(Sold) 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 5.2L ,3.5" lift, 32" Tires
97DCZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
Fireball027
2002 WJ 

All the doors on the vic show they are shut, and the lights will only turn off if you turn the key forward in the ignition. Also should the vic light up if the hatch is open?
Fireball027 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #8
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

The "redundant" switches on the door lock cylinders are the disarm switches for the alarm function. They also signal the BCM to turn on the lights via a relay (the door jamb switches mentioned elsewhere turn them on directly by providing a ground, so they wouldn't shut off when you turn on the ignition.

Some people have issues with the alarm going off by itself, so they bypass it by grounding the disarm wire (Violet w/ yellow tracer). This often results in the interior lights remaining on (some people claim it doesn't do that for them). They then "fix" this by pulling the courtesy light relay or fuse.

The disarm switches are only present on models with the theft alarm. Look at the body controller connectors for the Violet/Yellow wire. Pull that connector and check that wire to see if it is permanently grounded. It should ONLY have ground if the key is in one of the door locks and turned to unlock.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
ZJTechie
1997 ZJ 

Wow, I didn't know those "redundant" switches were for the alarm, I may be able to fix my problem better than simply removing the switch, thanks for that. By the way, the only fuse I found removed was the passenger side kick panel one for the cabin lights, though you may want to check to make sure it isn't burned out.

My current JEEP score: 205 (see site below)
http://jeepboard.com/jeeprate.htm
ZJTechie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2009, 12:32 AM   #10
wightkliff
1997 ZJ 

I had same prob when I bought my 97 zj.. got it cheap cause of it. I honeslty spent two days messing with it, then opened all the doors, locked them with the remote, and manually pushed the lock "slide switch" to the max locked position all the plastic could handle. Then I shut the doors, and the alarm armed, and lights went out. Seems like the switch needed a reminder or something. Previous owner killed three batteries cause he was to lazy to pull the 2 fuses... Haven't had a problem with it since.
wightkliff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
58dodge
1997 FSJ Cherokee 

i have a 1997 cherokee jeep were is the relay fuse for the interior lights as mine ant working.
58dodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
Bigdjs123
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wightkliff
I had same prob when I bought my 97 zj.. got it cheap cause of it. I honeslty spent two days messing with it, then opened all the doors, locked them with the remote, and manually pushed the lock "slide switch" to the max locked position all the plastic could handle. Then I shut the doors, and the alarm armed, and lights went out. Seems like the switch needed a reminder or something. Previous owner killed three batteries cause he was to lazy to pull the 2 fuses... Haven't had a problem with it since.
Stupid question but what/where is the slide switch?
Bigdjs123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #13
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Its the sliding interior door lock on the door
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
Bigdjs123
1996 ZJ 

Oh lol ok I feel like a genius
Bigdjs123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.